The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Biology - Dissection?

I will be starting AS Level Biology in September; I think the exam board is WJEC. Is dissection a part of the AS/A Level Biology syllabus? If so, is it necessary to partake in the dissection? I am a vegetarian and would be uncomfortable dissecting an animal or part of an animal.
Reply 1
I don't do your exam board, but I don't think dissections are decided by the exam board. Your school will usually make the decision as to whether you will carry out dissections. In any case it will probably be completely your decision. If your school does do them, and you feel uneasy or uncomfortable with it, make your teacher aware and they will probably be able to remove you from the class or give you different tasks to complete.

My school never offered dissections, but I completed them at home myself. I know you would feel uncomfortable, but the knowledge you gain from dissections is invaluable, I learnt much more than I ever did from a textbook. But I don't think your teachers would force it upon you, if you don't want to do it, just say. Given that you are a vegetarian I'd doubt they'd make you partake.
Reply 2
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I don't do your exam board, but I don't think dissections are decided by the exam board. Your school will usually make the decision as to whether you will carry out dissections. In any case it will probably be completely your decision. If your school does do them, and you feel uneasy or uncomfortable with it, make your teacher aware and they will probably be able to remove you from the class or give you different tasks to complete.

My school never offered dissections, but I completed them at home myself. I know you would feel uncomfortable, but the knowledge you gain from dissections is invaluable, I learnt much more than I ever did from a textbook. But I don't think your teachers would force it upon you, if you don't want to do it, just say. Given that you are a vegetarian I'd doubt they'd make you partake.

Thank you for the detailed response. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by la95
Thank you for the detailed response. :biggrin:

No problem. Ask me if you need any more help, related to dissections or otherwise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending