The Student Room Group

Do people who see the world in black and white, annoy you?

I don't know why but recently I've become a bit enraged with some people in this world. They only see the world in black and white, nothing in between. "BUT.... BUT... THE LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON!!!" If it slightly breaks the law, i.e. you accidently go through a red light, you are a bad person and you was doing it on purpose! Another example... Your boyfriend is an abusing and cheating dick. You cheat on him. You are a bad girl because there is no grey! I'm sure there are more examples but it just annoyed me since reading forums of "The Last of Us".
I don't think going through a red light by accident qualifies someone as a bad person...
Yh it annoys me too. Like when someone is an abusive relationship others think that that person is stupid but dont understand that it doesn't start off like that. I also had a friend of mine and we had a discussion she said that when a girl dresses like a tart that it is partly their fault for getting raped and I lost it at her she does not see the in between the blacks and white.
Reply 3
Original post by Jonnybravo
I don't know why but recently I've become a bit enraged with some people in this world. They only see the world in black and white, nothing in between. "BUT.... BUT... THE LAW IS THERE FOR A REASON!!!" If it slightly breaks the law, i.e. you accidently go through a red light, you are a bad person and you was doing it on purpose! Another example... Your boyfriend is an abusing and cheating dick. You cheat on him. You are a bad girl because there is no grey! I'm sure there are more examples but it just annoyed me since reading forums of "The Last of Us".

Couple of things:
'Duas iniurias non facere ius' - Two wrongs don't make a right. More importantly, people who annoy me are not necessarily those who allegedly have a black-white worldview, but those who believe that there is a universal black-white worldview.

What the majority now refers to with this allegation is a law-abiding citizen with mainstream norms and values rejecting any type of deviance. In fact, consider the greatest faculties of mind of philosophy and you'll discover that many of them unashamedly held a black and white view on what was around them.

Indeed, contrast the German idealism of Hegel with dialectical materialism of Marx - one could see them as coming from parallel views but the fact is both of them held an utter black and white view on the human development, history and society.

Any belief that there is a universal objective truth to be acquired and/or discovered leads to such conclusion. If positivist thinking leads to such, wouldn't alternative lead to the colourful worldview where we make sense of things as we do of abstract art?

Ultimately the conclusion is we either accept empirical reasoning or we might as well go back to the Common Sence judicial system of Earl of Orford.
Reply 4
Oh look how non-judgemental, enlightened, analytical I am, damn those that are not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending