Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've been contemplating trying to start private piano lessons, with the objective of achieving a Grade 5 in Practical & Theory Exams by the time I apply to university. I understand that Grades 6, 7 and 8 give me UCAS points, but frankly, I'm not interested in UCAS points. Getting As and A*s is the requirement for the universities I am going to be applying to, not x many UCAS points (not trying to be arrogant, it's just the truth). Basically, my two elder brothers BOTH did Grade 5 instrument exams before applying to University (they both got into Imperial, doing Phys. and Aerospace). They also got very good grades, which I realise I must also do. Basically, what I'm asking is:

How much will Grade 5 in Piano help my application, providing I get good enough grades at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got two distinctions in violin and piano and I've found that different universities have contrasting opinions. When I spoke to an admissions tutor at Cambridge they said they weren't interested in extra-curriculum activities whereas when I went to Durham they were really keen to hear about it. So it depends on what universities you're going for - it would probably be worth emailing them maybe?

Hope you've given yourself plenty of time to learn - learning piano from scratch as you get older isn't easy!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdMiller)
    Hey all,

I've been contemplating trying to start private piano lessons, with the objective of achieving a Grade 5 in Practical & Theory Exams by the time I apply to university. I understand that Grades 6, 7 and 8 give me UCAS points, but frankly, I'm not interested in UCAS points. Getting As and A*s is the requirement for the universities I am going to be applying to, not x many UCAS points (not trying to be arrogant, it's just the truth). Basically, my two elder brothers BOTH did Grade 5 instrument exams before applying to University (they both got into Imperial, doing Phys. and Aerospace). They also got very good grades, which I realise I must also do. Basically, what I'm asking is:

How much will Grade 5 in Piano help my application, providing I get good enough grades at A-level?
    Obviously it won't hurt to have it, but it will depend on how much time you have to spend on it, it's not easy if you want a good score in it but if you're interested in it you'll make the effort, if not, I'm not sure it's worth it.

At the top unis, every little thing will make you better than the next candidate though, keep that in mind

ReputationRep:
    According to my teacher, being able to play an instrument can be helpful as it can show self-disclipine and a good work ethic (since you have to practise your instrument), which can help in self-studying at uni

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try and go to some open days at universities, ask some admissions people about it, etc.. just to get as much information as I possibly can.

By the way, daisy, I'm not just starting from scratch learning piano, I've been playing for about 4 years now and I am certain I can get at least a pass in Grade 5 by December of this year (I've looked at the syllabus and tried out some of the pieces, it really isn't too hard; only thing I'm worried about is sight-reading D.

Thanks again, guys!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They might help, but it's a lot of work so don't do it if you're only doing it for your UCAS application.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.