The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5420
It's silly, but somehow every time I watch Les Mis I've managed to forget just how much God there is in it :Jesus:

And how much Bishop Bienvenu is totally Papa Frankie :love: (admittedly more in the book than the musical or film)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here. How are you all doing?
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Hello and welcome! :jebus:

:hi: Welcome! I'm Shan, resident badly-behaved Catholic :jebus: How are you today? Do feel free to introduce yourself a bit :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi: Welcome! I'm Shan, resident badly-behaved Catholic :jebus: How are you today? Do feel free to introduce yourself a bit :biggrin:

Original post by AnnieGakusei
Hello and welcome! :jebus:

Hello I'm 15 years old. I was born and raised a christian( Baptist i believe) and I'm doing my GCSEs this year. I'm doing well, thanks for the welcome. I was just reading the threads about death on TSR and I saw some religious people on there, so I thought I would join this society.
Hello I'm 15 years old. I was born and raised a christian( Baptist i believe) and I'm doing my GCSEs this year. I'm doing well, thanks for the welcome. I was just reading the threads about death on TSR and I saw some religious people on there, so I thought I would join this society.

I know hardly anyone religious in real life, so it's nice to have some people online whom I can talk to. I was born and raised an atheist and I really needed societies like this after converting to religion. I think it's saved my sanity. :tongue:

Oooh, good luck with your GCSEs - I don't envy you, GCSEs are hardcore. So much to learn :afraid:

Joining this Soc is def better than reading threads about death :yep:
Question? How can people consider the Pope a true representative of the Catholic Church when the following has been done.

1. He is calling for a 1 world economic union.
2. He is constantly looking out for space aliens.
3. He made the 666 sign 3 times in front of US Congress recently.

Question? Why do people take Catholics seriously when Catholic Bishops around the world open display the all seeing eye.

Personally I get sick of the fact that a good majority of my fellow Christians are ejected from congregations for trying to warn other Christians what these symbols mean. We are accused of associating with witchcraft which is the exact opposite what we do. We research what all these things mean.

The Church is under attack from all sides at the moment and Christians who aren't educated in the occult are going to get led away when one of these false prophets starts linking all the world's religion into the pre-flood state of Sun Worship. Lucifier Worship basically.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Question? ....

This is an ecumenical thread, with Catholic members. This is not the place to be asking the questions you are asking or starting inflammatory conversations.

If you want to start a debate about the validity of the Catholic Church or feel a need to Catholic-bash, then create a separate thread in D&CA's 'Religion' section.

I suggest you remove your post and don't post any further materials like this here. Thanks :smile:
This is an ecumenical thread, with Catholic members. This is not the place to be asking the questions you are asking or starting inflammatory conversations.

If you want to start a debate about the validity of the Catholic Church or feel a need to Catholic-bash, then create a separate thread in D&CA's 'Religion' section.

I suggest you remove your post and don't post any further materials like this here. Thanks :smile:

Just as I thought. Well enjoy the Sun worship. I won't post here anymore.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Just as I thought. Well enjoy the Sun worship. I won't post here anymore.

Thanks - I will enjoy it :wink:
I know hardly anyone religious in real life, so it's nice to have some people online whom I can talk to. I was born and raised an atheist and I really needed societies like this after converting to religion. I think it's saved my sanity. :tongue:

Would you mind saying how you met God coming from an atheist family and how did they react when you told them (if you have :smile:).

I'm glad. The only religious people I know are full grown adults. They're a lot of Christians at church- but I'm not really friends with them :3. No one I know in school is really a Christian- those who say they are don't go to church, do the same things as everyone else etc etc, I'm not judging them, I'm just saying :tongue:

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons I chose to join :smile:

Oooh, good luck with your GCSEs - I don't envy you, GCSEs are hardcore. So much to learn :afraid:

Joining this Soc is def better than reading threads about death :yep:

Yeah. I'm quite nervous for them, especially since loads of people on TSR have started revising but I haven't done any lol. From your profile I see you went to Oxford, so you probably had amazing GCSEs, any advice?

True, it was odd because I have been thinking about it lately too, which is quite grim considering my age.
Original post by Racoon
Would you mind saying how you met God coming from an atheist family and how did they react when you told them (if you have :smile:).

It's kind of a weird (not to mention long) story, because I don't know that many people who converted to religion without having some kind of life-changing experience. For me, it was cumulative - a series of small steps one after the other.

I was a very strong atheist for a long time. I believed firmly that God did not exist, as my parents did and had always taught me. I actually used to shudder whenever religion, particularly Christianity, was mentioned. I'm ashamed to say I spent quite a lot of time picking fights with one of my Christian friends and criticising her beliefs to my parents (and I'm very thankful she chose to remain friends with me)

I hit a kind of low point in my life. I'd left school, drifted into a vocational course I really didn't want to do and I felt like I'd completely wasted my opportunity. I couldn't see my future as lying in that course. I hated everything about it - I didn't like the students, I didn't like the teachers, I didn't like the workload and I didn't like how non-academic it was. After a long inner battle, I dropped out and returned to school to do my A-levels.

