Turn on thread page Beta

HTML5 Games watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good Evening,

For various reasons, I have started to create an implementation of a flash game I knew in HTML5/JS. Obviously, the flash implementation is relatively secure from modification (and therefore author marks can not be easily removed if the game is displayed on another website). However, despite the ability to obscure JS, this can be fairly easily worked around.

As such, I was just wondering if people had any ideas for other ways to protect the code from being stolen (I have no issues with people implementing the game on their own site as long as they keep my author-mark), or if I am being too worried about this happening?

Robert

ReputationRep:
    You could make the user accept a license agreement which forbids copying without crediting. Or... Write the game in NativeClient (which means you'll have to use C++ and it'll only be accessible for chrome users).
    The user agreement option is probably the best, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil-h)
    You could make the user accept a license agreement which forbids copying without crediting. Or... Write the game in NativeClient (which means you'll have to use C++ and it'll only be accessible for chrome users).
    The user agreement option is probably the best, however.
    I intend to have some kind of copyright notice or similar, however people happily violate copyright these days.

While I am aware of NativeClient, then the reason I am writing in HTML5 as opposed to flash is for cross-browser support/compatibility

ReputationRep:
    You can't protect your code. Javascript is executed client-side, and people are free to lookup the source code and do whatever with it. Your only option would be to write your game in a language that cannot be decompiled easily. But personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.