Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm starting college in september but have already looked into some universities that I may or may not apply to. I came across the university of Edinburgh and have taken a real shine towards it. I was wondering (to those who go there) if you could perhaps tell me about it and why you enjoy it and what made you choose it compared to the others that you had applied to.

All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a conditional offer for 2013 so am not actually there yet, but for me it was just a "knowing" that it's the right place. I looked at the website, looked at the course details etc and it just seemed right. Then I went to the open day and feel in love with the uni and the city Go to the open day, talk to current students and just walk around the city. That's the best way to get a feel for it What are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    It's either going to be medicine or dentistry but the university does look pretty amazing! What are you hoping to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is well known for its medicine school, and I think the dental school is pretty highly regarded too I'm hoping to study nursing

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I wish you well! what a levels did you do at college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As for me, I've already loved Scotland and Edinburgh before applying. The city seemed to be of the "right" size, with lots of things going on, but still not as big as the big cities (>500k inhabitants). The university has a really good reputation in the international rankings, but putting the cliches aside, I love the numerous facilities such as the gym, the Advice Place, the Counselling Service, the chaplaincy, you also get guaranteed accommodation in first year (at least allegedly, but most likely). There's a lot of fun through volunteering opportunities, societies, sport teams, and the EUSA itself. Despite some rather unpleasant buildings on site, the central campus is lovely, and of course it's not a *perfect* place, since everyone has different expectations, but there are surely great things going on if you're open to grasp them and get involved.
    Personally, I chose Edinburgh for financial reasons too (no fees since I'm from the EU) and I also received a scholarship, which meant a lot to me.
    You might want to have a look at how your degree is structured (what courses you'll get to attend): http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/drpsindex.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star9005)
    As for me, I've already loved Scotland and Edinburgh before applying. The city seemed to be of the "right" size, with lots of things going on, but still not as big as the big cities (>500k inhabitants). The university has a really good reputation in the international rankings, but putting the cliches aside, I love the numerous facilities such as the gym, the Advice Place, the Counselling Service, the chaplaincy, you also get guaranteed accommodation in first year (at least allegedly, but most likely). There's a lot of fun through volunteering opportunities, societies, sport teams, and the EUSA itself. Despite some rather unpleasant buildings on site, the central campus is lovely, and of course it's not a *perfect* place, since everyone has different expectations, but there are surely great things going on if you're open to it.
    Personally, I chose Edinburgh for financial reasons too (no fees since I'm from the EU) and I also received a scholarship, which meant a lot to me.
    You might want to have a look at how your degree is structured (what courses you'll get to attend): http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/13-14/dpt/drpsindex.htm
    Hi, I'm hoping to apply to the university next year and was wondering the same about the place. Being settled outside the UK it's difficult for me to attend any open days or visit the campus before hand, but reading your comments gives me the feel of a lively place. I've visited England a couple of years back, never managed to get so far North though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2013
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.