The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeathGuardElite
Mentioned it twice.
Also first time i mentioned it i felt i didn't do a good enough job.

also your or sentence there i take as a threat -_- just give a card save us time of even talking about it or mentioning it.

3 times actually :tongue:

Not a threat, a friendly reminder that there are rules on spam and continually posting about the same thing does come under that.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Praying :jumphug: Speak later, lovely, once you're awake :lovehug:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
And you've mentioned this a few times now, can you please stop or I'm going to have to card you for spamming.

Praying darling.

Thank you both. :hugs:
Reply 2042
Praying for all those who have requested. :grouphugs:
Original post by Mazzini
Praying for all those who have requested. :grouphugs:

The Miranda gif in your sig is hilarious :ahee:
Reply 2044
The Miranda gif in your sig is hilarious :ahee:

Glad someone appreciates it :awesome:

I decided to make it festive :tongue:

Edit: she has other hats too, just the reindeer one was the only one I could find a GIF of :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2045
Prayers please. Feeling incredibly worried about school and exams. :cry: :getmecoat:
Original post by Mazzini
Prayers please. Feeling incredibly worried about school and exams. :cry: :getmecoat:

Of course lovely. :hugs: You are always in my prayers.
Reply 2047
Original post by tasha96
Of course lovely. :hugs: You are always in my prayers.

Thank you hun. :hugs:

And you in mine. :yes: :hugs:
I just feel so demotivated at the moment. Nothing to do with myself 'til I travel back to school on Tuesday (2 hour car journey, 8 hour flight, 4 hour train journey... 5 timezone difference, and school at 8:30 am on Wednesday :rolleyes:) so just kind of feel empty and bored. I want to get back in touch with God but I don't even know where to start... it's grey outside - so easy to see the negatives! I want more than anything to just get out of this rut but it is difficult! Find it hard reading the Bible with my short attention span too :wink: Prayers and advice would be appreciated :smile:

Original post by Mazzini

I will try :smile:
Reply 2049
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I just feel so demotivated at the moment. Nothing to do with myself 'til I travel back to school on Tuesday (2 hour car journey, 8 hour flight, 4 hour train journey... 5 timezone difference, and school at 8:30 am on Wednesday :rolleyes:) so just kind of feel empty and bored. I want to get back in touch with God but I don't even know where to start... it's grey outside - so easy to see the negatives! I want more than anything to just get out of this rut but it is difficult! Find it hard reading the Bible with my short attention span too :wink: Prayers and advice would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks. Will be praying for you too, for sure :hugs:

If it's any consolation, my attention span is about five minutes long right now because of stress.
Reply 2050

Don't try to read the Bible then. Try opening it to a random page, and just looking at one or two verses and see what you get from that.

I get that too, especially if I try to read a specific bit. The random page method works better for me, I find. :yep:
Original post by Mazzini

:jumphug:

Praying hun :sadnod:

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. Have you tried reading a Psalm every once in a while? Most of them are of reasonable length. Or you could read a few verses from Proverbs each day?

My concentration is **** too, if that's any consolation :console:

Will be praying for you :yes:
Reply 2052
:jumphug:

Praying hun :sadnod:

Thanks hun. Also praying for you :hugs:
Reply 2053
Just want to share what I learned today!

What will motivate you to do what God wants you to do?

It's easy to be saved but living life as a Christian is never easy. Discipleship is hard work and surely there will be persecution and suffering. But the Bible said "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."(Romans 8:18)
Upon reading that verse it was stamped on my mind that suffering is temporary. This message was such an eye-opener for me, surely there is no time to slack.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
Don't try to read the Bible then. Try opening it to a random page, and just looking at one or two verses and see what you get from that.

I get that too, especially if I try to read a specific bit. The random page method works better for me, I find. :yep:

Prayer is difficult. The spiritual life is difficult. Try to remember, though, that God's burden is light! That's somewhere in the Bible...

In Orthodoxy, we often pray a short, repeated phrase over and over again. The commonest is the Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." Some people will pick a line from the psalms, eg "have mercy on me O God according your great goodness." St John Cassian advised his spiritual children to pray "O Lord make speed to save us, O Lord make haste to help us." Or just "Lord, have mercy" will do! The important thing is to remember that it is the spiritual way, not the spiritual sprint. We are in for thelong haul, and God is helping us along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised
.”

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

(Notice how Job doesn't blame God despite all he went through. Even after loosing his kids he does not say 'why me?' or accuse God of forsaking him but, instead maintains his faith and continues to worship him:crossedf:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello everyone,

It has been far too long since I last posted on here. I wasted to get some advice or help from a Christian perspective. I started university about three months ago and since then feel that I have really drifted away from my faith. I started medical school and since then I have lost the confidence and ability to believe in myself, can struggle from panic attacks and am fearful of the exams that I have coming up in a weeks time.

Its the whole idea of these things coming from the devil. I feel that when I pray my troubles are at ease and that God has a plan for me directing me to success. But every so often these thoughts of "What if I fail this exam?", and "You are a loser" that crop up in my mind every so often. Does anyone know of any scripture readings or passages in the bible that could help me?

Thank you very much!
Original post by JoshL123
Hello everyone,

It has been far too long since I last posted on here. I wasted to get some advice or help from a Christian perspective. I started university about three months ago and since then feel that I have really drifted away from my faith. I started medical school and since then I have lost the confidence and ability to believe in myself, can struggle from panic attacks and am fearful of the exams that I have coming up in a weeks time.

Its the whole idea of these things coming from the devil. I feel that when I pray my troubles are at ease and that God has a plan for me directing me to success. But every so often these thoughts of "What if I fail this exam?", and "You are a loser" that crop up in my mind every so often. Does anyone know of any scripture readings or passages in the bible that could help me?

Thank you very much!

Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT) Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 6:25-34 (NIV) 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Would appreciate prayers, have had a very bad/dangerous start to January and am gonna phone up the hospital today to see what they say about it. I really don't wanna become an inpatient :cry2:

Original post by CasualSoul
One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, and the Sabeans attacked and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised
.”

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

(Notice how Job doesn't blame God despite all he went through. Even after loosing his kids he does not say 'why me?' or accuse God of forsaking him but, instead maintains his faith and continues to worship him:crossedf:)

Thanks for posting this. I need to be more like Job :colondollar:

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I'm not that great with Bible passages :o: I will certainly pray for you though :hugs:
Reply 2059
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!

1 Cor 10:13
"None of the trials which have come upon you is more than a human being can stand. You can trust that God will not let you be put to the test beyond your strength, but with any trial will also provide a way out by enabling you to put up with it."

You can do it :yep:

Listening to these thoughts from the enemy is dangerous. He wants you to fail, and to feel that God has abandoned you, but even when you feel totally alone, remember that God is still there, just waiting patiently for you to turn back to him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending