Not buying Microsoft Office and using a free alternative? Watch

Naiyan. J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering if anyone has used an alternative to Microsoft Office like LibreOffice, Open Office or Google Docs so as to save some money.

And if so would you recommend it? If anyone has I'd be very happy if you could explain any issues... my main fear is compatibility issues when opening documents and the format going all wrong or sending a lecturer some random doc and he/she can't open it.
Compli_Kate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've used Open Office and haven't had any compatibility issues at all. It is pretty basic and not as flashy as Microsoft but it has everything I needed for first year at Uni. As I remember, it had all the science symbols that I needed (like degrees and theta). The only issue I had was the word equivalent document not having Microsoft's equation tool.

It's free so you may as well try it
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use Open Office and that's fine. The default setting is called .odt, which does sometimes have some compatibility issues. But if it does you can just save it in .doc or .rtf formats and it's fine.
JoFr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Open Office is good one and so is Libre Office. They save the work in compatible formats and can be readily opened across the the various suites. Have a read - http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-money-1139295
iNeedHelpPls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im pretty sure the university has OpenOffice installed for you to use on campus anyway.

I use OpenOffice and have never had a problem work wise and I actually prefer it to Microsoft Office as you dont have all corporate ribbons and so on shoved in your face, it just does the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed