Do you read more than one book at a time? Watch

Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you read more than one novel at a time? I'm not talking about information books, I have about ten of them bookmarked.

I've never read two novels at the same time before, reading one chapter of one then a chapter of the other, or picking them up when I fancy.

It's just that I bought a few new novels and then for some reason started rereading LOTR, I'm now about half way through the LOTR books but I really want to read something else too, but for some reason the idea feels really weird or wrong! Does it work? What do you all think?
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I tend to flick between books a bit. It works but you can't have books that are too similar. I wouldn't for instance read LOTR at the same time as ASOIAF books,

I often have a few books 'on the go' at once, eg one factual economics/politics/history type book, a sports book and one fiction book. I do a lot of travelling on trains/waiting in stations with a kindle so I just tend to pick up whatever mood I feel like. Sometimes the sports books are the easiest reads so if I'm really tired I'll read someones autobiography or the inside story of Real Madrid or whatever, sometimes I'm eager to get to the next bit of a fiction book, other times when I'm less tired I'll read the factual book.

I also find that if I read a really good fiction book, when I've finished it, I can't pick up another fiction book straight away, I need to let it settle for a bit. So having a couple of other books on the go is a good bridge.

You can do two fiction books on the go if they are very different and sometimes it helps if you feel in a bit of a rut with a long one, to break it up a bit. I often do re-reads of my favourite books too, so will sometimes have a re-read on the go as an ongoing project dipping in here and there.

I suppose it depends how much you read. I read a lot so even with mixing around, there isn't too long between putting down one book and reading it again.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes but then I find it takes me months to finish either one. If I have one to focus on I just burn through it.
dean01234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No,

I am reading the song of fire and ice books at the moment and will read different books in between. But I don't think I could focus as easily if I was reading multiple books at once, plus I think it would feel like I was cheating on one set of characters
bobbieare
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have but it's usually where I'm kind of getting bored of a book so I'll read another one at the same time. Usually when I have a book I'm obsessed with, it is just me and that one book.
ashleighgiles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Back in high school, yes.
I had to read The Kite Runner and 1984 at a time, for the IB.

Planning to buy Dan Brown's Inferno soon! The hard cover is so expensive
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes but they'd have to be distinct – poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction, something like that.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I don't. I think it's easier to just read one at a time. Plus I tend to get really interested in a book, and so I only want to read that one at that time. Then when it's done I'll move on to the next one.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I usually read a book, randomly stop half way through, start reading another book, stop half way through that, then go back to the first and finish it. I'm terrible, I like reading I just have a really inefficient way of doing it.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep. Right now I am reading Catch-22, North and South and Vanity Fair

I usually have several books on the go, sometimes you're not in the mood for a certain genre or the next book in a series has just come out and you buy it, take a sneaky look at the first page and after walking into several lampposts and reading every time you're on public transport you realise you've finished it. Plus my Kindle combined with a one-hour-each-way trip to work has made me even worse than I usually am.
Chris_23
Badges: 2
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, but usually I read one book on the bus to and from work, and the second book I read before I go to bed. So a good hour a day of each book.

I never get mixed up with characters or storylines, unless, as the above poster has said, I try to read books very similar such as LOTR and ASOIAF
twinlensreflex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Very often I'm reading half a dozen different things (or more...), including the ones I dip in and out of (art books/essays etc). Sometimes I'm just in the mood for different things, or I get a new book and *have* to start it, so I end up being constantly half way through things. Occasionally I'll just stick to one thing, like on Saturday I read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane in a couple of hours, but that's fairly rare.

Currently reading: LOTR, Ulysses, H.G. Wells short stories, The Dice Man, Hawksmoor, WARP & How Music Works.
Bapbabelubah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No - I prefer to focus on one book at a time. I tried to read more but I ended up not remembering all the little details, and I had to re-read them so I could understand what the heck was going on. It's not like it got all mixed up, I was just not paying attention to what I tried to read Plus, it was really frustrating when I saw two unfinished books, I felt like I was abandoning one whilst reading the other one
IndiaCaitlinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm reading ASOIAF at the moment and my Mum is trying to get me to read the Outlander series but I'm really bad at reading more than one book at a time because I get so absorbed in books I end up thinking about them even I'm not reading so I tend to stick to one book at a time.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I usually read two or three books at a time: one is for breakfast / daytime reading, one for bedtime reading that I'll end up falling asleep over, and a third that I carry around with me for when I feel like reading during lunch breaks at work or if I have to wait for a bus or something (the third one is optional, though; sometimes I just take along the daytime book). I've found that keeping them separate like this makes it a lot easier to read several books at a time.
Ladyliesel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I sometimes do. I have a long list of books I want to read, so when I see another one I grab it and try to start, even if I'm already on one. I have books all over the place with bookmarks in, proper ones, nailfiles, bits of paper, etc .
Platinum Mech
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm only reading one book at the moment, but I've read more than one at the same time before. I enjoy life more when there is especially good variety in it, so it does suit me. :cute:
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am reading 2 books atm, but only cause I have to finish one, which i'm reading for my English coursework, by the end of the holidays.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can usually do two max but that usually involves novels I'm reading that I want to and novels that I need to read or read around for school. Sometimes leaves me pretty confused though especially if its similar.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, all the time. I usually read between 3-5 books at a time. Although I find it takes me longer to finish them.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads