Deprived children rent Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bentleys Watch

Galileo Galilei
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hool-prom.html

What do people think about this article? I thought it was a cheap shot from the daily mail to make a mockery of these teens but I do not know what is worse, that or the fact they think that the article is a good thing. DISCUSS!
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nothing wrong with it really, it's just escapism for one night. I could think of better things to do with the money if I was in that position, but their choice, I hope they enjoyed themselves
jilebinator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do they all have the same haircut?
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
Should've worked harder at school, so they can actually buy one of those when they're older.
Rainingshame
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Galileo Galilei)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hool-prom.html

What do people think about this article? I thought it was a cheap shot from the daily mail to make a mockery of these teens but I do not know what is worse, that or the fact they think that the article is a good thing. DISCUSS!
It certainly was a cheap shot, there is no evidence of any other reason for writing the article as it seems to have no point.
As for what they're doing, it's their money and if they're not paying for it with tax payers money I don't see an issue anyone can have.
Rainingshame
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Should've worked harder at school, so they can actually buy one of those when they're older.
Who says they didn't work hard in school? there's certainly a chance that at least one or more could leave with 10+ A*/As and plenty more who fulfilled their potential by getting, for them, high grades.
Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course it's a waste of money, but if they want to splash out like that then fine.

I do find it amusing that someone feels they can show off something they've merely rented, especially if they aren't even driving it. It'd be like me showing off a jumbo jet because I paid for a flight in it once.
doggyfizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Daily Mail are disgusting, they are actually having a go at some kids spending a few quid on celebrating the end of their education. So ****ing what? They aren't scrounging for years, or blowing their money on drugs for years at a time, its few hundred quid being split between them. They are leaving school probably with qualifications so they can escape the deprived area they grew up in. Good luck to them, hopefully the end of their school is the beginning of something better. It also says 1/10 are out of work, so there are plenty that have just paid for this themselves.

The Prom with expensive cars has been a staple where I grew up, helicopters, ferrari's and such are standard, kids usually save up over the year and their parents chip in too. Usually cost about £100-£200 each to get something nice, unless you know a friend or something who has a nice car you can borrow for the day.
cleveradam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They should rename NRA the Teenage Car Festival show. Atleast in London anyways.
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rainingshame)
It certainly was a cheap shot, there is no evidence of any other reason for writing the article as it seems to have no point.
As for what they're doing, it's their money and if they're not paying for it with tax payers money I don't see an issue anyone can have.
It was, my father is a friend of the person who wrote it and he got the article in an email and he showed me it and all he was doing was laughing at them which was pretty unfair..
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
ISA, it does not say they they were lazy or have failed at anything...
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
The Daily Mail are disgusting, they are actually having a go at some kids spending a few quid on celebrating the end of their education. So ****ing what? They aren't scrounging for years, or blowing their money on drugs for years at a time, its few hundred quid being split between them. They are leaving school probably with qualifications so they can escape the deprived area they grew up in. Good luck to them, hopefully the end of their school is the beginning of something better. It also says 1/10 are out of work, so there are plenty that have just paid for this themselves.
Where do they "have a go at them"? Are you not letting your blind hatred of the Daily Mail colour your perceptions somewhat?
im so academic
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rainingshame)
Who says they didn't work hard in school? there's certainly a chance that at least one or more could leave with 10+ A*/As and plenty more who fulfilled their potential by getting, for them, high grades.
1. They're deprived, so they're less likely to get good grades in the first place.
2. Only 1?
3. If they had some intelligence, they would realise that blowing their money on that isn't the smartest of decisions.
im so academic
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Galileo Galilei)
ISA, it does not say they they were lazy or have failed at anything...
No, but it does mention they are deprived. They're hardly that deprived if they splash valuable money on cars.
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
Where do they "have a go at them"? Are you not letting your blind hatred of the Daily Mail colour your perceptions somewhat?
C'mon mate, read between the lines
doggyfizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
If that is not the point its a non story. The Prom phenomena has been happening for years, as I said we've had the exact same thing happening at my secondary school for over decade, and plenty of others all over the country, so the idea people hire cars for special occasion is the story clearly isn't true. The only reason the Mail have decided to print this is because poor kids are doing it, which would be relevant why? Either its provocative article, or its a non story. Obviously they can't come out and talk about how disgusting it is poor kids are spending money on things other than study guides but the article leads to that point by mentioning otherwise irrelevant points like 1/10 are out of works, one of London's poorest boroughs. As is said in the comments, would they have written this story about a load of private school kids doing the same?

Other statement like this
Many of those in the more expensive rides switch later to 'after-cars' - saloons or larger vehicles - which they can travel in together, often getting involved in road races. Videos of the day, set to pounding hip-hop and R&B soundtracks, are posted on YouTube.
As is said above, you don't really need to read between the lines to see the tone of the article.
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
No, but it does mention they are deprived. They're hardly that deprived if they splash valuable money on cars.
I see what you mean
Galileo Galilei
Rep:
?
If that is not the point its a non story. The Prom phenomena has been happening for years, as I said we've had the exact same thing happening at my secondary school for over decade, and plenty of others all over the country, so the idea people hire cars for special occasion is the story clearly isn't true. The only reason the Mail have decided to print this is because poor kids are doing it, which would be relevant why? Either its provocative article, or its a non story. Obviously they can't come out and talk about how disgusting it is poor kids are spending money on things other than study guides but the article leads to that point by mentioning otherwise irrelevant points like 1/10 are out of works, one of London's poorest boroughs. As is said in the comments, would they have written this story about a load of private school kids doing the same?
Look at the captions for the pictures, terrible
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's wrong with a non-story? All publications are full of them. It's along the lines of : "look what these kids are doing" How is that any different from any other tabloid journalism/TV? Is it any different from most low-budget documentary television?

You just want to vent your rage and blind hatred of the Daily Mail which you presumably see as a surrogate for Middle England.

Why not be honest about it? In fact, why not start here? TSR is so much more extreme in every way. Why not vent your spleen here and spend all your keystrokes telling everyone here how "disgusting" you find them?
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. They're deprived, so they're less likely to get good grades in the first place.
2. Only 1?
3. If they had some intelligence, they would realise that blowing their money on that isn't the smartest of decisions.
That isn't their fault and the you can't say that they have definitely not got good grades.

Off topic: Have you got an offer for Oxford/Cambridge yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (133)
27.14%
No (357)
72.86%

Watched Threads