One of my chosen subjects was Philosophy of Religion and Ethics - a subject I quite enjoyed because I liked to pick apart what I saw as flawed arguments, and I had some strange obsession over discussing religion. Maybe I thought that if I argued hard enough, I could turn the whole world atheist.

Anyway, I had a great teacher (an atheist himself) and I found myself really enjoying the course. And as I learnt the varying arguments for God, I found something strange begin to happen. I was becoming less radical and far, far more open to other people's arguments.

Then one day the teacher mentioned Jesus's name. Not really anything in particular, just in passing because of some new theory we were going to start learning. And I felt a kind of weird jolt, like I'd missed a step going downstairs. Didn't really think anything of it, just "oh yeah, that guy is pretty cool isn't he? Seems like he came up with some good ideas."

In my youth group we then began to turn our attention to religion. We went to a Buddhist temple and then attended some Christian meetings to see how they worshipped. For some reason when we'd all fallen silent, I found myself saying a prayer in my head. Something about wanting to try and be like Jesus and asking if God was out there, I don't really remember exactly what it was.

That night, I went home and I prayed for the first time.

And nothing really happened. I was being a bit of a demanding brat, asking God for signs all the time that He was out there. I'm not sure what I expected. Maybe something flashy, like some really epic dream of fire and brimstone or a giant cross to appear in a vapour trail across the sky. But actually, He changed things in a more subtle way - in my heart. And once or twice, when I was praying, I was very, very sure that He was right there in the room with me.

After that, I made a very religious friend in America (oh the wonders of the Internet) whose beliefs I didn't really agree with (she was rather fundamental in her ideas but I was rather liberal) and she told me I was going to hell, which upset me at the time. I was shocked by how much it did upset me. Before I'd have just written someone like her off as a bit mad or even deluded, but then I realised I was upset because she had implied that I wasn't good enough for God.

I picked up various religious pamphlets, read some of the Bible (mainly the Gospels - I tried to start from Genesis but I remembered someone telling me the Gospels were the most important to know so I just leapt in straight with the NT) and began to pray every night.

I never told my parents. My father can probably guess because I talk so passionately about the Bible and how religion really is quite an amazing thing (I told him I was agnostic once) but my mother, as far as I'm aware, remains completely unaware that her daughter has converted to some "delusional" way of thinking. Her words, not mine.

Sorry this was so long and rambling, but like I said, kind of a long story. :smile:
Reply 5434
Constantly looking out for space aliens :rofl:

Yeah. I'm quite nervous for them, especially since loads of people on TSR have started revising but I haven't done any lol. From your profile I see you went to Oxford, so you probably had amazing GCSEs, any advice?

True, it was odd because I have been thinking about it lately too, which is quite grim considering my age.

Revising in October?!?! :lolwut: Some people are too keen :erm: I didn't have particularly amazing GCSEs - 7A*s and 3As, which was OK for my school (my school somehow excelled at GCSE but was **** for A Levels, lol) but certainly not the best in the school :nah: My advice would be to prepare notes early (though not as early as October :eek: ) and just work as hard as you can. That way you'll have no regrets at the end, coz you couldn't have tried any harder :nah:

Sorry this was so long and rambling, but like I said, kind of a long story. :smile:

Don't apologise - was a beautiful read :h:

Original post by Aula
Constantly looking out for space aliens :rofl:

I know, right? Silly Papa Frankie :teehee:
My Christian friend who I hadn't spoken to for a year phoned me earlier this evening and I'm wondering if I should have brought up the fact that I've become a Christian. It would be great to have a really in-depth conversation about religion but I'm really awkward to discuss things like this because it feels so personal to me.

She said she had to go but that she'd ring me back later this evening. Any advice? :smile:
My Christian friend who I hadn't spoken to for a year phoned me earlier this evening and I'm wondering if I should have brought up the fact that I've become a Christian. It would be great to have a really in-depth conversation about religion but I'm really awkward to discuss things like this because it feels so personal to me.

She said she had to go but that she'd ring me back later this evening. Any advice? :smile:

I think if she's a good friend and you feel comfortable, do mention it - she might find it a bit odd if she finds out later and you didn't mention it! But at the same time, if it doesn't feel comfortable yet, then don't force yourself to :nah: And if you DO say something, remember you only have to answer questions that you are happy to answer - just because she might ask questions, doesn't mean you have to answer :nah:
I think if she's a good friend and you feel comfortable, do mention it - she might find it a bit odd if she finds out later and you didn't mention it! But at the same time, if it doesn't feel comfortable yet, then don't force yourself to :nah: And if you DO say something, remember you only have to answer questions that you are happy to answer - just because she might ask questions, doesn't mean you have to answer :nah:

Thank you so much for the advice!
Thank you so much for the advice!

No worries, always happy to help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending