Should I get a macbook? Watch

WhatDoIWrite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've had my laptop for about 6 years now. I think it may have one more year in it but I'm considering a new laptop. There's a few things I'm looking for in a new laptop.

1. Good build quality my current laptop a Toshiba equium has terrible build quality very plasticy and it's physically falling apart.
2. Something that will last me a long time. Around 10 years and not slow down.
3. Good quality keyboard.
4. Around 15" screen size.
5. Good quality resolution doesn't have to be retina standard but decent enough to watch hd videos and look good.
6. Reasonable RAM I use my laptop for standard web surfing word powerpoint excel itunes email and use photoshop. Most of the time I have all this running simultaneously so the laptop must handle this. I find currently when I have several things open my laptop lags and freezes.
7. A large hard drive to store several movies music and pictures.
8. Decent quality audio again doesn't have to be sound studio quality but don't want some crap cheap quality speakers either.
9. It's got to last me so build quality and reliability is a must and future proof so can run programmes from the future reasonably well.
10. Pricing is not a major issue but wouldn't want something ridiculously expensive.
11. I also torrent a lot movies music etc so I should be able to do that relatively easily too.

So should I opt for a mac or stay with pc if so which laptop would be recommended. Whens the best time to purchase?
MNem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mac is obvs really good quality etc etc but to me, a none technical person they are just to stressful to understand. its like you have to learn everything from the beginning, even keyboard shortcuts :confused:
Islam Hamza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you can afford a Macbook, get one .. reliable and great laptops for a lot things.
People might argue that with the same specs you can get something a lot cheaper, but remember .. you're paying for a brand not for the laptops specs.

Don't purchase one now. Apple's cycle is up, which means .. on average, they release a new one every 124~ days. It's been 157 days, they announced last June that there would be a delay with the Macbook pros.
You can probably get the current version brand new for pretty cheap, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't want a pro and just want the air, then get it now .. they just released them last month!
kerr03
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've had my mac for more than two years and there are still things I don't understand on it, PC's are more user friendly for the average person but mac's are just beautiful
WhatDoIWrite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Islam Hamza)
If you can afford a Macbook, get one .. reliable and great laptops for a lot things.
People might argue that with the same specs you can get something a lot cheaper, but remember .. you're paying for a brand not for the laptops specs.

Don't purchase one now. Apple's cycle is up, which means .. on average, they release a new one every 124~ days. It's been 157 days, they announced last June that there would be a delay with the Macbook pros.
You can probably get the current version brand new for pretty cheap, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't want a pro and just want the air, then get it now .. they just released them last month!
Reliability and build quality are very important to me. However I think just as important is the price. I know I've said price is not really an issue but I don't want to be paying £1k+ for something when I can an equivalent item for half the price. I don't really care about the brand as long as it is reliable and has good build quality and I'm getting value for money the last bit is whats putting me off a mac. I don't think it's really value for money.
Nitrogen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say get a macbook if you can afford it. Im using a macbook now and before I got it I was deciding between it and another laptop. When I knew that all laptops came with windows 8 instead of windows 7 that broke the deal. Windows 8 is just awful. Macbooks are actually quite easy to use too.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get macbook air refurbished/student discount

i'm looking to buy 11inch model with 8gb ram 128gb hard drive intel i7, comes to £1k but should be cheaper with student discount
Iqbal007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WhatDoIWrite)
I've had my laptop for about 6 years now. I think it may have one more year in it but I'm considering a new laptop. There's a few things I'm looking for in a new laptop.

1. Good build quality my current laptop a Toshiba equium has terrible build quality very plasticy and it's physically falling apart. Macbook currently aren't the best best, but they are in the top end when it comes to reliability and build quality.....................but Macs main reason is because they got the best warranty service
2. Something that will last me a long time. Around 10 years and not slow down. Never ever happening, laptop technology falls behind with a few years down the line........10 years in terms of technology is a short amount of time as cpu's, gpus, ram, harddrives change very quickly.
3. Good quality keyboard. differs up to individual
5. Good quality resolution doesn't have to be retina standard but decent enough to watch hd videos and look good. you mean full hd screen
6. Reasonable RAM I use my laptop for standard web surfing word powerpoint excel itunes email and use photoshop. Most of the time I have all this running simultaneously so the laptop must handle this. I find currently when I have several things open my laptop lags and freezes. Average user barely uses 4gb, around 2-3gb...........I would say its more down to the cpu being put under stress.
8. Decent quality audio again doesn't have to be sound studio quality but don't want some crap cheap quality speakers either. Well consider getting a small amp and a good pair of headphones, as its never guaranteed or invest in a good speaker set.
9. It's got to last me so build quality and reliability is a must and future proof so can run programmes from the future reasonably well. Again never happening, within the last few years we start seeing dual cores, now quadcores as the norm, programs can now maximise the use of each core.
10. Pricing is not a major issue but wouldn't want something ridiculously expensive.
11. I also torrent a lot movies music etc so I should be able to do that relatively easily too.

So should I opt for a mac or stay with pc if so which laptop would be recommended. Whens the best time to purchase?
I can't say................but looking at things you seem set for the Macbook.
That said, I think you have unrealistic views on how long a laptop will actually last, in terms of technology and keeping up, and ever more resource hungry programs in the future. its inevitable that even if the laptop lasts within 4-5 years compared to new laptops at that time, they would be far far superior.
WhatDoIWrite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nitrogen)
I'd say get a macbook if you can afford it. Im using a macbook now and before I got it I was deciding between it and another laptop. When I knew that all laptops came with windows 8 instead of windows 7 that broke the deal. Windows 8 is just awful. Macbooks are actually quite easy to use too.
Windows 8 doesn't seem all that appealing to me either. I tried it way back and wasn't exactly impressed by it. In fact I hated it.

(Original post by smd4std)
get macbook air refurbished/student discount

i'm looking to buy 11inch model with 8gb ram 128gb hard drive intel i7, comes to £1k but should be cheaper with student discount
Not interested in the air. Seems a little flimsy to me if I'm honest. The 11 inch is way to small. And 8gb is much more than I would need. I don't even think I'll require an i7 and i5 should be fine. I might wait for the new pro to be released.

(Original post by Iqbal007)
I can't say................but looking at things you seem set for the Macbook.
That said, I think you have unrealistic views on how long a laptop will actually last, in terms of technology and keeping up, and ever more resource hungry programs in the future. its inevitable that even if the laptop lasts within 4-5 years compared to new laptops at that time, they would be far far superior.
Is there no good pc alternatives?
My laptops lasted me 6 years and coming on to 7. I bought it pre owned from curry for about £200 if I'm going to spending £750+ on a laptop I expect it to last 10 years I don't think that's unrealistic. The programmes I use are essentially the same and I don't see my needs changing any time soon.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i'm buying the 11 inch air because i need something small/light/portable
benzeman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Good build quality my current laptop a Toshiba equium has terrible build quality very plasticy and it's physically falling apart.
2. Something that will last me a long time. Around 10 years and not slow down.
3. Good quality keyboard.
5. Good quality resolution doesn't have to be retina standard but decent enough to watch hd videos and look good.
6. Reasonable RAM I use my laptop for standard web surfing word powerpoint excel itunes email and use photoshop. Most of the time I have all this running simultaneously so the laptop must handle this. I find currently when I have several things open my laptop lags and freezes.
8. Decent quality audio again doesn't have to be sound studio quality but don't want some crap cheap quality speakers either.
9. It's got to last me so build quality and reliability is a must and future proof so can run programmes from the future reasonably well.
I would choose a Lenovo (ThinkPad if you cab afford it), because they have great build quality, and are very repairable / upgradable.

Regarding 5, most 15" laptops have the same resolution, but if you really want full HD then a replacement screen can be fitted - ask your local independent PC shop.

The RAM - if you get 4GB (1x4GB even better) then you should be able to easily upgrade to 8GB in years time, should you need to. If you want it to feel very "responsive" too, then I would suggest an SSD.

Finally, torrenting just depends on software, so that shouldn't affect your laptop choice!
Hugg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love my macbookpro! Easy to use and very reliable however it is starting to slow down when starting up after having it for 5 years, planning to upgrade it to the retina display one. They are good for almost everything and are well worth the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Windows 8 doesn't seem all that appealing to me either. I tried it way back and wasn't exactly impressed by it. In fact I hated it.

Not interested in the air. Seems a little flimsy to me if I'm honest. The 11 inch is way to small. And 8gb is much more than I would need. I don't even think I'll require an i7 and i5 should be fine. I might wait for the new pro to be released.

Is there no good pc alternatives?
My laptops lasted me 6 years and coming on to 7. I bought it pre owned from curry for about £200 if I'm going to spending £750+ on a laptop I expect it to last 10 years I don't think that's unrealistic. The programmes I use are essentially the same and I don't see my needs changing any time soon.
Truth be told it is actually very unrealistic.............you can actually make a thread with a poll and ask people on tsr about how long their laptop has lasted them and you'll be surprised.
Within about 2 years the laptop will be outdated in terms of technology, and 10 years by a lot, look at the current market 10 years ago we were using very heavy, single core, slow processors, little ram, small harddrives, etc which can barely be used as they simply dont have the capabilities of running programs these days.

Even if you looked after your laptop well, and didn't have any faults, still isn't likely due to stand wear and tear, usage of the laptop components.
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not interested in the air. Seems a little flimsy to me if I'm honest.
Flimsy? Hell of a lot stronger than most laptops. It's not flimsy at all, little to no flex.
WhatDoIWrite
Rep:
?
(Original post by benzeman)
I would choose a Lenovo (ThinkPad if you cab afford it), because they have great build quality, and are very repairable / upgradable.

Regarding 5, most 15" laptops have the same resolution, but if you really want full HD then a replacement screen can be fitted - ask your local independent PC shop.

The RAM - if you get 4GB (1x4GB even better) then you should be able to easily upgrade to 8GB in years time, should you need to. If you want it to feel very "responsive" too, then I would suggest an SSD.

Finally, torrenting just depends on software, so that shouldn't affect your laptop choice!
Thanks. I'll look into that.
The screen doesn't have to ve full HD I don't think it would make a noticable difference on a 15" screen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads