Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Studying abroad gives students a distinct educational advantage over others that stay at University because you go to a different country, learn new things etc etc. It sounds fantastic..studying in europe, australia or the united states.

However, I personally don't think I could do it. A year apart from family and friends will seem like a lifetime. Missing out on thing's that you do with the people you love, isn't worth anything in my opinion. A lot of things can happen in a year, whether it be good or bad, being there is important.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this? Would you study abroad?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to England this fall to study abroad.

What you said is true and I know I will miss a lot of things (like birthdays, anniversaries, etc).

But I also know that studying abroad is a great opportunity for me. I will actually get to have a degree in something that my country does not offer. There is also the traveling, which I know I will do.

I thought this through and, for me, it seemed like studying abroad fit perfectly in my life. I fear being lonely for a year but I see this as a chance for personal growth.

The way I see it, it is just a year. I will be going home for Christmas and Easter and as such it will be easier.

A year goes by so quickly that I know I will be fine.

And think about this: I may miss a lot of things back home but my family and friends will miss a lot too. They won't get to see and do what I will and they won't get the same opportunities that I'm getting.

This is too long lol I don't know if I managed to explain why it made sense to me, but if it isn't for you then it's fine. We are all different people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would be brave enough to do my whole degree abroad but I'm looking into doing a year abroad, your with other students so it would go really quickly and family is fine I think it's mostly my boyfriend and friends at uni I would miss. Unfortunately most degrees you do if your away from home you miss most of the family events and friends and families birthdays anyway. Most students only go home for Easter, Christmas and summer anyway which you can do studying abroad so I don't think you would miss much extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Wookie)
    I'm moving to the Netherlands in less than a month to study abroad for a year, and I'm not bothered at all tbh. Last year, when I moved to my home uni (which is only a 25 minute drive away from my house) I felt terrible at leaving everything behind. This time well, it's much further and I can't even call home or anything, but I just don't feel so bad about it.

How I viewed it was that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll never get the option to move abroad where my trip is essentially all paid for (student loan + Erasmus scheme = ~8 grand) and I have a home to return to in England if it goes wrong. If I wanted to move there in later life, I'd have to pack up all my stuff, have a job waiting for me and go through the hassle of purchasing a house etc etc.

Honestly, your family and friends will still be there when you get back, it's only a year of your life. That is assuming you mean a year abroad, a full course is a bit different... But you can still come home for Christmas and then you have from around May - October where uni is closed, so it's only like 1.5 years of actually being at the uni at minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I'm moving to the Netherlands in less than a month to study abroad for a year, and I'm not bothered at all tbh. Last year, when I moved to my home uni (which is only a 25 minute drive away from my house) I felt terrible at leaving everything behind. This time well, it's much further and I can't even call home or anything, but I just don't feel so bad about it.

How I viewed it was that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll never get the option to move abroad where my trip is essentially all paid for (student loan + Erasmus scheme = ~8 grand) and I have a home to return to in England if it goes wrong. If I wanted to move there in later life, I'd have to pack up all my stuff, have a job waiting for me and go through the hassle of purchasing a house etc etc.

Honestly, your family and friends will still be there when you get back, it's only a year of your life. That is assuming you mean a year abroad, a full course is a bit different... But you can still come home for Christmas and then you have from around May - October where uni is closed, so it's only like 1.5 years of actually being at the uni at minimum.
    Nicely put ^^ I'm moving to England in two months and I'm really excited.

I agree with you - it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We are young now and with no responsabilities (like children) so it's the right time.

Good luck with your studies and have a safe trip!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.