Nice to meet you, TSR! Watch

Night_owl_93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

My names Andrew and I have just signed up to TSR to get help with pretty much my life to sum it all up lol

I am 20 years old, although not many people will believe me, I barely have an education, my history goes back to my disability, I suffer from hip dysplasia which limits my mobility, I had multiple operations during my school years which caused me to lose concentration on my work and never got to finish my GCSE's therefore I never got to do A-levels or get any work experience.

I really hope there is someone who can help me because it has all resulted in me hitting rock bottom as a result, basically no education, no work experience and a very small CV.

Many Thanks, Andrew
thelion0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We're all here to help! Welcome to TSR!!

-TheLion0
Galileo Galilei
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Night_owl_93)
Hi all,

My names Andrew and I have just signed up to TSR to get help with pretty much my life to sum it all up lol

I am 20 years old, although not many people will believe me, I barely have an education, my history goes back to my disability, I suffer from hip dysplasia which limits my mobility, I had multiple operations during my school years which caused me to lose concentration on my work and never got to finish my GCSE's therefore I never got to do A-levels or get any work experience.

I really hope there is someone who can help me because it has all resulted in me hitting rock bottom as a result, basically no education, no work experience and a very small CV.

Many Thanks, Andrew
Hi Andrew, sorry to hear about your sad history, hopefully you could make the most of life anyway. Welcome to TSR and hopefully someone will give you some help !
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by thelion0)
We're all here to help! Welcome to TSR!!

-TheLion0
Thanks
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Galileo Galilei)
Hi Andrew, sorry to hear about your sad history, hopefully you could make the most of life anyway. Welcome to TSR and hopefully someone will give you some help !
Thanks
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks
Welcome to TSR
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all,

Many Thanks, Andrew
Welcome!

Have you had any thoughts about how you can start to move back into education or progress it further? Have you completed any GCSEs? What's it like for you studying now, is it difficult?
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Welcome!

Have you had any thoughts about how you can start to move back into education or progress it further? Have you completed any GCSEs? What's it like for you studying now, is it difficult?
Hi Fullofsurprises, I have had a lot of trouble over the last few years because admittedly, I let myself go lazy which I feel is partly my fault as some time has moved on so I'm not quite sure where to start. To answer your second question, I was in hospital in and out over my childhood which left my studying very small as I feel it all took away my discipline and concentration to study to the point which I was getting very stressed to not even want to do school. For your third question, I have tried home study but it doesn't feel as social (I think I used the term correctly) to work with groups or have a teacher. To be honest, I feel very left out at times, but I am really trying my best to find a way to fix it. Thanks
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by meenu89)
Welcome to TSR
Thanks
DaniiWilson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could you go back to college and study at GCSE level? i'm sure if you explained your situation a college would help you get on the GCSE courses that you need to do in order to continue on then later and get your A-Levels there too. That's if you feel up to studying in college now?
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaniiWilson)
Could you go back to college and study at GCSE level? i'm sure if you explained your situation a college would help you get on the GCSE courses that you need to do in order to continue on then later and get your A-Levels there too. That's if you feel up to studying in college now?
Hi Danii, that is kind of what I really want to do but all the colleges I live near just offer Adult education in stuff like arts and crafts or creative writing, that sort of stuff to which I have no interest in doing, my goals are to complete my GCSE's, move onto A-levels and go to university, also because my interests are so high, none of the adult education courses offer any subjects. I will do anything just to get a good education right now
DaniiWilson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Danii, that is kind of what I really want to do but all the colleges I live near just offer Adult education in stuff like arts and crafts or creative writing, that sort of stuff to which I have no interest in doing, my goals are to complete my GCSE's, move onto A-levels and go to university, also because my interests are so high, none of the adult education courses offer any subjects. I will do anything just to get a good education right now
Aww that sucks! I thought you would at least be able to study English, Maths and Science at GCSE level in a college because people can re-sit their GCSE's in those subjects in my local college? It's great that you're actually trying to do something by the way, and not just giving up
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaniiWilson)
Aww that sucks! I thought you would at least be able to study English, Maths and Science at GCSE level in a college because people can re-sit their GCSE's in those subjects in my local college? It's great that you're actually trying to do something by the way, and not just giving up
Thanks, I have looked into my nearest college and the closest I can find is English and Maths GCSE but no other subjects because I know you need some others to progress onto A-level, trust me, I have been so out of touch for a long time, all my friends have finished their uni studies and are taking on full time jobs and I feel that its time I overcome my laziness and sort my life out!
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Fullofsurprises, I have had a lot of trouble over the last few years because admittedly, I let myself go lazy which I feel is partly my fault as some time has moved on so I'm not quite sure where to start. To answer your second question, I was in hospital in and out over my childhood which left my studying very small as I feel it all took away my discipline and concentration to study to the point which I was getting very stressed to not even want to do school. For your third question, I have tried home study but it doesn't feel as social (I think I used the term correctly) to work with groups or have a teacher. To be honest, I feel very left out at times, but I am really trying my best to find a way to fix it. Thanks
Given what you've been up against, I wouldn't think of calling yourself 'lazy', it sounds like you are putting yourself down and I would urge you to see if you can avoid doing that. You've had a great deal to put up with, many people would have coped less well than you in the same circumstances I'm sure. Just look at the situation in terms of how can you make a fresh start and try assuming you did the best you could up to now?
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all,

Many Thanks, Andrew
Hello Andrew, i'm lucine.
Welcome to TSR!
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had. I'm sure you'll find help here everyone is pretty helpful (I shall try to help if i can)

It's nice to meet you
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucine.B)
Hello Andrew, i'm lucine.
Welcome to TSR!
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had. I'm sure you'll find help here everyone is pretty helpful (I shall try to help if i can)

It's nice to meet you
Hi Lucine,

Nice to meet you too, most of the people I have met on here are really interested in giving me the support I need and I feel very grateful for that.

Thank you
Night_owl_93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Given what you've been up against, I wouldn't think of calling yourself 'lazy', it sounds like you are putting yourself down and I would urge you to see if you can avoid doing that. You've had a great deal to put up with, many people would have coped less well than you in the same circumstances I'm sure. Just look at the situation in terms of how can you make a fresh start and try assuming you did the best you could up to now?
Hi Fullofsuprises,

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I feel that even though I have learned a lot over the last few years, I feel that it has affected me in every aspect, social and professional, for a while I did home learning which made me feel very distant from my friends while they were all at uni or working and when I got told its not a recognized qualification, I felt really bad about it, sure physiotherapy helped my leg but I still couldn't do sports to join in with friends so I had a really hard time to fit into places.

But when I decided it was time to overcome my problems I went to the local college to try an Access course but got told that my mind has been so inactive for a long time that I may have to restart my education.

I am really sorry to sound like I'm whining but I feel its time I got advice and sort myself out, trust me, my story is a big one.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you want to do?

If you want to get some qualifications, then I'd recommend speaking to your local college to see what is on offer.

If you want to go into work, then the Job Centre may be a good starting point (I wouldn't normally recommend them). They should be able to point you in the direction of work experience, training courses and even employment.

The two can run together - there is no reason why you cannot do both.

Most importantly, though, you should stay positive. You've had a rough time and it will do no good to beat yourself up over it. Move forward.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Lucine,

Nice to meet you too, most of the people I have met on here are really interested in giving me the support I need and I feel very grateful for that.

Thank you
Ah well thats TSR for ya haha . Thats nice. I also wanted to say that dont worry bout the not having much education, my friends dad left school with no GCSE's and now he's got a top job! There hope for everyone haha. So many ways for you to gain skills.
Btw its not too hard to get some experience, start in local places that may or may not be relative to the job you wish to have in say the next ten years then try some bigger businesses. For some places you'll have to be quite persistent and saying that you'll work for free should help also.
How are you finding life at the moment???
I am currently doing my a levels and shall be starting year 13 this september. Looking forward to it because school will finally be over next year, but not looking forward to it because of all the work. Really don't want to get stressed out!

Also do you have any aspirations for the future???
OWN4G3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's up man? Welcome to TSR!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.78%
No (443)
73.22%

Watched Threads