The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought Ill share somethings which my friend does at university, some you wont believe.

As he was asian, he used to go to his relatives house, co-ordinating it so, different days he will go there for food, as they would keep inviting him, that was dinner sorted for him. For lunch he used to have a george foreman grill; he then used to get about £4 from everyone to make healthy lunch, he used to pay £5 for someone else to buy the products, then he used to put the chicken breast in george foreman grill as well as some potatos, zucchini and some spinach. Close lid and serve it, he used to end up getting a free lunch and he sometimes made profit, haha and if there were left overs he gives it to someone if they wash up everythingg enius imo and he just closes the lid

when he lived in a flat, he used to go to the campus library to charge his phone and laptop and go to the canteen for free water and refills his water bottles.

best, because he was an avid bodybuilder, he never used to drink in clubs, used to go to those ones where you get a free drink with entrance fee, and used to sell the drink in the club, rofl frugalness
Original post by tehforum
Re using toilet paper.

Stealing food from flatmates.

Pretending to be a hobo outside Costcutter singing "Beautiful by Christina Aguilera" so I can a Stella and a pack of Oreos.

:lol:
currently making notes, by the time i finish my first year of uni i'd be coming out with more money than what i started with
OMG love this thread!

I'll take this into account lol I start uni in September! I'll definitely be raiding the freshers fair as well as going supermarket shopping late. But some of the things you guys have done are disgusting ><

In halls I thought everything was included in the bills? Things like electricity and water...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised at everyone stealing straws and not trays - my student house was full of BK trays for eating on the couch :s-smilie:

As for bargains - local market or fruit and veg shops are usually MUCH cheaper than supermarkets

And lidls do the nicest biscuits :yep:
Roadkill -> free meal
Original post by George Matkin
I'm starting Uni (Derby) in September I've written all of these down apart from the sleeping with a granny one lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously mate, It wasn't deliberate! the only upside was i got paid for it!
Original post by YummyDietician
OMG love this thread!

I'll take this into account lol I start uni in September! I'll definitely be raiding the freshers fair as well as going supermarket shopping late. But some of the things you guys have done are disgusting ><

In halls I thought everything was included in the bills? Things like electricity and water...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They usually are included in the bills if you live in halls, however a lot of students move into flats or houses and share rent with friends after the first year, electricity and water usually aren't included in these private rentals.
Reply 108
Original post by InsertWittyName
Roadkill -> free meal

You're the guy that pushes cats in front of speeding cars, aren't you! :holmes:
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet (or i have missed it)

It may not be one of the BEST but i've managed to make like £40 in a year, just by buying the stuff i usually buy and getting cashback from it. before you buy something, check this site and go through them...

Even stuff like signing up to a free love film trial or getting an insurance quote can give you money.

Also I manage to save A LOT of money by buying curry sauces and just freezing dinners... i only need to go shopping every 2 weeks for this, so i spend like £15 a week on food.

Never underestimate how much cheaper Asda or Aldi is compared to everywhere else, at least for me it has been! even if you have to get it delivered. Those clubcard/nectar points just dont even justify it!

PREDRINK HEAVILY, it's important to enjoy yourself even if you cant afford it, 1 bottle of wine for a fiver, and a free entry flyer (can be found at your university's halls on the floor somewhere). £5 for the whole night.

Only ever buy deals, if you're not a fussy eater then only buy something if it is on a deal (except the essentials) that way you always eat something new and save a lot of money.

Don't be tempted. Once you have fought the first temptation you can fight all the rest, this counts for clothes, going out, ben and jerry's...

And finally I will say this. SAVE MONEY! in your first year you're gonna have more money than you will for the other 2. you need to save at leave £1500 i would say for a flat deposit/rent/bills before september... probably the most important piece of advice i've found
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 110
do a nude cam-show while studying. good money
Original post by SophieSmall
They usually are included in the bills if you live in halls, however a lot of students move into flats or houses and share rent with friends after the first year, electricity and water usually aren't included in these private rentals.

Oh dear I'm gonna have to watch then :frown: I won't be in halls in the 1st year I'm doing a foundation year... So they won't allow me *sighs*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YummyDietician
Oh dear I'm gonna have to watch then :frown: I won't be in halls in the 1st year I'm doing a foundation year... So they won't allow me *sighs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's strange, I'm taking a foundation year also but I'm allowed in halls :/ sorry about that.
Original post by smd4std
do a nude cam-show while studying. good money

The funny thing is... You could probably make a lot of money from doing that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
That's strange, I'm taking a foundation year also but I'm allowed in halls :/ sorry about that.

Soooo lucky! I want to cry so much! I'm going to Hertfordshire and I guess it's because the foundation year is based both at the college and uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkinnyKat
What it says on the title!

What do you do at university to save money which may be frowned upon by genteel society?

Here are some of my favourite shameless money saving tips for uni students:
- taking sugar/salt sachets from the uni canteen so I don't have to buy any

- going to the shop at 11pm for the reductions

- going to the toilet on campus to save money on toilet roll :colondollar:

- staying at the warm, toasty library on cold evenings to save money on heating

- going to our department open days pretending to be a prospective student for the free buffet (a lecturer recognised me once, luckily, he was there for the same reason) :biggrin:

Share your stories and spread your wisdom, my fellow misers.

Wow, I was not expecting that at all. But on a student budget I suppose you can get away with it. :P
Original post by Jack93o
I'm genuinely interested in this, because I hear supermarkets would rather dump leftover stock

and how does it even work? do they literally have reduced price tags on all their items on display?

I work at ASDA and there is meant to be no waste at the end of each day, even if it means reducing items to 5p. A store will get in trouble and cannot lie about the amount of waste because it all gets scanned. Things that get reduced are items with that sell by date on (but some don't have to be eaten for another week), so breads, cakes and anything in fridges :smile: You can get some really good deals!

stock up on butter with the tiny butter packets they hand out at the cafeteria in halls :cool: !

if its a month till the semester is to be over, then do not wash clothes until i go back home to chuck all of it in the washing machine :dance: !

eat other ppl's bread - but this is only because they ate my salad :argh: ! (shared fridge in halls)

eat only noodles and cheese for lunch - all.the.time. :tongue: !

eat only choco and healthy carrot cakes as snacks (the tesco ones are really cheap :cookie:) - all.the.time. !

look longingly at the Pizza Express pizzas at Sainsbury's and just get Chinese and salad instead for dinner :eating: !

too many to remember at the same time...........:biggrin: !

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by emmajade95
I work at ASDA and there is meant to be no waste at the end of each day, even if it means reducing items to 5p. A store will get in trouble and cannot lie about the amount of waste because it all gets scanned. Things that get reduced are items with that sell by date on (but some don't have to be eaten for another week), so breads, cakes and anything in fridges :smile: You can get some really good deals!

I'm going to try ASDA this week. I went into tesco last week at around 11pm and found nothing reduced :confused:
Original post by Jack93o
I'm going to try ASDA this week. I went into tesco last week at around 11pm and found nothing reduced :confused:

It's more like 8/9pm. There are reductions all day (done about 3 times a day for chilled stuff) but the last ones are the really really cheap stuff but may be the less desirable things - fruit tends to go after the morning or afternoon reductions!

Latest