US Bombs the Great Barrier Rief Watch

Isengard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is absolutely despicable, if I was Australian PM I would declare war with America and cease trade, there is absolutely no excuse for bombing an environmental landmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394233
PerArduaAdAstra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you actually read the article?
alex193
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They dropped non-fused bombs, well away from the coral and in deep water, so they could land safely after an aborted training mission, which whist regrettable in itself is the least destructive course of action that they could have taken. What would you have had them do, crash on landing with half a tonne of explosives each, just ready to cook off?
Harpoon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Misleading headline, causing a fuss over nothing. Inert bombs that didn't actually hit the reef area, would have been a lot worse if the bombs hadn't been jettisoned and the Harrier's had been lost.
Tai Ga
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You clearly haven't read the article.
Isengard
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The bombs could have easily went off.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is TSR. Don't let facts get in the way of some hatred.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're not bombs. They're inert.

Basically, they're shaped lumps of concrete. Absolutely no explosives whatsoever.
alex193
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
They're not bombs. They're inert.

Basically, they're shaped lumps of concrete. Absolutely no explosives whatsoever.
Two were inert, two were live but unarmed and failed to explode.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alex193)
Two were inert, two were live but unarmed and failed to explode.
Unarmed bombs have a habit of not exploding. But I have to say that the OPs outrage bus seems to have stalled. A non story really. Military aircraft jettison ordanance in a safe area to land safely.
Duke Mehnard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Unarmed bombs have a habit of not exploding. But I have to say that the OPs outrage bus seems to have stalled. A non story really. Military aircraft jettison ordanance in a safe area to land safely.
Nonsense. The Australian navy clearly needs to immediately sortie to bombard the US western coastal cities as per the OP's suggestion.
MantaRey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Duke Mehnard)
Nonsense. The Australian navy clearly needs to immediately sortie to bombard the US western coastal cities as per the OP's suggestion.
After which, we will discuss the Former Commonwealth of Australia.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Duke Mehnard)
Would this be with or without the help of the US Navy's 7th and 3rd fleets giving them a hand with replenishment at sea to get there in the first place?
HarryJames
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Isengard)
This is absolutely despicable, if I was Australian PM I would declare war with America and cease trade, there is absolutely no excuse for bombing an environmental landmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394233
Then not only would your reef get bombed but you're whole country would be bombed into next Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Harpoon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The bombs have been recovered and disposed of: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=76302
Epos4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
good grief
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.42%
No (460)
60.53%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.05%

Watched Threads