The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah. Depression nearly did it for me last year (as in when I was at Canterbury) too... but luckily the whole 'oooh I might be tranfering to St Andrews' gave me a way out.

Well... that sucks Holly. D= *hugs* Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Holly thats so sh**! don't worry everything will sort iteself out. All the best for what you decide to do next

Hannah X
Reply 22
Jees Holly, that really sucks. :frown: All the best for the future, i'm sure you'll do fine. Make sure you keep us up to date with how you are doing!
Reply 23
yeah, it sure sucks. you were already my favorite st andrewian and i was going to start playing lacrosse just to hang out with you. awww.... poor me! poor me! :bawling:
What Happens in threshers week ?

They separate the wheat from the chaff...
Reply 25
Dalimyr
CS1004 was the one I HAD to pass, because Computer Science is the only degree I'm interested in. I've already taken an extra year, and yesterday I got a letter announcing the termination of my studies. I have 10 days to appeal, but I've decided that I'm not going to...it's a tough decision, but I said to myself a few months ago that if I failed CS1004 (again, having lost P2P in it last year) then I was going to drop out, and I'm standing by that decision. I didn't pass ANY of my modules this year - my record is appalling:
MT1001 (Introductory Mathematics) 3.0/20.0 - Failed
EC1002 (Microeconomics) Lost P2P - Not eligible to sit final exam
CS1004 (Internet Programming) 4.2/20.0 - Failed
MT1002 (Mathematics) Lost P2P - Not eligible to sit final exam
Out of a possible 80 credits, I got a grand total of 0 :frown:

Let this be a lesson to everyone - if you suffer from depression, get the ****ing thing sorted out as soon as possible. It ****ed me over all year long and I didn't see a doctor about it until 3 weeks before my CS1004 exam (anti-depressants take at least 2 weeks to kick in, as well, so I was screwed)

I'm sorry to hear all of this and I sincerely hope everything will work out for you. Feel free to PM me anytime.
Reply 26
martika
yeah, it sure sucks. you were already my favorite st andrewian and i was going to start playing lacrosse just to hang out with you. awww.... poor me! poor me! :bawling:
Aww

Happy to know I managed to please you, but sorry to disappoint you :frown: But hey, I've always seen myself as a bit of a lost cause - nothing ever seems to go right for me, so this is just continuing that trend. You should join the lacrosse club, anyway - (most of) the girls there are lovely...I didn't get on well with this year's president and captain, but they were both quite egotistical. This year's captain is next year's president, but next year's captain is rather nice :smile: Can't remember who got any of the other positions, though :redface:
Reply 27
Lol how many times do I have to say that I meant to spell it as ' threshers'. In our first year of college we have a freshers day/night out and we gave it a new edge by calling it threshers and it worked. Everyone was of their head.

Really sorry to hear about the news of not getting into the next year Hannah( if its you that didnt?) . I think ive just mucked up one of my A levels which could mean I wont be coming to ST. Andrews :frown:. Generally, how many people make it into second year???
dalimyrs Holly, me and icecradle are hannah
Reply 29
europe4spurs
Really sorry to hear about the news of not getting into the next year Hannah( if its you that didnt?)
I'm Holly. Icecradle's Hannah :wink:

