The Student Room Group

Boyfriend read my Facebook messages

I accidentally left my Facebook logged in at my boyfriends house and he fraped me (which I don't mind because that's just funny).

I had messages to a friend saying I was glad to be home because I needed my own space and it got to a point where everything he did was annoying me because I'd spent too much time with him. I didn't mean this in a horrible way, simply that everyone needs their space.

There were also really personal messages to a close friend where I talked about depression etc which I haven't really spoken to him about so I'd be really upset if he'd read that. He hasn't replied to my message I sent yesterday afternoon and I don't really know what I'm asking.. but would he be upset by reading that first message and does he have a right to be since he shouldn't have been prying in the first place?
I don't think anyone has the right to open and read your mail without your consent - let it be your parents or your partner :smile:
But if he's read it then you can't reverse it. Ask him if he actually read your messages on Facebook, and if he did, then talk to him about it. If he really cares, then he might be upset at why you didn't tell him about your problems. You shouldn't be anxious or afraid, because there shouldn't be anything to hide from him any more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ashleighgiles
I don't think anyone has the right to open and read your mail without your consent - let it be your parents or your partner :smile:
But if he's read it then you can't reverse it. Ask him if he actually read your messages on Facebook, and if he did, then talk to him about it. If he really cares, then he might be upset at why you didn't tell him about your problems. You shouldn't be anxious or afraid, because there shouldn't be anything to hide from him any more :smile:

Thank you for your reply :smile:. Do you think if he replies normally (doesn't seem weird like he's read anything) then I should not mention it? Or should I bring it up anyway? I don't want to seem paranoid but I think he probably would have read them since it was right there in front of him and would be difficult to resist.

I'm more worried about if he read that I was starting to find everything he did annoying as I had spent too much time with him as I'd be upset if I read he'd said that about me. I only meant that everybody needs their space.
Reply 3
Original post by saraw26
That seems really out of order. He shouldn't read your messages unless you say so. It's not like you've cheated on him or something, it's just one of those things. He has a right to be a little upset, but he's definitely in the wrong!

Thank you for replying! How should I handle it? Should I confront him? Or just wait to see how he replies to my message and if he is being normal not mention it?
Reply 4
Original post by stupefy!
Thank you for replying! How should I handle it? Should I confront him? Or just wait to see how he replies to my message and if he is being normal not mention it?

definitely mention it, but calmly. Then if he avoids it, you clearly know he has and need to fully confront him. It's best to get it sorted, or this could happen again and be even worse!
Do you have any proof he's read through them or are you just assuming he has? My group of friends used to frape each other all the time but not once did we go through someones messages. Maybe send a couple but never read through private conversations. One of my friends has had my password for months and i'd be mortified if I knew she'd been reading through them, but I trust her not to.
Reply 6
Outa order by him but tbh it's kinda a silly thing to be saying to your friend on fb. As in, he will at some point see your Facebook and I feel if it is how you tell it he'd probably found out later. Yes you should talk to him regardless about it as if not it WILL niggle away and drive you to breaking point "a stitch in time saves nine" aka don't hang about, get it out in the open between you two. Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not just have a discussion about how you need your own space? Tell him how you love him, but at the same time you need to be on your own sometimes. I think everyone's like that! That way, if he saw the message you'll have explained what you meant, and even if he didn't then you still need to talk about it because it's important for your relationship not to just leave things until they're too late.
Reply 8
Original post by sr90
Do you have any proof he's read through them or are you just assuming he has? My group of friends used to frape each other all the time but not once did we go through someones messages. Maybe send a couple but never read through private conversations. One of my friends has had my password for months and i'd be mortified if I knew she'd been reading through them, but I trust her not to.

When I logged on the inbox icon was not red but I had new messages which means he'd clicked onto my inbox. In a way I don't blame him as it would be difficult to resist but surely if was going to read messages he'd scroll down to an ex boyfriend or a guy he knows likes me? Would he even bother to click onto messages from friends? I don't know how male brains work, haha!
Thank you for your reply :smile:. Do you think if he replies normally (doesn't seem weird like he's read anything) then I should not mention it? Or should I bring it up anyway? I don't want to seem paranoid but I think he probably would have read them since it was right there in front of him and would be difficult to resist.

