The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by James A
Does anyone have advice on how to deal with freshers week, from the point of a Christian?

I don't wanna be sucked in, to the clubbing lifestyle, but wouldn't mind the odd pint!

I was wondering about this too - I met another Christian girl at a post offer day, perhaps it's good to have safety in numbers?
Original post by James A
Does anyone have advice on how to deal with freshers week, from the point of a Christian?

I don't wanna be sucked in, to the clubbing lifestyle, but wouldn't mind the odd pint!

Original post by Alice_95
I was wondering about this too - I met another Christian girl at a post offer day, perhaps it's good to have safety in numbers?

Right I'm gonna give you advice which I definitely wish I'd been given because first year of uni was awful for me as I assumed that happiness could be found in student lifestyle

1) set a limit on amount of drinks you're gonna have per night and only take enough money for that and a cab home, then you won't even be tempted to have more and get out of control

2) getting stuck into a CU and/or church should be a first priority not a second, make it a habit rather than a once in a while

3) if you order a coke or orange juice or someone then you can always pretend it's got booze in

4) don't hide the fact you're a Christian, yes it may lead to awkward questions or people thinking you're weird but more often than not people don't care at all and are happy you're open with them!

5) life lived for Christ is infinitely better than trying to live how people think you should, you can't find happiness in going out, getting drunk and pulling people. You just can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wise words from GEG there!

One or two suggestions myself:

1) Not all freshers events will be about getting drunk. Go in search of the ones where you can meet people in a sober environment. I met some of my best undergrad friends at a cinema/ice cream parlour trip. These things tend not to be so visible in the events schedule but they will be happening if you look for them!

2) Be open about the fact that you're not particularly interested in just getting drunk all the time. There will be lots of people in the same position (whether for religious reasons or not), and they might be nervous about saying it. If you make it well known then you'll attract the people to you that are looking for the same sort of fun. Lots of people are teetotal, for example - more than you might expect. You can also organise sober social events yourself!

3) If you do want to go out drinking, have fun, but stay safe! There's no need to get drunk to have fun, and it's always useful to be more sober than your friends in case something happens and a clear head is needed. And pray beforehand that God will help you to avoid temptations.

4) Like GEG said, get stuck into church/CU life as soon as possible. It's a great way of meeting like-minded people and will help you keep focussing on God through this huge change in your life.

5) Have fun!
Original post by Mazzini

Mine are AS-levels :yep: I haven't applied yet :nah:

-cough- Right, I knew that :ninja: Totally didn't get that wrong... No siree....

Are you getting ready for UCAS applying yet or not? (if you're going at all that is :colondollar:)

Original post by James A

Apart from what the others have said, afew of the subforums have a non-drinkers/clubbers society going so if Reading doesn't have one yet you could just get one going. You could organise some non-clubbing based activities such as going to the pub with others :yep: Also chances are local CathSoc/Chaplaincies/CUs will probably be organising activities and events for everyone to get to know each other with so have a look on their bulletin board.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll defo try and organise a non-drinking event or see if there are some already going!
Reply 525
I also want to say that you can quite happily go out to clubs without drinking too much or pulling anyone, if you find the right people to go out with. I went out quite a lot with people from Cathsoc, because I knew it was a safe environment :h:

(I also sometimes went out other people, but always people I knew would be sensible - also, Durham is a very safe place, and nowhere is open later than about 2am :mmm:)

Having a 2 drink limit works quite well :yep:
Original post by Aula
I also want to say that you can quite happily go out to clubs without drinking too much or pulling anyone, if you find the right people to go out with. I went out quite a lot with people from Cathsoc, because I knew it was a safe environment :h:

(I also sometimes went out other people, but always people I knew would be sensible - also, Durham is a very safe place, and nowhere is open later than about 2am :mmm:)

Having a 2 drink limit works quite well :yep:

Durham is full of knife crime, druggies and money launderers :sly:
Reply 527
Original post by Melancholy
Durham is full of knife crime, druggies and money launderers :sly:

Only when you and friends are visiting :sly:
Original post by Aula
Only when you and friends are visiting :sly:

:jerry:
I have caught a cold in the middle of August :sick: How does one even do that?

Bleh I say! Bleh!
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I have caught a cold in the middle of August :sick: How does one even do that?

Bleh I say! Bleh!

You took the words outta my mouth! :yes: :lolwut: :s-smilie:

:console:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
x

:eek4: :eek2: TLG TLG TLG :eek2: :eek4:

I just saw a 99p cone for £1.20 :frown: I feel betrayed :frown:

When did this happen TLG? Have I been sleeping under a rock for the past billion years? Why isn't Cameron involved?!
Reply 532
Original post by Mazzini
Glad to hear it was a good service :yes: :hugs:

Yay, congrats :biggrin:

:hmmm: better? :eyeball: :tongue:

Just my opinion, everyone is different :tongue:

I found a mammoth thick coat in TK Maxx cheaply last year... so nice, you might want to have a look there :biggrin:

I actually already have a great coat, it's just all other clothes I need :biggrin:

Did they tell you the story about Cruddas? :ninja:

Is that the lady that gave the land for the bar? Then yes! :teehee:

Oh, and we might be living on the same street next year if I get into Chad's :ninja:

You'd better! It's going to be rockin'! :ahee:

Original post by Aula
When I was there, we'd meet in the pub after Mass on a Sunday (evening Mass so pub by half 7...)

Latter years we had a small prayer group including adoration every other Tuesday evening. I think they're doing more weekly stuff now though!

Also, there was a Taizé prayer group every other Monday over at Hild Bede, but the people who ran it will have left by now, so I don't know whether it will still be going.

Sounds good, thanks :smile:

Def recommend the union society, if you like listening or participating in debates. It's pricey, but worth it imo. Other than that, it depends entirely on what your interests are.

Might try that :smile: Got first place in the Y13 debating competition :biggrin:

See, I'm good at the eccumenical stuff, me. Not just pointing people towards St Cuthberts :proud:
(by which I mean the RC church, not the society)

You are, thanks for your help :h:

I was at Aidan's. Don't remember whether I've said it before or not :dontknow:
I never actually did anything much with my college CU. Not quite sure why though. I know other people had a lovely time there though.

I'll definitely check mine out even if I don't end up going :yep:
I can't English no mores. Too much Gaelic.

Lovely, lovely Gaelic.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:eek4: :eek2: TLG TLG TLG :eek2: :eek4:

I just saw a 99p cone for £1.20 :frown: I feel betrayed :frown:

When did this happen TLG? Have I been sleeping under a rock for the past billion years? Why isn't Cameron involved?!

It's been happening for years. Tiz a travesty :sadnod: :cry: :sadnod:

Original post by FinnLassie
I can't English no mores. Too much Gaelic.

Lovely, lovely Gaelic.

:ahee:

How would I say, "well hello there ma sexy Finn?" in Gaelic, then? :p: :ninja: :sexface:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You took the words outta my mouth! :yes: :lolwut: :s-smilie:

To make it even worse I have the very smallest of rash on the sides of my mouth so if I try to put cream on it it'll just get ingested yet it hurts every time I open my open :s-smilie:

Oh and I had singularly the worst night's sleep of my life :^_^: So that's fun /rant over
Reply 536
Original post by navarre

Love this song!
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
To make it even worse I have the very smallest of rash on the sides of my mouth so if I try to put cream on it it'll just get ingested yet it hurts every time I open my open :s-smilie:

Oh and I had singularly the worst night's sleep of my life :^_^: So that's fun /rant over

'Open my open'? :K: Think i'll give up today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending