The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't even like Doctor Who, I wonder if I am the only one?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
He was prepared to do it in his second episode, when he was just seconds away from murdering the very last star whale. Tennant on the other hand is a pussy who would never commit genocide but he would certainly cry about it in meladramatic style for three episodes and then realise he could save the day with love and/or a reset button.

I love how we're using willingness to engage in genocide as a positive personality trait

Anyway, what I felt about Eleven was that whilst he was certainly quirkier and more alien, he wasn't any less saddened or torn by his actions than the other two. He just had a very different way of dealing with them. And whilst he was kooky a lot of the time, when he finally did have those dark moments, it made them feel 100x darker than they would have been if he was dark all the time or sad all the time. It's all my own interpretation of the character of course and maybe not everyone sees it, but I see Eleven as being a dark man afraid to face the truth, so he puts on a happy face to hide it from himself.

"He doesn't like endings"
Oh i'm not saying the character was not dark at times but he was never able to express the all consuming rage, even in the first Dalek episode with him. With Ten the anger was there.even if he was soppy.

Don't all Tories want to rule the universe and kill Daleks (though actually i'd go back in time, have spaceship Jenna hack the base code and the bring the Daleks under my command).
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
There's no guarantee that he will be darker but i do think he has it in him, as much as i grew to love Smith for being so weird he was never able to come across as a man that could commit genocide like Ecclestone or Tennant.

I love her but that's probably because most companions have been a bit rubbish, although that may be because temporal paradoxes really turn me on and the snowmen was a brilliant episode.
True, I suppose we just have to see how he develops the role, I think he has the potential to be a fantastic doctor.

I don't think anyone could top Billie for me, she was just the first companion for me and that episode with 'this is the story of how I died' just had me hooked from then on, I think my expectations are too high but true, I thought Catherine Tate and Freema were particularly awful, Karen revitalised the role but I don't know what it is about Jenna, just seems too rigid for me.

(Original post by Jarred)
He was prepared to do it in his second episode, when he was just seconds away from murdering the very last star whale. Tennant on the other hand is a pussy who would never commit genocide but he would certainly cry about it in meladramatic style for three episodes and then realise he could save the day with love and/or a reset button.

I love how we're using willingness to engage in genocide as a positive personality trait

Anyway, what I felt about Eleven was that whilst he was certainly quirkier and more alien, he wasn't any less saddened or torn by his actions than the other two. He just had a very different way of dealing with them. And whilst he was kooky a lot of the time, when he finally did have those dark moments, it made them feel 100x darker than they would have been if he was dark all the time or sad all the time. It's all my own interpretation of the character of course and maybe not everyone sees it, but I see Eleven as being a dark man afraid to face the truth, so he puts on a happy face to hide it from himself.

"He doesn't like endings"
Eccleston was just so badass, when it comes to genocide, he was the one you wanted as your Doctor

With the bit about Smith's darkness, that's exactly how I'd put it, almost like an alter ego, from his wacky regular self to the dark, somber persona he had, it made the more serious episodes a lot more wothwhile to watch. Personally though I think Tennant did the dark stuff the best, such as the episode when Rose is sent to an another dimension (I mentioned it above, I forget what it's called) I thought he did it perfectly. I think each Doctor has something they're great and something unique they bring to the role, it'll be interesting to see how Capaldi does it.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh i'm not saying the character was not dark at times but he was never able to express the all consuming rage, even in the first Dalek episode with him. With Ten the anger was there.even if he was soppy.

Don't all Tories want to rule the universe and kill Daleks (though actually i'd go back in time, have spaceship Jenna hack the base code and the bring the Daleks under my command).
Why on Earth would they want to kill their only party members?
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Popping in to say that if the new companion is an attractive Caucasian 20 something hetero woman I will probably stop watching.
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nice to see Dr Who continuing a bout of fairly boring choices. Tall, lanky, dark haired Doctors. I wanted to see a female doctor, but hey ho.
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One thing I never worked out in Who - what was the thing with the Doctor being killed by the astronaut at the lake in Texas or whatever?

(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
Nice to see Dr Who continuing a bout of fairly boring choices. Tall, lanky, dark haired Doctors. I wanted to see a female doctor, but hey ho.
:ditto:

I wanted Olivia Coleman to be given the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I don't even like Doctor Who, I wonder if I am the only one?
I don't dislike it, but I am merely extremely indifferent towards it :indiff: That said, I did watch about one series of Tennant due to being forced by my family and I actually quite enjoyed it.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Superunknown17)
Eccleston was just so badass, when it comes to genocide, he was the one you wanted as your Doctor

With the bit about Smith's darkness, that's exactly how I'd put it, almost like an alter ego, from his wacky regular self to the dark, somber persona he had, it made the more serious episodes a lot more wothwhile to watch. Personally though I think Tennant did the dark stuff the best, such as the episode when Rose is sent to an another dimension (I mentioned it above, I forget what it's called) I thought he did it perfectly. I think each Doctor has something they're great and something unique they bring to the role, it'll be interesting to see how Capaldi does it.
Yeah I did like Eccleston, he's a very good actor. And I think his Doctor would have been interesting had we been given more of a chance to see him in action.

As for Ten, meh, I'm not the biggest fan. He did have some excellent dark moments though, particularly when he went mad with power in The Waters of Mars. But too much of the time he acted like a mopey 14 year old teenage girl. Not the fault of Tennant ho acts very well, but rather the way in which RTD chose to write the character. Still, as you say they all have their special something and are all amazing in their own little ways.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mazzini)
One thing I never worked out in Who - what was the thing with the Doctor being killed by the astronaut at the lake in Texas or whatever?

I wanted Olivia Coleman to be given the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was river song, brainwashed by madam kovarian, who was working with the silence, trying to kill the doctor to avoid the prophecy coming true - that on the fields of trenzalore, where no man can speak falsely, a question will be asked, a question that must never be answered, and that silence must fall when the question was asked.

I thought that meant that the silence would fall when the question was asked, but actually no - that was resolved in the season finale in may - the silence falling is not the religious order the silence, but rather the end of the universe given how much of the universe has been affected by the doctor's actions, how many worlds he has saved.

Basically the attempt to kill the doctor was an attempt to change the future and so save time itself, by preventing the doctor from facing the great intelligence at his tomb on trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
That was river song, brainwashed by madam kovarian, who was working with the silence, trying to kill the doctor to avoid the prophecy coming true - that on the fields of trenzalore, where no man can speak falsely, a question will be asked, a question that must never be answered, and that silence must fall when the question was asked.

I thought that meant that the silence would fall when the question was asked, but actually no - that was resolved in the season finale in may - the silence falling is not the religious order the silence, but rather the end of the universe given how much of the universe has been affected by the doctor's actions, how many worlds he has saved.

Basically the attempt to kill the doctor was an attempt to change the future and so save time itself, by preventing the doctor from facing the great intelligence at his tomb on trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile
And that is the problem with SM's Doctor Who, its become a convoluted pile of puzzles, still being deciphered now. Should simplify it a bit more, like it was in Tennant/Ecclestone's time.
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I seee! This makes so much more sense now

It's got too complicated recently :shakecane: :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd have to stop watching if it was a woman or a teen ect.. Dr Who has always been a man and should continue to be.

If they want to pander to the equality brigade they can make him black.
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd have to stop watching if it was a woman or a teen ect.. Dr Who has always been a man and should continue to be.

'The equality brigade'? You bloody chauvinistic pig. I meant for the sake of variety.

James Bond had always been brunette until Daniel Craig, trends are meant to be broken.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'The equality brigade'? You bloody chauvinistic pig. I meant for the sake of variety.

James Bond had always been brunette until Daniel Craig, trends are meant to be broken.
There's a big difference between changing hair and changing the gender, i have absolutely no problem with women actresses.
Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it gave Jenna Louise Coleman more screen time, I'd happily agree to a female doctor.

I don't see it as gender inequality that they always pick men though; it's a male character FFS.

It was also pretty ironic that many of my female friends who would disagree with the above, also were the ones who said on Facebook/Twitter said Capaldi was 'too old' for the role :/
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

:facepalm:

It's not the 'equality brigade' - it's just a change of gender would make it more interesting. The last three doctors have all been young(ish), dark-haired and slim.

PRSOM :sad:

(Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
I don't see it as gender inequality that they always pick men though; it's a male character FFS.
Neither do I - it's just a female doctor would make things more interesting (different personality etc).
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good to see Rakas is spewing out more nonsense. He'd fit right it with the current Tory mould, what with all these gaffs.
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
X
I just had a lightbulb moment, did you change your username from Alofleicester?
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree that it shouldn't be a woman. I associate James Bond and Sherlock Holmes as being male, and I do the same with the Doctor. He's a dude, and it's just how I've always seen his character, it's his identity. I see him as a man who can change his face, his hair, his skin colour or whatever but not his gender. It's not born out of sexism as some people have suggested to me in the past (My girlfriend who is a feminist would have dumped me a long time ago if that were the case! ), I love strong female characters, I just don't think the Doctor is one.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.75%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (346)
37.24%
No, I am unable to (234)
25.19%
No, I chose not to (251)
27.02%