europe4spurs
Generally, how many people make it into second year???
Most do...unless you end up having personal problems like I did, you should have very little difficulty getting 5/20 (the pass mark for the first year exams). Second year's more difficult, though - you need 11/20 in them.
The hardest part, though, particularly if you're like me and don't go to lectures, is in keeping your permission to proceed (P2P) by attending all tutorials (and lectures, depending on the subject) and handing in practical work over the course of the semester.
As I stated earlier, I lost P2P in two of my subjects - I hated economics and never bothered with it after the first couple of days. I did TRY to do the maths, but depression had consumed me and I could never motivate myself to do the work well. I only attended one tutorial (out of 10), got a pitiful 1/10 in one test and never sat the other one, and I only went to about 8 lectures...with that, I knew I wasn't going to keep P2P so I didn't bother going to the exam.
Reply 30
Im really confused:frown: . As you have to do 2 subjects does that mean you have to pass both, even if you are only going to continue with the main one?? Also are the pass grades for subjects higher here than at other unis??
Reply 31
europe4spurs
Im really confused:frown: . As you have to do 2 subjects does that mean you have to pass both, even if you are only going to continue with the main one??
Yes. The way it works is that each module has a certain amount of 'credits' allocated to it (most first-year modules are worth 20 credits, and most second-year modules 30 credits, though there are a few that are worth less...usually because they're rather easy). Over the course of your junior years (first and second year) you have to pass enough modules to gain 240 credits. This entitles you to progress onto honours.
The minimum you can take in one year is 80 credits, and your advisor will be rather insistent on making you take a minimum of 120 credits.

My initial plan was to get 130 credits in first year from 7 first-year modules (6 20-credit modules and 1 10-credit module that I had to take because of a poor maths grade in school), and 110 or 120 credits in second year from 3 30-credit second-year modules and either a first-year module or another second-year module. But alas my plans got ****ed up, and two years of work left me with 110 credits total :frown:

Also are the pass grades for subjects higher here than at other unis??
No idea, but I doubt it.
Reply 32
I think it's generally easier if I'm just Ice. Saves the confusement.
Reply 33
Ah, Holly... I love people who see themselves as a lost cause... :handkiss:
Reply 34
I see i understand it now. I think :smile: Thanks
Hey, im really sorry to hear about your results :hugs:. Like everyone's said i was really looking forward to the mass TSR meetup and pub crawls in tweed and all! :p:

I really hope everything works out for you, im sure it will most things generally do. Who knows it could even be a "blessing in disguise" (man how old do i sound! :rolleyes:). From what it sounds like you have alot to deal with right now, too much to handle for anyone, so maybe breathing time would be good. No one is ever a lost cause, ever. If you ever do need anyone, im sure we'll be be on here (youre staying around right, :smile:).

P:s-smilie:: im sorry if all this sympathy is irritating - it really can be. x
Reply 36
PunkiePixie
No one is ever a lost cause, ever.
I'm pessimistic - I can't help seeing myself as a lost cause :p:
However, I got a rather nice PM from a member of the LGBTsoc on Friday night:
You seem to be eternally there for others but never ask for support in return, adding a spin to major events in your life that makes them casual and diverts attention away. Its altruism personified.:smile:
Altruism, for anyone not wanting to hunt out a dictionary, is another word for selflessness. This is something I came to realise a long time ago - because I see myself as a lost cause, I have no problem at all with putting myself down if it means that I can possibly help someone else. Back in October or November I used to post all the time in threads that were about depression, and I used my own personal experiences to try and help them...this had the unexpected outcome of making me relapse into my own depression, but I honestly would do it again if I was back in that situation, because I know I helped those people with their problem.

PunkiePixie
If you ever do need anyone, im sure we'll be be on here (youre staying around right, :smile:).
Of course I will. I may not be a student anymore, but I've made so many friends here that I wouldn't want to leave :biggrin:

PunkiePixie
P:s-smilie:: im sorry if all this sympathy is irritating - it really can be. x
Ah, it's nice to know that people care :hugs:
Reply 37
Dalimyr
DeviantArt...it's just something I'm doing for a bit of fun, and it's a fun way of getting little jabs in at people (I posted in a topic for devilbunny to see it...did it as a joke, but he liked it :biggrin:)

did I now? ^o) :p:
Reply 38
shenanigans
did I now? ^o) :p:
Yes...yes, you did

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4963266&postcount=1217

:p:

Doesn't work quite as well because you've changed your name, though :frown:
Reply 39
all these people changing names... I get confused as to who's who.

who did lennon=god used to be?

Latest

Trending

Trending