Turn on thread page Beta

should I be put on roaccutane? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i've had acne now since 2012 (im 17 now) and I went to my gp a few years ago to try and sort my spots out.
    I've literally been on so many creams and tablets its ridiculous
    • benzyl peroxide
    • erythromycin
    • lymycecilin
    • trimethoprim

and none of them worked and i completed all the months long courses

my doctor now has reffered me to a dermatologist (APPOINTMENT ON 21ST OCTOBER)

Now my acne is by no means severe but just does not go away no matter what i do, it's persistent-ness is really making me quite upset because i HATE looking at my face in the mirrors in shops when i see the red inflammation and spots

because of the good weather my skin has got better because my face is darker so the spots blend in but would the derm notice that ?

if any of you have derm experiences could you go through what they do or any advice or anything!

thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Next step is topical retinoids before roaccutane.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by seanbolton94)
    So i've had acne now since 2012 (im 17 now) and I went to my gp a few years ago to try and sort my spots out.
    I've literally been on so many creams and tablets its ridiculous
    • benzyl peroxide
    • erythromycin
    • lymycecilin
    • trimethoprim

and none of them worked and i completed all the months long courses

my doctor now has reffered me to a dermatologist (APPOINTMENT ON 21ST OCTOBER)

Now my acne is by no means severe but just does not go away no matter what i do, it's persistent-ness is really making me quite upset because i HATE looking at my face in the mirrors in shops when i see the red inflammation and spots

because of the good weather my skin has got better because my face is darker so the spots blend in but would the derm notice that ?

if any of you have derm experiences could you go through what they do or any advice or anything!

thanks!
    From a results point of view, with Roaccutane I got outstanding end results so much so you wouldn't even know I had terrible skin when I was young. The negative effects from the drug while you're on it are terrible, you'll have uncontrollable dry skin, lips and nose and skin can be very tender.

But, its highly worth it. If your spots are bad, and they are really effecting your confidence; then Roaccutane is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    I've had acne for about 10 years and nothing has worked. I know how frustrated you must be, because I know what it feels like to take medication for months in the hope that it will work, only for it to do nothing. Like you, I don't feel like my acne is severe, but it is just so God damn persistent. I am also going to the dermatologist in a few months ... (Are you the male version of me?! :eek:)

The only thing I can say which could be of some help, is that the gel I am currently using seems to be working. It's Roaccutane in gel form, which is branded Isotretinoin. This is given to people when nothing else has worked and has only come into mainstream usage recently. You might want to try this before you jump straight in to taking Roaccutane in tablet form which can have side effects. Isotretinoin also only takes about 4-6 weeks before you will see whether or not it works.

Don't lose hope and just keep trying what you can.

ReputationRep:
    What random antibiotics! I've never heard of trimethoprim being used for skin I was under the impression it was generally used for UTIs!
    I was on tetracycline for mine and it worked a treat, no side effects and didn't dry my skin out. I'm not actually sure it's still avaliable as this was back in 2006!

Definitely try ruaccutane, I've got friends who used it and it worked wonders for their acne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Next step is topical retinoids before roaccutane.
    I've done that, does that mean I can ask to be prescribed it?

ReputationRep:
    If your doctor is going to prescribe it, he/she will talk you through the plethora of (potential) side-effects
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    I've done that, does that mean I can ask to be prescribed it?
    Ask for adapalene, If that fails ask for tazarotene.

I have used tazarotene for years because its so good for the skin!

The first 6 weeks of tazarotene is hell though as its the strongest retinoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Ask for adapalene, If that fails ask for tazarotene.

I have used tazarotene for years because its so good for the skin!

The first 6 weeks of tazarotene is hell though as its the strongest retinoid.

Thankyou..although it's eased up on chest and back I get very sore breakouts on my face. It's got better, since the six years have had it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    I've had acne for about 10 years and nothing has worked. I know how frustrated you must be, because I know what it feels like to take medication for months in the hope that it will work, only for it to do nothing. Like you, I don't feel like my acne is severe, but it is just so God damn persistent. I am also going to the dermatologist in a few months ... (Are you the male version of me?! :eek:)

The only thing I can say which could be of some help, is that the gel I am currently using seems to be working. It's Roaccutane in gel form, which is branded Isotretinoin. This is given to people when nothing else has worked and has only come into mainstream usage recently. You might want to try this before you jump straight in to taking Roaccutane in tablet form which can have side effects. Isotretinoin also only takes about 4-6 weeks before you will see whether or not it works.

Don't lose hope and just keep trying what you can.
    maybe i am :eek: ahh okay! I'll remember that and tell my dermatologist about that! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunningScotsman)
    If your doctor is going to prescribe it, he/she will talk you through the plethora of (potential) side-effects
    roaccutane can only be prescribed from a dermatologist in the hospital! so you need to get a referral from your GP like I did, even then i might not be put on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbolton94)
    maybe i am :eek: ahh okay! I'll remember that and tell my dermatologist about that! thank you
    Isotretinoin gel was prescribed by my GP not a dermatologist, so you could try it before your derm appointment if you go back to your docs.

ReputationRep:
    Read this first. The potential side effects. http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingb...-suicide-3494/

ReputationRep:
    im fully aware of the possible side-effects. i am not naive enough to not have already researched it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2013
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.