A-levels or Apprenticeship?... Watch

Joe785
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I just finished year11 and have always hated school however always seem to have been getting decent grades. All my GCSE's will be A's or B's which is good enough to get me into my chosen Alevel courses ( Biology, Chemistry, Business and Physcology ).However like I said I have always hated studying and school with a passion and am dreading the thought of sixth form. I have also been offered an apprenticeship in marketing which is something I have always been interested in. I don't know weather or not my career progression would be limited because I would only have GCSE's and an NVQ in marketing. I really want to do this apprenticeship however I'm holding back cos I don't want to waste my life and end up with a job I hate that pays **** money so... Any help/advice on which I should choose?...

BTW another plus is that the marketing apprenticeship pays £265 a week.
cdtc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry I am going through the same situation as I want to do an engineering apprenticeship but I'm reconsidering now because the longer you stay in education the more money you are likely to earn plus if you ever decide to change your career path at least you have your a levels so I think you should go sixth form then when your finished go uni or apply for a higher apprenticeship that way you can do both
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joe785)
So I just finished year11 and have always hated school however always seem to have been getting decent grades. All my GCSE's will be A's or B's which is good enough to get me into my chosen Alevel courses ( Biology, Chemistry, Business and Physcology ).However like I said I have always hated studying and school with a passion and am dreading the thought of sixth form. I have also been offered an apprenticeship in marketing which is something I have always been interested in. I don't know weather or not my career progression would be limited because I would only have GCSE's and an NVQ in marketing. I really want to do this apprenticeship however I'm holding back cos I don't want to waste my life and end up with a job I hate that pays **** money so... Any help/advice on which I should choose?...

I would go with a levels.
Reason being because its only 2 years of your youthful life. It opens a lot more doors than if you only had gcses.
For example, if you decide you love marketing so much you may decide to do a university course to bolster your long term wages, which wouldn't be viable if you didn't have a Levels. It almost sets up a back up if you either want to boost your salary or to go other routes if you find the apprenticeship no longer works out.
Be aware if you do a Levels that biology and chemistry are some of the hardest subjects, so make sure you have a suitable back up option if worse comes.

Also to mention, marketing firms are open to you after university as well as apprenticeships which should get you higher wages. More 'higher' firms ask for 280 ucas points I believe which may help (it's like BBB).

Posted from TSR Mobile
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joe785)

How long is this apprenticeship? If it's only one year, you could consider taking a year out and take A-Levels afterwards? It may clear your mind. The problem is though that once you've tasted that freedom you may not go back, and personally I think A-Levels are definitely good to have because they give your more options. Even if you don't do a degree (and you don't need to), if you change your mind in 20 years it will be straightforward to do it if you have A-Levels.

Here is the data for qualifications and earnings.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my experience, apprenticeships are just as difficult, if not even harder to get employed in than regular jobs. In fact, there was a time when I was applying for many apprenticeships but getting rejected from everything, and then I eventually gave up on getting on to any after 3 months of trying. So with that in mind, since you already have a chance of a particular apprenticeship in front of you, I would recommend you take it now and make the most of it. Proper work experience and relevant professional qualifications are sometimes better for entering a certain career route than just blindly following a solely academic path. And then you can always do A Levels and/or a degree afterwards if you wanted.

Just to add, don't feel like you should do sixth form just because it's seen as the done thing. I went to sixth form for that reason but hated it and did crap in my A Levels so it hasn't put me in much of a better position anyway, so I kinda wish I'd done something else instead after finishing GCSEs. Just think about all your options carefully and hopefully you'll pick the right one. Good luck! :top:
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is true that you can always do A-Levels later, but you have to be careful, because you will only be funded doing A-Levels if you are under 19 when you start them. So if you take too much time out now and then change your mind, you will have to pay to do A-Levels. That is why it makes more sense to start them now or in a year from now. That's why I asked how long this apprenticeship is - if it is only a year, I would do it, and then go back to sixth form and do A-Levels. But if it is two years or longer, I would do A-Levels now, and then do an apprenticeship afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads