The Student Room Group

Maths A-level option confusion?

So i am taking Maths Mechanics at AS level in september, i was wondering if anyone could tell me which units ill be doing (eg C1), and also what it would be worth revising?? (don't tell me not to please, i felt behind when doing my additional maths at school and dont want to feel that again) Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by MNem
So i am taking Maths Mechanics at AS level in september, i was wondering if anyone could tell me which units ill be doing (eg C1), and also what it would be worth revising?? (don't tell me not to please, i felt behind when doing my additional maths at school and dont want to feel that again) Thank you!! :biggrin:

The maths A-level is structured as such for your AS level, assuming mechanics just means the M1 module you will be sitting

C1, C2 and M1 for AS-level. I would revise algebra and geometry, as well as indices surds and other things, you have plenty of time till June so you can do bits and bobs to strengthen your foundation of maths over summer. For mechanics I would just revise some kinematics and in particular manipulation of the suvat questions. As I've said you honestly don't need to do masses over summer just make sure you are comfortable with indices etc
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
The maths A-level is structured as such for your AS level, assuming mechanics just means the M1 module you will be sitting

C1, C2 and M1 for AS-level. I would revise algebra and geometry, as well as indices surds and other things, you have plenty of time till June so you can do bits and bobs to strengthen your foundation of maths over summer. For mechanics I would just revise some kinematics and in particular manipulation of the suvat questions. As I've said you honestly don't need to do masses over summer just make sure you are comfortable with indices etc

Why would you assume they would be doing mechanics? At least mention S1 and D1...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alow
Why would you assume they would be doing mechanics? At least mention S1 and D1...

''Maths Mechanics at AS level'' suggests mechanics, the school will tell them all options available, but I was assuming maths mechanics was just a fancy name for C1,C2 and M1
Reply 4
Original post by alow

Because they said "maths mechanics"

Schools often offer, for example, maths mechanics in one block and maths statistics in another
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242

thanks so much for your help, yeah i chose the mechanics option as opposed to statistics. im doing WJEC modular, it will definitely be C1 and C2 then right? another tiny question, did u find a level to be a massive step up from gcse, and in what respect? THANKS x
Reply 6
Original post by MNem
thanks so much for your help, yeah i chose the mechanics option as opposed to statistics. im doing WJEC modular, it will definitely be C1 and C2 then right? another tiny question, did u find a level to be a massive step up from gcse, and in what respect? THANKS x

I found it a big step up, but mainly because of the massive summer break.
Once you learn the AS material the past papers become repetitive especially C1. If you do some work over summer you'll be in a good place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by MNem

Yup it will be :smile:

It is a step up but it isn't a ''massive step up'', to word this better, at GCSE you didn't have to put much work in and lots of the problems often relied on logic and smaller topics for 1-6marks per question right, well at A-level this changes as your faced with about 6-9 questions on an examination paper some of which carry a very large amount of marks, so in that respect you need to understand the syllabus inside out by working hard to make sure your able to answer absolutely everything, and then silly mistakes will only make you drop a mark or two.

I would advise for WJEC doing the past papers close to exam as well as solomon papers. I would also strongly advise if your stuck on topics to use www.examsolutions,net and www.youutbe.com/user/maths247 for help understanding the topic.

At A-level you essentially need to understand quite a bit of the maths, otherwise when given harder questions you won't know how to apply your knowledge.

That being said, I definitely found subjects such as history much more demanding than mathematics at A-level. For M1 diagrams are also very important, and for A-level in general you need to lay out your working out as opposed to ''doing it in your head''.

For me personally I found it incredibly hard at first, but this is because I had a B at GCSE, I got an D in my induction test at the start of year 12 and things were looking down however I continued to push through and work hard and now I have maths and further maths AS levels at grade A.

For A-levels: Work hard(at home and school), listen in class and take in the information rather than regurgitate it. Also try develop systems and methods for yourself if the book method seems too confusing or not very obvious
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
thanks everyone youve all been so helpful, i will +rep when i can x
Original post by MNem
thanks everyone youve all been so helpful, i will +rep when i can x

Some reading here which MAY help:
http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html
Reply 10
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Some reading here which MAY help:
http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html

Thanks thats so helpful, his videos are great! definitely be watching the series on the jump from GCSE to A level :biggrin:
Original post by MNem
Thanks thats so helpful, his videos are great! definitely be watching the series on the jump from GCSE to A level :biggrin:

You are welcome. :smile:
Original post by MNem

I'm no genius mathematician, and I spent my whole first year waiting for this "massive step up" to happen, but it just didn't... I did add. maths like you and I found that it helped a lot, as it covered a lot the fundamentals of C1 (which in turn forms the basis of C2). Even if you're not 100% confident with every topic from add. maths it still makes AS maths easier IMO.

There is, however, a noticeable increase in difficulty from AS to A2, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it :P
Reply 13
Original post by MrSupernova
I'm no genius mathematician, and I spent my whole first year waiting for this "massive step up" to happen, but it just didn't... I did add. maths like you and I found that it helped a lot, as it covered a lot the fundamentals of C1 (which in turn forms the basis of C2). Even if you're not 100% confident with every topic from add. maths it still makes AS maths easier IMO.

There is, however, a noticeable increase in difficulty from AS to A2, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it :P

That is interesting...one of the main reasons i decided to do add maths was because my maths teacher told me it would be helpful. Yeah i still feel a bit shaky with the add maths stuff so im recapping on the relevant things now :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MNem
That is interesting...one of the main reasons i decided to do add maths was because my maths teacher told me it would be helpful. Yeah i still feel a bit shaky with the add maths stuff so im recapping on the relevant things now :smile:

It is so so relevant. People I know who did it found it really useful, but remember not to get cocky and assume you know stuff already (you don't seem like the type) because then you won't be able to answer questions fully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by m4ths/maths247
You are welcome. :smile:

YOU'RE NOT!! ARE YOU REAL?
You need my thanks, you're why I passed C2 and you're the reason I got that moments question right in Edexcel M1. Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adi19956
YOU'RE NOT!! ARE YOU REAL?
You need my thanks, you're why I passed C2 and you're the reason I got that moments question right in Edexcel M1. Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm unreal according to my mum, nan and aunty....but nobody else :wink:

Well done to you!
I'm glad I could help. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by adi19956
It is so so relevant. People I know who did it found it really useful, but remember not to get cocky and assume you know stuff already (you don't seem like the type) because then you won't be able to answer questions fully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone in my maths class had done the AO and we all found it extremely useful, except the couple that got a U in the AO, but that's bound to be the case! I defiantly agree that going over the topics from AO is the best preparation, especially kinematics and suvat. All of us who had achieved grades c+ in the AO didn't really find a 'jump' up to a level, however the classes who had not done the AO did, so I really wouldn't worry about it!

Quick Reply

Latest