Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im 20 and 22 stone but BMI is 43 but im big boned aswell and exactly 6ft and have been exercising for 2-3months but i cant seem to notice any difference only i can jog for longer periods now lol at first it was 20 minutes a day jogging but could only jog for 2-3 minuts at a time before getting knackered now i can last 10-15 minutes and have been doing 1hr a day/7 days a week(jogging on the spot.crunches ect) and about a diet im have a tuna barm for breakfast and another one for lunch and maybe a apple is that okay?

ReputationRep:
    You are not eating enough, you've gone into starvation mode. Eat a healthy balanced diet with a calorific value of about 1300-1500 cals which will create a great enough calorie deficit to lose weight at a regular level. Also, now you've increased your base fitness you need to start doing more high energy exercise - just jogging won't do it. Try throwing in other things like HIIT (google it!), swimming, circuits classes etc.. Things which are a bit more for speed but less for endurance - this high energy burst exercise is much better at reducing weight. You may also want to start working on weights which will build up your strength.

Best of luck - it's not an easy route but you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Best kind of diet to lose weight is to eat 3/4 smallish meals a day but try and cut down on carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugary things after lunch as otherwise you wont burn them off in the evening and they will be stored as fat. Eat plenty of veg, salad and lean protein like chicken and fish to fill you up and snack on apples and berries as these are fairly low sugar. I was 12 stone and lost a stone in 4 weeks just by cutting carbs out of my lunch and dinner.
    If you need any support or motivation just give me a shout!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You are not eating enough, you've gone into starvation mode. Eat a healthy balanced diet with a calorific value of about 1300-1500 cals which will create a great enough calorie deficit to lose weight at a regular level.
    Do you mean you stop losing weight if you're starving? Because that's wrong... 1300-1500 calories is too low for him, at 22 stone and 6' 0" he should be eating around 2800kcal (that includes a 500kcal deficit, this is at little or no exercise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nopenopenope)
    Do you mean you stop losing weight if you're starving? Because that's wrong... 1300-1500 calories is too low for him, at 22 stone and 6' 0" he should be eating around 2800kcal (that includes a 500kcal deficit).

Sorry im new to all this diet stuff i thought to lost weight consisted of not eating junk and exercing so what im doing now wont make me lose weight? just cant afford gym fees right now :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GTA-V-FAN1)
    Sorry im new to all this diet stuff i thought to lost weight consisted of not eating junk and exercing so what im doing now wont make me lose weight? just cant afford gym fees right now :/
    not eating junk and exercise are both essential to losing weight, however you still need to eat plenty of healthy food. If you are not eating enough (a couple of tuna barms and an apple a day is nowhere near enough for anyone) your body will go into starvation mode where it will stop burning fat because it thinks it needs to store it as it doesn't know when it is going to get its next supply of food. It is complicated but hope this simplifies it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gravesy)
    not eating junk and exercise are both essential to losing weight, however you still need to eat plenty of healthy food. If you are not eating enough (a couple of tuna barms and an apple a day is nowhere near enough for anyone) your body will go into starvation mode where it will stop burning fat because it thinks it needs to store it as it doesn't know when it is going to get its next supply of food. It is complicated but hope this simplifies it a bit.
    Thanks now i understand.

now the question is what types of food is good for diets? thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nopenopenope)
    Do you mean you stop losing weight if you're starving? Because that's wrong... 1300-1500 calories is too low for him, at 22 stone and 6' 0" he should be eating around 2800kcal (that includes a 500kcal deficit, this is at little or no exercise).
    Yeah, sorry - I completely blanked on his height/weight/sex by the looks of it! Still, 2800 calories is a heck of a lot - gotta get that down to more normal levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks now i understand.

now the question is what types of food is good for diets? thx
    lots of non-fatty proteins for example eggs, chicken, fish etc
    lots of veg and salad as it is fairly low calorie but helps to fill you up and give you vits and minerals
    Apples and berries are the best fruit to snack on as they are fairly low sugar and most other fruit is high in sugar

don't eat too many carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes etc past lunch time as by the time it is digested you are going to bed so you don't use this energy up and it is stored as fat. It's still okay to eat cereal and bread and stuff for breakfast as long as its wholegrain or brown.

Hope this gives you a rough guide, I'm not a nutritionist or anything but have founds this works best for me and quite a few other people I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Yeah, sorry - I completely blanked on his height/weight/sex by the looks of it! Still, 2800 calories is a heck of a lot - gotta get that down to more normal levels.
    Yeah hopefully it won't be long down the road!

ReputationRep:
    Best kind of diet to lose weight is to eat 3/4 smallish meals a day but try and cut down on carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugary things after lunch as otherwise you wont burn them off in the evening and they will be stored as fat. Eat plenty of veg, salad and lean protein like chicken and fish to fill you up and snack on apples and berries as these are fairly low sugar. I was 12 stone and lost a stone in 4 weeks just by cutting carbs out of my lunch and dinner.
    If you need any support or motivation just give me a shout!
    Wow, u really lost that in four weeks? Wat sorts of carb-free meals did u have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piddym7)
    Wow, u really lost that in four weeks? Wat sorts of carb-free meals did u have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I normally have either a salad (tuna, ham, egg, chicken or similar) or a bowl of chunky soup for lunch (without bread obviously), then normally chicken, turkey or fish in some kind of sauce with just a double portion of vegetables to make up for the lack of potatoes. I have blueberries when I want a snack.

I found I lost so much because I wasn't hungry so wasn't snacking all through the day. I have since found out that higher protein levels in your diet mean more hormones are released to tell your brain that you are fuller.

ReputationRep:
    I normally have either a salad (tuna, ham, egg, chicken or similar) or a bowl of chunky soup for lunch (without bread obviously), then normally chicken, turkey or fish in some kind of sauce with just a double portion of vegetables to make up for the lack of potatoes. I have blueberries when I want a snack.

I found I lost so much because I wasn't hungry so wasn't snacking all through the day. I have since found out that higher protein levels in your diet mean more hormones are released to tell your brain that you are fuller.
    thx for all the help guys just one more thing i usually split the exersice throughout the day so i do 30 minutes in the morning and at lunch time so do i spread the calories recommended the same

ReputationRep:
    thx for all the help guys just one more thing i usually split the exersice throughout the day so i do 30 minutes in the morning and at lunch time so do i spread the calories recommended the same
    just eat 3 meals a day, have a decent breakfast, lunch and dinner and then maybe a snack at some point during the day

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.