The Student Room Group

Postgrad accomodation

I'm going to Manchester in September to study an MA in Political Economy, but I'm not sure what to do about accomodation. I did my BA at Hull, so I don't know many people at Manchester, and I wondered if anyone had experience with postgraduate halls (particularly at Manchester, but I'm interested in replies from anyone with experience of them!) In terms of social life, would I be better off going for halls, or would I stand as good a chance renting a place privately and just joining a few societies?
Reply 1
Original post by nndean
I'm going to Manchester in September to study an MA in Political Economy, but I'm not sure what to do about accomodation. I did my BA at Hull, so I don't know many people at Manchester, and I wondered if anyone had experience with postgraduate halls (particularly at Manchester, but I'm interested in replies from anyone with experience of them!) In terms of social life, would I be better off going for halls, or would I stand as good a chance renting a place privately and just joining a few societies?

I was in postgrad halls for my MA and really enjoyed the socially side. It's different from undergrad and the work ethic is much higher. Our late nights were usually spent playing scrabble! Our only major issue was that the campus was shut during the holidays (summer primarily) as they seemed to forget there were still postgrads on campus who wanted to buy a coffee or an ice cream occasionally :rolleyes:

I tried joining a couple of societies but found they were more undergrad focused which had its downsides. I want to join a sport society to play sport, not drink gallons 5 nights a week for example.
Reply 2
Original post by apotoftea
I was in postgrad halls for my MA and really enjoyed the socially side. It's different from undergrad and the work ethic is much higher. Our late nights were usually spent playing scrabble! Our only major issue was that the campus was shut during the holidays (summer primarily) as they seemed to forget there were still postgrads on campus who wanted to buy a coffee or an ice cream occasionally :rolleyes:

I tried joining a couple of societies but found they were more undergrad focused which had its downsides. I want to join a sport society to play sport, not drink gallons 5 nights a week for example.

Thanks for replying =) the thing is I'm still not ready to stop acting like an undergrad, so the whole idea of postgraduate halls not being as exciting doesn't really appeal to me...I don't think I'll have any problems with the societies though, I only really started going to socials in the last year of my undergrad, so I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time!
Reply 3
Original post by nndean
Thanks for replying =) the thing is I'm still not ready to stop acting like an undergrad, so the whole idea of postgraduate halls not being as exciting doesn't really appeal to me...I don't think I'll have any problems with the societies though, I only really started going to socials in the last year of my undergrad, so I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time!

I think what you have to remember with postgrad halls is that not everyone will be 21/straight from undergrad studies. The average age of my flat was closer to 30 than 20 if I remember rightly, especially with the international students.

Take from a hard nosed bitter postgrad, postgrad studies require a bit more maturity so don't be surprised if you do settle down a bit and quickly :wink: My experience was of a quiet campus uni in a small town rather than central London or Manchester for example :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending