Turn on thread page Beta

When is an ideal age to get married? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 atm not planning on getting married yet, still studying...! I want to finish my degree and then settle down and have kids. But what is the right age to get married ?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a right age to get married though? I got married when I was 21 but I knew and been a couple since my since I was 16.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    There is no ideal age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think there are a few considerations:

1. The need to live a bit before you have kids
    2. The need to know someone well before making a permanent commitment
    3. The need to have a bit of life left in you after your kids have grown up.

In an ideal world I would say late 20s to settle down and early 30s for kids. Of course all of this assumes that these things come along for you at the time you want.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, it would be late 20's - early 30's, where I've been in a relationship with the person for a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    27.28. You get better wedding presents and gifts when our friends are older and have money.

ReputationRep:
    must be different for everyone - I have my own mnd and involves being complelty financially secure and also give myself a chance to see as much of the world as possible before getting the old ball and chain - personally id be happy with late 30s, everyone has a different idea of when their life would be ready.

ReputationRep:
    When I find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with be it 19 or be it 29

ReputationRep:
    When I'm ready.

ReputationRep:
    About 22-23 so I have finished uni, found a job hopefully (fingers crossed) and then I can settle down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I know of a few people of my age and even a few younger who are married. I've been with my partner for four years, I know of a lot of people who get married when they've been together less time, but I just feel too young! Perhaps I'm immature, possibly, but I don't feel ready yet.

That being said, I love my partner, I love the idea of having a family with him and spending the rest of our lives together, so maybe soon! I'd say late 20s.

ReputationRep:
    I think about 28

ReputationRep:
    For me about 25-27

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you want to.
    Not sure why people have these set ages they want to be married by. You don't explode like a time bomb if you're not married by a certain age.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally i'd say mid to late 20's

I don't think there necessarily is an ideal age, apart from when it feels right.

I don't have many criteria apart from wanting to marry them, being fairly financially stable and having lived with them for a while beforehand. Whether that happens in my early 20s, mid 30s or whenever, I'm not all too fussed.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get married around my mid 20s and have my first child before I'm 30.

Just gotta find someone first :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAmerican)
    27.28. You get better wedding presents and gifts when our friends are older and have money.
    This is absolutely true. Additionally, in your early to mid 20s, it's an inescapable fact that most of your friends will be complete morons. Unless you are fortunate enough to be well funded by whatever means, you'll have a sub-par wedding to which you will invite your idiot friends and relatives who will behave like...well a bunch of 23 year olds at a wedding - everything will be done on the cheap and you'll end the day with a hangover and a five toasters from Debenhams.

On the other hand, if you get married young - you will always have that extra time together and "the jump" on other people. We were 24/21 when we got married, and have 10 or more years on other people we know. There's less (self-generated) pressure to have children or find someone. People our age who are still single are rushing about "interviewing" anyone they can - when in truth they hardly spent their 20s having huge life experiences or travelling the world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll ever be ready to be married tbh. I don't think it's for me.

ReputationRep:
    Never

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2013
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.