The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bieberfever
Think it also means you can use it whether you spend £10 or £100

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's even better. Again, thanks :smile:
Original post by SkinnyKat
They dump left over stock which has gone past it's best before or use by date even though it might be perfectly fine to eat. Biscuits, crisps, fruit and veg are all perfectly fine to eat days after the supermarket says it's gone off. Meat is more risky but if it passes the sight, smell and feel test then I'll eat it :biggrin:

They reduce things that are about to go off soon. Like, if something is due to expire on the 21st, then they'll reduce it on the 20th hoping for a quick sale. There's usually a whole shelf dedicated to reduced items.

Also, if your supermarket has a hot food counter - hang around there at closing time. Juicy legs/thighs of roast chicken in various marinades for literally pennies :coma:

I think people are too quick to throw out food that's past the use by date. It's usually fine for a little while after. I've never been sick from doing it but I know people who throw anything out on the exact day. The waste!

My dad got some reduced lemon cupcakes on discount yesterday from Morrisons, but they have the use by date as the 13th August:s-smilie:.
Excellent tips are given here.

I definitely will start and recommend other freshers to start with freshers week.

Use it maximum to stuff stationary items and what ever you get for free, even if you think you won't use it still stock it. Later you can exchange it with other items with your flatmates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
I'm not a uni student yet. But at home I can make tea for three of us, using 1 tea bag! And my mum has her tea quite strong! When my mum/dad does it they use 2 bags, sometimes 3! It just takes me a minute or two longer to do, but over a lifetime, if I only use half as many tea bags as my parents do, that saves quite a bit overall.

One of my friends who was in halls said they mainly drank tap water that year. They didn't have to pay extra for water/electricity so they thought they'd get as much out of it as they could. They'd also take loads of napkins whenever they ate out and used it as tissue/kitchen roll.
(edited 10 years ago)
Exactly.

I also in ug whenever I used to eat out I used lo stock up the napkins and back at home I used it as kitchen rolls.
They were not as thick as kitchen rolls but still when combined as 2 or 3 they would serve the purpose.

Sugar, flakes, Italian seasonings all sachets would be stocked up and used even with noodles as required by taste.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rising_Sun
Excellent tips are given here.

I definitely will start and recommend other freshers to start with freshers week.

Use it maximum to stuff stationary items and what ever you get for free, even if you think you won't use it still stock it. Later you can exchange it with other items with your flatmates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is starting to sound like trading packs of cigarettes in prison :lol:
Original post by SophieSmall
This is starting to sound like trading packs of cigarettes in prison :lol:

You can call it so lol.
But it will come really handy at times :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rising_Sun
You can call it so lol.
But it will come really handy at times :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah I'm sure :') I doubt I'll actually need to do all these crazy money saving things, but I probably will to save as much money as possible :P
Hahah I'm sure :') I doubt I'll actually need to do all these crazy money saving things, but I probably will to save as much money as possible :P

Yep that is what this is all for. Nobody will do everything that is mentioned. It's their choice to choose what they want :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wonderful tips good or bad. Keep 'em coming.
(edited 10 years ago)
you, admired surviving people, how much do you have to spend on living expences per week?
Original post by makeitorbreakit
you, admired surviving people, how much do you have to spend on living expences per week?

between 80 and 110 a week depending on the month because of outgoing rent and stuff is what I've calculated. :smile:
Shop at TK maxx for clothes especially if you want to look like you splash out on designers but can't afford to.
Reply 153
This thread is amusing and practical.

Cheap shops: Aldi and £ shops
Bring my drink in a hot flask & packed sandwiches to uni and avoid starbucks.
Discounted section at supermarket: Final reduction in the evening. It reduces the grocery bill
Free food: Attend company presentations at uni with free drinks, food and stationary, ditto for gallery exhibitions. My favourite: gatecrash Christmas parties and graduation ceremonies
Eat much as you can buffets
Cinema: Get onto invitation list for free previews or 2 for price of one offer with Cineworld on Wed
For hardcore savers: Some shops bin their sandwiches & salads, try dumpster diving.
A fellow student picks up discarded oranges at open air markets and makes his free OJ
Free haircut as a model from a trainee stylist, ditto treatment from trainee beautician
Ask for free samples at cosmetic counters
I heard about people who get loo paper and liquid soap
Reply 154
It depends on the shop, but I've noticed if you go to the co-op at around 8pm onwards then their bakery isle then a lot of their loose bakery products, such as the breads (non bagged breads) and sometimes things like loose doughnuts will be on sake for like 5p or 15p. It is pretty good, but of course bread is highly persihable so it would be pointless buying bulk unless you share with room-mates.

You can freeze bread pretty well and then unfreeze it in the oven! It's pretty tasty :smile: It goes all crunchy and warm, and it even tastes fresh!
My flatmates were dirty ***** who never cleaned the kitchen. So I decided to use their ingredients when I was making meals. Was making chinese food the whole year. :sogood: when you make meals that weren't even your ingredients to make it it tastes so much better.

Anyway in terms of food, I must beat everyone, used to cook my lunch for the week in a rice cooker, just used whatever I had, pasta/spaghetti/rice and if I had tomatoes and veg I pour it in with a stock cub and that was my food for the week. Then I buy bread, jam and water for snacks. Times were hard... Tesco value was banged out too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Smushy
You can freeze bread pretty well and then unfreeze it in the oven! It's pretty tasty :smile: It goes all crunchy and warm, and it even tastes fresh!

good point, I hadn't thought of that :smile:
Reply 157
Free food - get a road kill

JOKEEEE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
Original post by qr95
Free food - get a road kill

JOKEEEE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would get road kill badger. I want a badger burger (it sounds so good) and can't find one anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Original post by kumori
I would get road kill badger. I want a badger burger (it sounds so good) and can't find one anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gotta have some cheese on that as well lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending