The Student Room Group

Always push people away

Whenever I begin to talk to someone I always end up wishing they'd leave me alone. I never want to get close to people, and if I do the feeling never lasts long.

However I always want to feel like people want to talk to me or like me (this sounds so attention seeking). I'm a quiet person and don't really like being the center of attention, but sometimes I want to see that someone likes me, even if I don't like them.

I find it hard to tell people this though, as when someone talks to me I feel I have to be nice to them and can't stand the idea of upsetting someone.

Does anyone feel like this?

I'm aware this makes me sound like an evil bitch.
I get the same thing! I don't mean to put words into your mouth or anything, but personally, it was the worst when I was going through some mental health problems and had a very negative view of myself. I wanted relationships but then it got too scary for them to know about all the personal difficulties I was having, or I felt like they didn't deserve to have me and my problems `inflicted` on them. I'm happier and healthier now, although I still sometimes feel like running away from people when we get too close, I'm able to fight that most of the time. I hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I get the same thing! I don't mean to put words into your mouth or anything, but personally, it was the worst when I was going through some mental health problems and had a very negative view of myself. I wanted relationships but then it got too scary for them to know about all the personal difficulties I was having, or I felt like they didn't deserve to have me and my problems `inflicted` on them. I'm happier and healthier now, although I still sometimes feel like running away from people when we get too close, I'm able to fight that most of the time. I hope this helps x

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to self diagnose myself, but for the past year or so I have been having bad periods of feeling seriously down for no reason. I don't know if this influenced my feeling towards not wanting to be close to anyone, maybe making me scared without actually knowing it. I actually have never been in a relationship and I sometimes wonder if this is partly to blame. Yeah it has, good to know I'm not the only one who feels like this :smile: x
It's something I've noticed in myself in the past year and it's really worrying me. When I'm alone I'm fairly content because I can do exactly what I want. In spite of this I've always made sure I maintain a social profile. More recently I've been becoming more withdrawn because it's easier. Turning down party invitations, never texting my friends back etc.. I don't even bother speaking to my family.

There's this nagging feeling of inadequacy because I'm not into the one thing that humans really need to survive- human interaction. Is this really bad?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's something I've noticed in myself in the past year and it's really worrying me. When I'm alone I'm fairly content because I can do exactly what I want. In spite of this I've always made sure I maintain a social profile. More recently I've been becoming more withdrawn because it's easier. Turning down party invitations, never texting my friends back etc.. I don't even bother speaking to my family.

There's this nagging feeling of inadequacy because I'm not into the one thing that humans really need to survive- human interaction. Is this really bad?

I don't feel like that, it's more that I want the attention but I'm scared of rejection. I also want the attention just to reassure myself I'm not disliked, or to know someone noticed me.

I must say though, you should maybe ignore they feelings as hard as it is, as I know people who became very withdrawn leading to them becoming extremely unhappy, almost like they turned into complete zombies. Talk to someone, it might help :smile:
maybe your scared of rejection so instead of them not liking you, you push them away before they can do it to you. maybe try challenging yourself to stay talking to someone for an extra five minutes and you may be surprised

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by mushy bananas
maybe your scared of rejection so instead of them not liking you, you push them away before they can do it to you. maybe try challenging yourself to stay talking to someone for an extra five minutes and you may be surprised

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do believe I am, as much I want to deny it. On the rare occasion I have wanted to talk to someone it hasn't turned out well. Spent 5 months talking to someone almost every day, basically led on and then they got a girlfriend and blanked me. I know, I should do something like that.
Gosh, that sounds like me. I've never told anyone I'm like that though, I just force myself to smile and act like I want to be around people. I get fed up of people really easily, yet I don't like to never interact at all. It sounds awful, doesn't it?
Okay, not sure why that's saying I'm the thread starter, because I'm not? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending