Turn on thread page Beta

If you had to kill the animals yourself, would you still eat meat? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let's say if farming completely stopped and pre-killed/pre-packaged meat and fish was no longer available, and instead you had to buy live animals and fish and kill them yourself... would you bring yourself to do it?

I'm pescetarian and I personally think I would be able to kill small fish, like sardines, but not large ones like tuna.

What about you? Just curious.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes however I would kill em them the most painless way possible.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to kill it but was given easy instructions to turn a cow into a steak or how to properly get the breast for a chicken then yes. If it was all left to me and I was just cutting chunks out of a dead pig to eat then probably not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think if anything I'd be more comfortable with it, knowing that I'd made it as quick and painless as possible (assuming we had the right equipment and everything).
    I already eat fish that I catch and don't feel guilty for doing so - they've lived a wild life, and I dispatch them humanely and quickly - and they taste al, the better for it!

ReputationRep:
    Hell no

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much the killing of the animal that would put me off the meat, it'd be the keeping of the animal, needing the space and being able to give it the proper care would be very time consuming not mention expensive. Then there is the sectioning the carcass into different bits of meat that seems like a hassling job.

Would I be able to kill an animal to eat it? Yes probably, if that was the situation I was faced with.
    Would I be willing to go to all that effort for meat? No, not unless it was very cheap and I had a lot of free space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryJames)
    If I had to kill it but was given easy instructions to turn a cow into a steak or how to properly get the breast for a chicken then yes. If it was all left to me and I was just cutting chunks out of a dead pig to eat then probably not

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not exactly easy to turn a cow into a steak... there's a reason butchers undergo training.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, probably. At least then I'd know it's been slaughtered in a humane way, I'd know how fresh it is and I'd get the best cuts of beef.
    I'd need to learn how to butcher animals though - my only experience is from roast chicken and I tend to make a mess of that!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would happily kill the animals myself and and eat them with very little fear or regret!

ReputationRep:
    The majority of us used to do it before supermarkets, so I'm sure we could do it now too.

ReputationRep:
    I would be a lot happier to kill them myself. If I was given instructions on how to, obviously. To be honest I'd feel a lot more comfortable eating meat that I had raised and killed myself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    It's not exactly easy to turn a cow into a steak... there's a reason butchers undergo training.
    Would you kill chickens or cows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nopenopenope)
    The majority of us used to do it before supermarkets, so I'm sure we could do it now too.
    It's one thing saying it and another doing it. To hold down a squealing pig and kill it is not something many people could do, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Would you kill chickens or cows?
    No. I don't eat them now either.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would.

I'm guessing the OP is hinting that humans should somehow be repelled by the idea, but it's not true. Millions of humans the world over kill and eat their food with no qualms whatsoever.

Getting or food from the supermarket shelves is merely a convenience that society has developed to ensure continuity of supply and improved quality and quantity of production as demand has increased to meet the growing requirenents of an increasing world population, largely made up of city dwellers.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No. I don't eat them now either.
    If they were the only thing to eat I bet you would, your self preservation instincts would override your thinking.

ReputationRep:
    It's one thing saying it and another doing it. To hold down a squealing pig and kill it is not something many people could do, believe me.
    You don't have to do that though, you could easily shoot it or something instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Yes I would.

I'm guessing the OP is hinting that humans should somehow be repelled by the idea, but it's not true. Millions of humans the world over kill and eat their food with no qualms whatsoever.

Getting or food from the supermarket shelves is merely a convenience that society has developed to ensure continuity of supply and improved quality and quantity of production as demand has increased to meet the growing requirenents of an increasing world population, largely made up of city dwellers.
    I'm not hinting at that at all. I have family members in eastern Europe that still kill their own animals. I'm simply curious to see how many people would actually do it.

I'm sure that quite a few people saying "yes" on this thread could actually not bring themselves to do it if they were in that situation. And I'm not trying to big myself up, because I certainly couldn't (apart from small fish as I said)

ReputationRep:
    No problems in killing them with the intention of eating it later.
    But eating what i have killed is bothering.....I would rather eat what neighbours or some others have killed .....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.