Turn on thread page Beta

Is chart music going through a good patch? watch

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I haven't been particualrly bothered with new songs but over the last few months I've noticed some excellent tunes like:

Bastille-Pompeii
    John Newman
    Chris Malinchak - So Good To Me
    Icona pop - I love it
    and some others I forget the name

Does anyone agree with these sentiments?

Pompeii is ****e, it baffles me why people like that. But yeah I really think there has been an improvement with music in general with my favourite songs being

Rihanna - Stay
    Ciara - Body Party (which imo is the best R&B record of the 2010s)
    Miguel ft Kendrick Lamarr - How Many Drinks
    Mariah Carey - Beautiful
    Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision
    P!nk - Try
    Destiny's Child - Nuclear (noone seems to know that they released a new song earlier in the year!)
    Azealia Banks - Yung Rapunxel
    Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    Kelly Rowland - Kisses Down Low
    Kelly Rowland - Dirty Laundry
    Rudimental - Waiting all Night
    AlunaGeorge - Attracting Flies
    MIA - Bring the Noize
    Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines
    Duke Durmont - Need U (100%)
    Iggy Azalea - Work
    Kanye West - Black Skinhead
    Jay-Z - Holy Grail
    Jay-Z feat Beyonce - On the Run

Edit: LOL at the negs. Oh TSR, stop thinking liking that sort of music puts you below others. Stay mad xoxox

ReputationRep:
    It has got better I would say and I hate chart music, wait until Christmas time and it will be crap again

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    Pompeii is ****e, it baffles me why people like that. But yeah I really think there has been an improvement with music in general with my favourite songs being

Rihanna - Stay
    Ciara - Body Party (which imo is the best R&B record of the 2010s)
    Miguel ft Kendrick Lamarr - How Many Drinks
    Mariah Carey - Beautiful
    Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision
    P!nk - Try
    Destiny's Child - Nuclear (noone seems to know that they released a new song earlier in the year!)
    Azealia Banks - Yung Rapunxel
    Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    Kelly Rowland - Kisses Down Low
    Kelly Rowland - Dirty Laundry
    Rudimental - Waiting all Night
    AlunaGeorge - Attracting Flies
    MIA - Bring the Noize
    Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines
    Duke Durmont - Need U (100%)
    Iggy Azalea - Work
    Kanye West - Black Skinhead
    Jay-Z - Holy Grail
    Jay-Z feat Beyonce - On the Run
    As I can see you and the OP have very differing tastes in music, I know it's a matter of opinion but in regards to the OP. The very music you're stating is showing improvement within the charts, the OP is saying is the problem with the charts

ReputationRep:
    Technically, isn't chart music always going through a good patch? You know, coz it's the most popular?

ReputationRep:
    To me, chart music is garbage as it has been for a long long time. I rely on old music and less mainstream stuff unfortunately. And no I'm not one of them weird alternative kids. Not liking the **** that comes out today is called logic. Unfortunately there are many illogical people.

[QUOTE=Dinasaurus;43667151]As I can see you and the OP have very differing tastes in music, I know it's a matter of opinion but in regards to the OP. The very music you're stating is showing improvement within the charts, the OP is saying is the problem with the charts

I presumed the OP was talking about the lack of generic dance music this year, as that's something which was hugely popular recently & detested by many

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    The songs I've stated are very similar to what's been on the charts for a very long time. I presumed the OP was talking about the lack of generic dance music this year, as that's something which was hugely popular recently & detested by many
    I kind of see it similar to how, to someone not from a certain country there is effectively one accent but to someone from there, there are all sorts of regional dialects. To many people I know, dance music, rnb, hiphop, dubstep is all the same but to others anything from Bastille to Elvis falls under rock. Evidently neither of which is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Untill the songs in the charts are actually written by the people performing them then it will be crap in my opinion. The people with talent are the writers and they gt verry little money compared to the people they write for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I stopped listening to the radio until a few weeks ago when I started to listen out of necessity and I like some of the songs especially John Newman and Rudimental

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dance music has improved I guess, and some of the artists are better

ReputationRep:
    TOTP/chart music was a blast in the early to mid 90s; the music ever since has been pretty tawdry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
    define 'good' in this sense

ReputationRep:
    Bastille are ****. Disclosure are great though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plainview)
    Bastille are ****. Disclosure are great though.
    They have an old school uk garage feel to them

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking some of the more alternative dance music in there like that naughty boy and disclosure makes a change from the repetitive **** that Guetta, Pitbull, Wiley etc. put out every 5 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy Lanka)
    Untill the songs in the charts are actually written by the people performing them then it will be crap in my opinion. The people with talent are the writers and they gt verry little money compared to the people they write for

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not entirely true Timbaland for instance isn't exactly skint is he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but isn't whether if something is good all a matter of opinion? Therefore, since chart music is the music that most people think is good in their opinion, wouldn't that make chart music always good? Since, you know, it's the kind of music that more people think is good than any other music.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I'd say yeah, to a small extent. Like people have said, John Newman is great, as are Rudimental. Also, wasn't Let Her Go by Passenger pretty high in the charts? That song is beautiful.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.