anxious/nervous about moving to university? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone else feel like this and in what way? How are you dealing with it and how do you plan to deal with it once at uni? Any personal experiences?

I'll tell you my story briefly on this subject. I'm starting to get really nervous about uni. I went to uni last year miles away and it didn't work out. This has made me a really nervous person. On top of this I have a lot of family problems at the moment which don't help my anxieties. I'm going to a uni much closer this time (an hour or so away as oppose to one in the USA) and I'm still worrying all the time. I guess I'm scared it may not work out again this time. I won't get into my family problems but they aren't pretty and don't help.

So, yeah, what are everyone else's reasons and solutions for being nervous for uni? (even if it's for moving away from home- i know i'm nervous even though it's my second time!!)
AlesanaWill
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm nervous about Uni. I think you'll find very few people who aren't pretty nervous about it. But I understand what you mean - that your anxiety is particularly bad and you don't want it to mean you leave University.

I think posting this thread is a good first step. Talking about the fact your nervous helps calm you down. When you get to University it might be a good idea to make yourself known to the counselling team. Be honest to people around you about how you're feeling - chances are they'll be nervous too and will be relieved to talk to someone about it. Yes you might be more nervous than them, but you'll still have familiar ground and so hopefully a bit of support to stick it out.

The key is to get past the pain barrier with anything new. I was like this with college: I dropped out twice before finally sticking it out there. The first two times I left after only a few weeks, before everything had settled. If you can get past the first few weeks, it gets a lot easier. Things settle, you get into a routine, you make friends, the anxiety reduces.

I'm sort of planning to throw myself into University and try to leave a lot of my anxieties and worries behind me. Whether that will work or not I don't know. I'm not a massively social person, I don't go on nights out, etc. but I'm going to just go for it at Uni and ignore the anxious part of my brain that is just going "ARGH WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!". If you find it all getting on top of you there and you feel like dropping out again, maybe set yourself goals like "I'll just try and stick it out to the end of the week." and then at the end of the week, tell yourself that you made it through that week, so you can do another one. A few weeks of doing this and you'll be through the pain barrier, and hopefully a lot more settled.

Hope some of this has been useful. If you want to talk to a socially anxious person who's also off to Uni this year, PM me.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by AlesanaWill)
I'm nervous about Uni. I think you'll find very few people who aren't pretty nervous about it. But I understand what you mean - that your anxiety is particularly bad and you don't want it to mean you leave University.

I think posting this thread is a good first step. Talking about the fact your nervous helps calm you down. When you get to University it might be a good idea to make yourself known to the counselling team. Be honest to people around you about how you're feeling - chances are they'll be nervous too and will be relieved to talk to someone about it. Yes you might be more nervous than them, but you'll still have familiar ground and so hopefully a bit of support to stick it out.

The key is to get past the pain barrier with anything new. I was like this with college: I dropped out twice before finally sticking it out there. The first two times I left after only a few weeks, before everything had settled. If you can get past the first few weeks, it gets a lot easier. Things settle, you get into a routine, you make friends, the anxiety reduces.

I'm sort of planning to throw myself into University and try to leave a lot of my anxieties and worries behind me. Whether that will work or not I don't know. I'm not a massively social person, I don't go on nights out, etc. but I'm going to just go for it at Uni and ignore the anxious part of my brain that is just going "ARGH WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!". If you find it all getting on top of you there and you feel like dropping out again, maybe set yourself goals like "I'll just try and stick it out to the end of the week." and then at the end of the week, tell yourself that you made it through that week, so you can do another one. A few weeks of doing this and you'll be through the pain barrier, and hopefully a lot more settled.

Hope some of this has been useful. If you want to talk to a socially anxious person who's also off to Uni this year, PM me.
Thanks for your reply! I'm already feeling less nervous ha! I did think of signing up for counselling whilst there. It's funny because I wasn't as bad last year (I was nervous but that can be expected from someone moving across the Atlantic) I think my dropping out has really frightened me and the whole making friends process all over again just gets me nervous too!
ce303ce303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah we'll don't worry too much about it, many people get anxious about going to uni but they never say so, so it's good of you to be honest and open about it

i think the key for you to feel comfortable at uni is finding the right type of people, which you hopefully will. If you, however, find it difficult to make friends, you can always get help at uni, counselling and such.

but again, remember that SO many people feel like you do and also that almost everyone nowadays goes to uni and manages okay, so why wouldn't you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads