The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Hi everyone

The Lord made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross to pay for our sins so we may be reconciled with him and turn from our sinful ways. May he be glorified and may more people come to know him and be saved through faith in him.

Hi there. Very true.
Was told today, I cant be a real christian as I just happen to like Rock music and I'll burn in hell :frown: :cry: :cry2:

Is this true? I feel really awful :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
Today I met with my DDO (diocease director of ordinands- so the person who helps assess your call for ordained ministry) for the first time. It went well and i'm moving on! who knows we could have a Rev ziggysawdust! (in about 4 or 5 years time!! xd )

What denomination is that?
Original post by TheSoutherner
Was told today, I cant be a real christian as I just happen to like Rock music and I'll burn in hell :frown: :cry: :cry2:

I don't think anybody on earth has the authority to make statements like that on behalf of God. Personally I don't believe that taste in music is the kind of thing that would send you to hell - if it is, then I would have to question what kind of God we have.
Original post by zippidee
I don't think anybody on earth has the authority to make statements like that on behalf of God. Personally I don't believe that taste in music is the kind of thing that would send you to hell - if it is, then I would have to question what kind of God we have.

It was one of the more senior members of my church and tbf- she doesnt seem to like me anyway for some reason.:frown:

Thanks, that helped me :smile:
Original post by Whitewell
What denomination is that?

Anglican/ C ofE

There must be so many unreal Christians then :wink:

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Blog/5-rock-legends-you-probably-didn-t-know-are-Christians

Although I do find it interesting in the article Dave Mustaine (Metallica & Megadeth says he has a policy of not appearing with any band that plays black metal or satanic music. He will also no longer play songs that talk about occult practises. This makes sense.
Original post by JMR2017
Dear Christians,

May I point out a verse in the Holy Bible which I think may be a prophesy for the coming of Muhammad (PBUH),

"And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned." — Isaiah 29:12

I think this refers to Muhammed (PBUH) because that was his response when the Holy Quran was first revealed to him, since he was an illiterate.

You must be joking? Surely you must be. Christianity and Islam has NO relationship whatsoever. Do not try to link them. This thread is about Christianity, take Islam to an Islamic thread. It doesn't belong here, thanks.

Also don't use our HOLY BIBLE to push your faith. Christianity came before Islam historically speaking, so of course Islam/ the Quran copied from the Jewish religion/Christianity.

My Bible says "JESUS saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me" John 14 vs 6. My salvation comes from Jesus not Muhammed.

I as a Christian and many others do not believe in Muhammed/ Islam. I believe Jesus is Lord of all, the only true God and believe Jesus will come again, not Muhammed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

These are the Christians to stay away from. The ones who don't realise that all sins are forgivabale through grace by faith in Christ have not yet been saved. I'm not sure about whether listening to certain forms of music is sinful (probably is due to Satanic themes in some songs and foul language/ sexual themes) but one needs to realise that all sins are forgivable.
Original post by JMR2017
Dear Christians,

May I point out a verse in the Holy Bible which I think may be a prophesy for the coming of Muhammad (PBUH),

"And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned." — Isaiah 29:12

I think this refers to Muhammed (PBUH) because that was his response when the Holy Quran was first revealed to him, since he was an illiterate.

Firstly, it's not foreshadowing Muhammad since Isaiah lived in the 8th century, after Muhammad.

Secondly, one should look at the context of the Book of Isaiah. The chapter is referring to how God has made those who rebel against him unable to understand his Word. Read Isaiah 29:10-12 just before:
"The Lord has brought over you a deep sleep: He has sealed your eyes (the prophets); he has covered your heads (the seers). For you this whole vision is nothing but words sealed in a scroll. And if you give the scroll to someone who can read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I can’t; it is sealed.” Or if you give the scroll to someone who cannot read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I don’t know how to read.” "
Isaiah was someone who spread the message of Christ to unbelieving Jews. When they would not believe, he stated that it was because they had disbelieved so much as though God had 'sealed their eyes' making them unable to understand God's word. It had nothing to do with Muhammad at all if you look at the context.

Lastly, in Revelations 22:13 Jesus made it clear that "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End" and Matthew told us to "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." (Matthew 7:15).

(I used the New International Version translation for my quotations. In my view, it's not as beautiful as the King James Version but it's easier to understand and still holds true to the message so I used it instead of the KJV)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Vanny17
You must be joking? Surely you must be. Christianity and Islam has NO relationship whatsoever. Do not try to link them. This thread is about Christianity, take Islam to an Islamic thread. It doesn't belong here, thanks.

Also don't use our HOLY BIBLE to push your faith. Christianity came before Islam historically speaking, so of course Islam/ the Quran copied from the Jewish religion/Christianity.

My Bible says "JESUS saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me" John 14 vs 6. My salvation comes from Jesus not Muhammed.

I as a Christian and many others do not believe in Muhammed/ Islam. I believe Jesus is Lord of all, the only true God and believe Jesus will come again, not Muhammed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am only asking a question, not trying to hijack the thread. :smile:
Original post by Trapz99
Firstly, it's not foreshadowing Muhammad since Isaiah lived in the 8th century, after Muhammad.

Secondly, one should look at the context of the Book of Isaiah. The chapter is referring to how God has made those who rebel against him unable to understand his Word. Read Isaiah 29:10-12 just before:
"The Lord has brought over you a deep sleep: He has sealed your eyes (the prophets); he has covered your heads (the seers). For you this whole vision is nothing but words sealed in a scroll. And if you give the scroll to someone who can read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I can’t; it is sealed.” Or if you give the scroll to someone who cannot read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I don’t know how to read.” "
Isaiah was someone who spread the message of Christ to unbelieving Jews. When they would not believe, he stated that it was because they had disbelieved so much as though God had 'sealed their eyes' making them unable to understand God's word. It had nothing to do with Muhammad at all if you look at the context.

Lastly, in Revelations 22:13 Jesus made it clear that "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End" and Matthew told us to "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." (Matthew 7:15).

(I used the New International Version translation for my quotations. In my view, it's not as beautiful as the King James Version but it's easier to understand and still holds true to the message so I used it instead of the KJV)

Thanks for your response.
t
Original post by JMR2017
I am only asking a question, not trying to hijack the thread. :smile:

Your reply was not a question it was a blatant statement. Also, I did not see a question mark after your statements, neither did reading it sound like you were asking a question. Anyhow, the aim of this thread is for chatting and fellowship pertaining to Christianity, not Islam and this thread is "not for theological discussion - please go to the 'Ask' thread for that" thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Vanny17
t

Your reply was not a question it was a blatant statement. Also, I did not see a question mark after your statements, neither did reading it sound like you were asking a question. Anyhow, the aim of this thread is for chatting and fellowship pertaining to Christianity, not Islam and this thread is "not for theological discussion - please go to the 'Ask' thread for that" thanks.

OK I'm sorry if offended anyone. I will delete my post.
Mark 2:15-17 : "And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The reason we need Jesus is because we are not righteous. We are sinners and he is the one who can save us from sin. Jesus met and ate with sinners and talked to those at the lowest level of society because he is here for all those who have faith in him, regardless of who we are.

Rubbish. I'm a huge rock and metal fan and I'm going into ministry...

I actaully wrote an article about this, about how should Christians interact with secular music, check it out if you want

http://www.dave-barlow.com/how-should-christians-live-in-a-music-obsessed-world/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
These are the Christians to stay away from. The ones who don't realise that all sins are forgivabale through grace by faith in Christ have not yet been saved. I'm not sure about whether listening to certain forms of music is sinful (probably is due to Satanic themes in some songs and foul language/ sexual themes) but one needs to realise that all sins are forgivable.

Youre right thank you :h: :hugs:

Original post by DCFCfan4eva
Rubbish. I'm a huge rock and metal fan and I'm going into ministry...

I actaully wrote an article about this, about how should Christians interact with secular music, check it o utif you wany

http://www.dave-barlow.com/how-should-christians-live-in-a-music-obsessed-world/

ah cool! I'll check it out :smile:
I'm sure most of you have heard of this issue before but to anyone who hasn't, there is a w'll known news story around a terminally ill child here in the UK called Charlie Gard and his parents have been seeking to access potentially life saving treatment in the US for his mitochondrial depletion syndrome. The UK courts have blocked them from being able to go to the US to access this treatment for their son and a few days ago the EU courts have as well. However, today, two of the world's most influential people, the Pope and the President of the United States, have offered to help him get the treatment he needs, which is not available in the UK. Perhaps this could be a turning point and could allow Charlie's life to be saved.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3248426/charlie-gard-mitochondrial-depletion-syndrome-european-court-ruling-death-latest/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40479074
http://www.charliesfight.org

Please pray for him so that he may be able to get this potentially life saving treatment in the US. As Christians, we should uphold the sanctity of life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Mark 2:15-17 : "And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The reason we need Jesus is because we are not righteous. We are sinners and he is the one who can save us from sin. Jesus met and ate with sinners and talked to those at the lowest level of society because he is here for all those who have faith in him, regardless of who we are.

'many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus'

I love that verse, it really makes me smile.

We can all be guilty of being 'pious' and look to be only with those of some social standing or who are popular with an in crowd, Jesus does the opposite.

I love how Jesus chose those who were seen to be less in society's eyes and those who sold drink to the public :beer: .
Original post by Trapz99
I'm sure most of you have heard of this issue before but to anyone who hasn't, there is a w'll known news story around a terminally ill child here in the UK called Charlie Gard and his parents have been seeking to access potentially life saving treatment in the US for his mitochondrial depletion syndrome. The UK courts have blocked them from being able to go to the US to access this treatment for their son and a few days ago the EU courts have as well. However, today, two of the world's most influential people, the Pope and the President of the United States, have offered to help him get the treatment he needs, which is not available in the UK. Perhaps this could be a turning point and could allow Charlie's life to be saved.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3248426/charlie-gard-mitochondrial-depletion-syndrome-european-court-ruling-death-latest/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40479074
http://www.charliesfight.org

Please pray for him so that he may be able to get this potentially life saving treatment in the US. As Christians, we should uphold the sanctity of life.

Apparently there is movement by the Vatican to take care of him in one of it's hospitals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending