Tynos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Name:  maths8.png
Views: 165
Size:  18.8 KB

Help with these please, i dont understand what the max/min are.

Thanks!
Hasufel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the question is really after the amplitude of the expression. (to be precise, the lowest value and the highest value - the lowest will be the negative of the highest)

I will do a) just to demonstrate the idea.

We might be able to notice, straight away, that a) is of the form  Cos(A-B) (here, A=x, B= Pi/6. In which case the amplitude is 1.

But, what if we didn`t?

we use the fact that we have a cos function first, followed by a + sign separating terms to suppose that we have something of the form  R \times Cos(x-\alpha)
where R is the amplitude.

We then expand this to read (Rcos( \alpha))cos(x)+(Rsin( \alpha))sin(x)

so that, Rcos( \alpha)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} and Rsin( \alpha)= \frac{1}{2} from which, tan( \alpha) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=> \alpha = \frac{\pi}{6}

Now, R= \sqrt{(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})^{2}+(  \frac{1}{2})^{2}}=1

so the actual expression is equal to: Cos(x-\frac{\pi}{6})

Do this for b, c, and d, picking the most suitable form of cos/sin(A+/-B) opr the expression

for b) take out a factor of 3 first, and a factor of 4 out of d).
Tynos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hasufel)
the question is really after the amplitude of the expression. (to be precise, the lowest value and the highest value - the lowest will be the negative of the highest)

I will do a) just to demonstrate the idea.

We might be able to notice, straight away, that a) is of the form  Cos(A-B) (here, A=x, B= Pi/6. In which case the amplitude is 1.

But, what if we didn`t?

we use the fact that we have a cos function first, followed by a + sign separating terms to suppose that we have something of the form  R \times Cos(x-\alpha)
where R is the amplitude.

We then expand this to read (Rcos( \alpha))cos(x)+(Rsin( \alpha))sin(x)

so that, Rcos( \alpha)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} and Rsin( \alpha)= \frac{1}{2} from which, tan( \alpha) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=> \alpha = \frac{\pi}{6}

Now, R= \sqrt{(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})^{2}+(  \frac{1}{2})^{2}}=1

so the actual expression is equal to: Cos(x-\frac{\pi}{6})

Do this for b, c, and d, picking the most suitable form of cos/sin(A+/-B) opr the expression

for b) take out a factor of 3 first, and a factor of 4 out of d).
Ah, ok thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise