Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol causes the vast majority of Britain's problems and crucially is a massive drain on the NHS and thus should be outlawed it's responsible for one million NHS visits a year and alcohol abuse costs £6bn a year. People are too irresponsible to manage their own alcohol consumption and thus we should make it, like all other drugs, an illegal product. We should sentence anyone caught consuming alcohol to three months in jail and anyone caught trading alcohol to 3 years in jail. This would make Britain a safer place to live with lower taxes and a society that would have to learn how to enjoy itself without the aid of a disgusting narcotic.

Do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isengard)
    Alcohol causes the vast majority of Britain's problems and crucially is a massive drain on the NHS and thus should be outlawed it's responsible for one million NHS visits a year and alcohol abuse costs £6bn a year. People are too irresponsible to manage their own alcohol consumption and thus we should make it, like all other drugs, an illegal product. We should sentence anyone caught consuming alcohol to three months in jail and anyone caught trading alcohol to 3 years in jail. This would make Britain a safer place to live with lower taxes and a society that would have to learn how to enjoy itself without the aid of a disgusting narcotic.

Do you agree?
    So you think we will be a "Better Britain" when thousands of people become unemployed due to their job being scrapped because it is related to alcohol? Ie, pubs, factories, corner shops who rely on selling alcohol to generate a profit, ect ect.

Sounds smart to me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    No.

The revenue generated from alcohol comes to around £15 billion while the cost to the NHS is only around 3 billion so in reality we would lose a considerable amount of money if we banned alcohol. We would also have to fund the extra policing required to uphold these new laws and pay for the people sent to jail for breaking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    So you think we will be a "Better Britain" when thousands of people become unemployed due to their job being scrapped because it is related to alcohol? Ie, pubs, factories, corner shops who rely on selling alcohol to generate a profit, ect ect.

Sounds smart to me :cool:
    They can survive on selling coca-cola and fizzy pop, most people drink for social reasoning so pubs would still exist. So yes I think the small negative cost of banning alcohol is worth the long-term better society.

ReputationRep:
    No, the tax benefits to the government from alcohol sales are too great. That will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    No, the tax benefits to the government from alcohol sales are too great. That will never happen.
    But they are blood money and the government shouldn't be dealing in blood money.

ReputationRep:
    See Prohibition era USA. No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    They can survive on selling coca-cola and fizzy pop, most people drink for social reasoning so pubs would still exist. So yes I think the small negative cost of banning alcohol is worth the long-term better society.
    Don't be absurd, that's what people said about the Smoking Ban, and there were pubs that actually shut down because it.

And in the time these places shut down, where are the government going to get the cash to give them benefits? Especially since they'd be loosing the tax revenue.

Also what about hardened alcoholics, who would literally die due to withdrawls? Do they not deserve to live?

Man, your argument is so flawed

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think prohibition will work?

ReputationRep:
    Prohibition has been proven time and time again throughout history not to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibi..._United_States

Have a read of this and see how well it went down in America.

Education and deglamourisation of drugs is an approach that is more likely to work.

Edit: Not to mention countries like France and Italy manage to enjoy alcohol responsibly for the most part. It's just that in Britain people divulge in binge drinking more than is the norm.

ReputationRep:
    I do rather like the idea of a 1920s American-style speakeasy, complete with a jazz band, flappers, and Al Capone.

However, in all seriousness, this is a stupid and illiberal idea. The majority of people who drink do so out of enjoyment for its taste, a mild enjoyment of its stupefying effects, and with food. Would you criminalise these law-abiding citizens? There is also the already mentioned issue of the tax revenue that would be lost by banning it.

I'm also not really convinced that this would reduce crime. We'd get smugglers, and all sorts of other crimes could spring from this. I'd also be worried that if alcohol were banned like any other drug, the people who do drink to be a nuisance and purely to get drunk would have fewer qualms about taking other banned drugs that are worse than alcohol, or would turn to highly questionable 'legal highs'.

There's also the small matter that this would never happen.

Well, firstly, you clearly don't understand pubs.

Secondly, although it is not their original purpose, many pubs survive by selling food nowadays, especially in touristy areas. Who wants to drink children's drinks like coca-cola and fruit juices with food? Most are just too sweet. This would apply to restaurants aw well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    No.

The revenue generated from alcohol comes to around £15 billion while the cost to the NHS is only around 3 billion so in reality we would lose a considerable amount of money if we banned alcohol. We would also have to fund the extra policing required to uphold these new laws and pay for the people sent to jail for breaking them.
    Exactly right - argument over as far as I'm concerned!

ReputationRep:
    Banning alcohol is not the answer as banning will cause organised crime and alcohol smuggling to flourish like it did in the USA in the 1920's during the period of prohibition.
    plus people have the right to drink alcohol the government shouldn't just jump in and ban it althogether there are various different approaches which we can use.

Education is a useful approach, by educating children from a young age of the penalties of underage drinking, drunk driving and anti social behaviour we could discourage them from being tempted to drink.

I do believe the government should increase taxes on alcohol and when people seek treatment from the NHS for alcohol related diseases they should quit drinking and pay for some of the treatment themselves as it is their own fault for drinking too much.

I don't drink much so I would have no problem with the government increasing the drinking age to 21 like in the USA.

ReputationRep:

Do you agree?
    We don't live in an ideal world unfortunately- have you heard of Prohibition in the US in the 20s? Even with many states already enforcing/in favour of bans on alcohol, it failed and just caused the market to go underground. Nonetheless, I would support making alcohol prohibitively expensive, making it a treat to most people through a high duty like £1 per % ABV on top of the current price. It is among the worst causes of social ills. You might say that high alcohol prices will create a black market, but refusing to treat anyone with obvious alcohol/moonshine poisoning would mean few fools would risk it. However, a lot of drinking is down to family and other pressures which imo ought to be addressed through things like a living wage and an hours cap/ 4 day week. This and other progressive social legislation will help to alleviate many pressures our governments have inflicted on us and in doing so create a more pleasant atmosphere, where drinking will only be casual. Maybe also it would be worthwhile to try tackling the mentality that drinking is a laugh and 'what you do'. But it doesn't help with alcohol lobbyists having seats of power in our government. For example, a pub is generally a cosy, friendly, social place and is a positive part of our culture. Cut out the drinking and hey presto, you've just created a family friendly community meeting place. Plus, you mustn't forget that research suggests that drinking 10ml of alcohol a day is actually good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Don't be absurd, that's what people said about the Smoking Ban, and there were pubs that actually shut down because it.
    Good, pubs are horrible bastions of doom anyway, the more that shut the better.

And in the time these places shut down, where are the government going to get the cash to give them benefits? Especially since they'd be loosing the tax revenue.
    We should abolish benefits but that's a different argument.

Also what about hardened alcoholics, who would literally die due to withdrawls? Do they not deserve to live?
    Refuse them any NHS treatment and make an example of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its stupid and will never work. I can't help but imagine how much nicer our country would be if people drank responsibly or not at all...

I say we legalise weed and ban alcohol. Instead of people getting aggressive and anti-social we will have a lot of lazy hungry people (recovering some of that loss of economy!) that just stay at home instead of filling our town centre with awful aggressive drunks. lol

ReputationRep:
    when ive been designated driver i will have 1 maybe 2 pints of coke in the 3 or 4 hours we're at the pub as opposed to 6 or 7 pints of beer and this is the case with loads of people. I very much doubt pubs are going to survive when people by 1/6th of their usual load of drinks.

Besides if none of us were drinking we'd go to a park or a lake or someones house and get a couple of 2 litre bottles of coke in.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    No - it is not the government's job to tell me what to do with my body. The government only has a responsibility if you are harming others in some way, so in my mind a much better way to deal with this would be to automatically hand out the harshest possible sentences for any crime committed whilst under the influence.

ReputationRep:
    A dry Britain? How dull and depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    No - it is not the government's job to tell me what to do with my body. The government only has a responsibility if you are harming others in some way, so in my mind a much better way to deal with this would be to automatically hand out the harshest possible sentences for any crime committed whilst under the influence.
    By drinking you are indirectly causing harm to others, though.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.