The Student Room Group

Shameless money saving tactics at university

What it says on the title!

What do you do at university to save money which may be frowned upon by genteel society?

Here are some of my favourite shameless money saving tips for uni students:
- taking sugar/salt sachets from the uni canteen so I don't have to buy any

- going to the shop at 11pm for the reductions

- going to the toilet on campus to save money on toilet roll :colondollar:

- staying at the warm, toasty library on cold evenings to save money on heating

- going to our department open days pretending to be a prospective student for the free buffet (a lecturer recognised me once, luckily, he was there for the same reason) :biggrin:

Share your stories and spread your wisdom, my fellow misers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you take the campus bog roll home with you?
Reply 2
Original post by Hopple
Why don't you take the campus bog roll home with you?

Haven't quite got to that stage of thriftiness yet although I've considered it many times.

But I have been known to take napkins from the canteen :ninja:
Reply 3
Taking lots of free pens from freshers fair (i went every year) to stock up on 'stationary'

Also when there was a careers talk i heard there was free lunch so went, put lots of food on my plate and sneaked off without listening to the talk..lunch sorted lol
(edited 10 years ago)
10p noodles, scramble up some egg put that in there, some chilli flakes instant cheap meal
Reply 5
Re using toilet paper.

Stealing food from flatmates.

Pretending to be a hobo outside Costcutter singing "Beautiful by Christina Aguilera" so I can a Stella and a pack of Oreos.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I go to other people's buffets, ask if I can have what's left, lurk until everyone is finished, then stuff my bag with food for the week.
Reply 7
This is bad, and I don't condone it:

My wife stole a Henry Hoover from Halls for her student house.
Reply 8
Original post by heavenlyphoto
10p noodles, scramble up some egg put that in there, some chilli flakes instant cheap meal

About noodles, they're very easy to make and flour (and water) is very cheap. If you want to include the eggs you can make egg noodles.
Original post by tehforum
Re using toilet paper.

Stealing food from flatmates.

Pretending to be a hobo outside Costcutter singing "Beautiful by Christina Aguilera" so I can a Stella and a pack of Oreos.

:wtf: say what now?
Original post by chikane
Taking lots of free pens from freshers fair (i went every year) to stock up on 'stationary'

Over my 3 years at uni I never bought a single pen.
Original post by Clip
This is bad, and I don't condone it:

My wife stole a Henry Hoover from Halls for her student house.

I'm surprised the accommodation office didn't retract the cost of a new hoover from her (or everyone in the flats) deposit?
Reply 12
Original post by SkinnyKat
What it says on the title!

What do you do at university to save money which may be frowned upon by genteel society?

Here are some of my favourite shameless money saving tips for uni students:
- taking sugar/salt sachets from the uni canteen so I don't have to buy any

- going to the toilet on campus to save money on toilet roll :colondollar:

- staying at the warm, toasty library on cold evenings to save money on heating

- going to our department open days pretending to be a prospective student for the free buffet (a lecturer recognised me once, luckily, he was there for the same reason) :biggrin:

Share your stories and spread your wisdom, my fellow misers.

Total Ninja.
Reply 13
I used to steal the communal toilet roll. I also went shopping at closing time to get the reduced food, that's not exactly shameful though.
Reply 14
If you're in London - don't just abuse your own Fresher's Fair - abuse as many as you can get into! And don't forget the ULU one too!
Choosing shifts at work based on whether or not I will get a free lunch

Going around freshers fair and collecting any freebie going (bottle openers, condoms, pens)

Not eating anything but Dominoes for two weeks of the year, when it's free (with a voucher)

Not putting the heating on until everyone is wearing at least two jumpers

Using a hot water bottle under my jumper to keep warm in winter
Reply 16
Original post by SkinnyKat

I'm genuinely interested in this, because I hear supermarkets would rather dump leftover stock

and how does it even work? do they literally have reduced price tags on all their items on display?
Original post by Jack93o
I'm genuinely interested in this, because I hear supermarkets would rather dump leftover stock

and how does it even work? do they literally have reduced price tags on all their items on display?

It depends on the shop, but I've noticed if you go to the co-op at around 8pm onwards then their bakery isle then a lot of their loose bakery products, such as the breads (non bagged breads) and sometimes things like loose doughnuts will be on sake for like 5p or 15p. It is pretty good, but of course bread is highly persihable so it would be pointless buying bulk unless you share with room-mates.
Buying clothes for fancy dress parties, tucking the labels, going on the razz and returning them the next day.
morrisons are pretty good at putting out reductions...... you need to be quick though before some greedy idiot buys the lot!!!

Latest