I'm more worried about if he read that I was starting to find everything he did annoying as I had spent too much time with him as I'd be upset if I read he'd said that about me. I only meant that everybody needs their space.

Since you seem very anxious about it, you could bring it up. Don't go off topic; keep the questioning subtle yet direct. Just don't overreact, or else he'll overreact too. :biggrin:
As for the second part, you should tell him that you need your space. He should understand that some things aren't meant to be shared without consent. Wouldn't he want his space too? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Why not just have a discussion about how you need your own space? Tell him how you love him, but at the same time you need to be on your own sometimes. I think everyone's like that! That way, if he saw the message you'll have explained what you meant, and even if he didn't then you still need to talk about it because it's important for your relationship not to just leave things until they're too late.

To be honest, I didn't even really mean it. It was just how I was feeling right in that moment because I'd been with him nonstop for a few days. I never usually feel like that and I'm probably the more clingy one in the relationship! We've been together nearly half a year and have never argued yet so I really don't want this to turn into our first argument or something :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by sr90

Wow you have good friends. My friends frape each other, but id never allow someone else my password. The thought of someone having the possibility to read my messages just irks me...
When I logged on the inbox icon was not red but I had new messages which means he'd clicked onto my inbox. In a way I don't blame him as it would be difficult to resist but surely if was going to read messages he'd scroll down to an ex boyfriend or a guy he knows likes me? Would he even bother to click onto messages from friends? I don't know how male brains work, haha!

Hold up, if you get a new message but you log in and out, or ignore it for a while, refreshing the page, skimming through events or whatever, the red icon goes away, but your message is still unread, and will be marked as unread in your inbox.
What you should have done is go into the inbox and seen if any of the messages were marked as unread (slightly darker blue, not white background) however now you have clicked on them I assume?

Point is, you cant assume he has read them from what you have seen. However, if you find out from him he HAS read them, damn, thats not cool, in any way.
Reply 13
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Hold up, if you get a new message but you log in and out, or ignore it for a while, refreshing the page, skimming through events or whatever, the red icon goes away, but your message is still unread, and will be marked as unread in your inbox.
What you should have done is go into the inbox and seen if any of the messages were marked as unread (slightly darker blue, not white background) however now you have clicked on them I assume?

Point is, you cant assume he has read them from what you have seen. However, if you find out from him he HAS read them, damn, thats not cool, in any way.

There was an unread message but it was unimportant so he could have just not bothered reading that one or read it and marked it as unread. Maybe I am just being paranoid. But knowing him, I don't know if he would have been able to resist having a harmless look when it's right there in front of him.
How do you know he read them? Personally I wouldn't be too put out as I value my own space as well, but that's just me. I would try to do something else, he'll get back to you eventually, it's not like he'll leave you over this.

As to whether he's likely to have read them, well, you know him, does he have integrity or is he more of a Machiavellian? I would probably have let my curiosity get the better of me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
:facepalm2:

You don't even know he's read them! You're just jumping to conclusions because he fraped you, assuming for some reason that he must've read through them because they were there.

And of course TSR's typical response of 'OMG that's so bad. He shouldn't of done that!'
I'm actually kinda surprised no ones told you to dump him yet.

Why not just give him the benefit of the doubt before automatically assuming he violated your privacy? Ask him about it if you want, but I would hope that you at least slightly trust him seeing as he's your boyfriend.
My bf leaves himself logged in all the time on my pc, and I've never looked at his messages, I just log him out. Why are you so sure he's looked?
His your boyfriend he's allowed to do that. Your kidding yourself if your saying it meant to come across as that. Only because he may have found out your message has suddenly changed its meaning. There's nothing better than spending time with each other regardless when your in a relationship, that's the point. Your best telling him how you really feel because he deserves better and there's plenty of girls out there that actually will deserve his time and effort he puts in without them getting annoyed of everything he does. They'll 'appreciate' him. Your best going for someone else, his too good for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending