IB Economics, ITGS or Psychology? Watch

whitey3142
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to study medicine in the UK, and want to do IB. So far I am doing the subjects:
French SL
Maths SL
English HL
Bio HL
Chem HL

AND i dont know for my last subjects (which will be SL) whether to pick Economics, ITGS or Psych!!!! General thoughts on which is most interesting/easiest??? THANKS SO MUCH!!!
ashleighgiles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend is also taking Biomedicine, so maybe I can give a few suggestions.Since medicine takes notice of your Maths, English (in commonwealth countries), Chemistry, and basic Biology (because you'll relearn it in univ), you ought to take the lightest subject out of the three
ITGS was eradicated from my school when I entered the DP, hence I don't know what you'll do there. Economics won't give you much benefit for your preferred major, but there's no harm in learning a bit of it. My personal choice would be Psychology though, since you won't be focusing in the business world (Economics) or the IT world (ITGS).

I took VA HL, so I'm not the brightest when it comes to this lol
whitey3142
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for your advice!! Yes, one of my reasons for wanting to do econ was variety...but you're right, maybe psych would suit medicine more.
AquisM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know about Psych, but Econ SL is quite easy. I didn't Econ before IB and I'm doing quite well in Econ SL right now. The workload isn't heavy and the concepts are quite easy to grasp. However, as Asleighgiles pointed out, Psych might be more relevant to medicine, so you'll have to decide which to let go.
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to apply for Medicine in the UK, you are expected to have top grades. A 36-38 is not unheard of for even the most lowly ranked Med schools.

You need to be strategic when you pick your subjects, especially your SLs. Remember, UK universities don't care at all what your SL subjects are, as long as they're high enough scores to boost your overall IB score. Psychology is notoriously difficult to get a 7 in. Globally, about 3% of IB Psychology students get 7s. Conversely, more than double the number of students (7-8%) get 7s in IB Economics.

Also, from a learning perspective, you will study Psychology at medical school, at least to some extent, I would imagine. Having a basic background in Economics, which you might not get a reasonable chance to study again might actually benefit you more in the long run!

I hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads