When to start looking for housemates Watch

Higgs308
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I was just wondering when the best time to start looking for housemates for next year was? I want to move in from September/October but almost all the ads I come across seem to be advertised for people to take over the lease from July. I can't really afford to pay summer rent and I fear that if I find a house I like and say I want it from September someone who can take it from before then will beat me to it. Do you think I’d be better off looking nearer when I plan to move in? Is there still a reasonable selection of houses with spare rooms nearer the beginning of term? I'm looking in Southampton which does have a large student population.

Thanks.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's the norm in many cities to find that contracts start in July. The reason for this is that the landlord doesn't want to not have an income (but still have a mortgage to pay) over the summer. You may, however, depending on the local market, be able to negotiate half rent for July and August.

You shouldn't be surprised if someone else takes the property from July if you're only willing to pay from September. Ultimately what you're asking the other tenants to do is pay your share of the rent over the summer for you, so you shouldn't be surprised if they aren't too keen on that idea. Whilst I don't know Southampton's rental market, it's likely that there will still be some spare rooms available in September, but these may not be the best ones.
lornaaaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are loads of student houses available, so if you do get snapped up on one - there are always other landlords looking to fill their houses! Not to mention some people need somewhere to stay just for summer, so places can free up in September
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lornaaaa)
There are loads of student houses available, so if you do get snapped up on one - there are always other landlords looking to fill their houses! Not to mention some people need somewhere to stay just for summer, so places can free up in September
Yeah, seriously, this. There are still plenty of houses advertised around the university right now (and I'd be willing to bet that the same ones, plus a few more, will be there at the start of term, being as there's basically nobody around right now except people who already have places to live).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads