The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jenkinsear)
Isn't that in itself a form of segregation and prejudice? For the record I didn't say it was simply anti-white. I would suggest it's anti everyone who isn't Muslim from some sections of the community. Whilst visiting I've had 4 separate occasions where I've been abused, most of it alleging I'm a "slut" for dressing fairly normally or telling me I'm a "mongrel" (I'm mixed race). Whiteness isn't an issue there, it just seems like general xenophobia.

Is it nonsense though? I'm going to be bluntly honest, I'm pretty scared of the place. That isn't because the media told me to be, it's because of my experiences there. My friends living there do not plan to be living there long term (except the ones in Canary Wharf, which is basically an enclave).

Isn't the local choice Luftar's band of criminals/thugs or a very complacent and disorganised labour party? No viable alternatives exist aside from a handful of tory councillors in the wealthier areas.
Really sorry to hear that I was just saying my experience, which is completely different to that. I think there probably are a whole different set of issues for, in particular, young Muslim women who don't hold traditional values - but being white I'm lucky enough not to experience that. I don't know what it's like for mixed-race people in similar situations but that does sound pretty vile.

Labour used to be complacent but they're definitely not know, having been through Galloway/Respect and now Lutfur Rahman. Problem with them is that the national party has had them in practically permanent special measures and keeps make pretty disastrous decisions for them, the local activists are pretty decent but they have no chance of being allowed to respond to local issues. Lutfur's administration hasn't been that bad to me really - he's no angel, that's for sure, but he's pretty in touch with local people and is actually willing to fight for them too. The Tories as you said actually have more presence than you'd think, it's not exclusively in the Canary Wharf areas, and we had a pretty active Green campaign too. Certainly more engaged than loads of other authorities which are going to go to one party every time without fail.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Going to watch that after MIC.
Mic? It's really interesting, and will probably be ignored by the political elite.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Mic? It's really interesting, and will probably be ignored by the political elite.
Well inequality in itself may be undesirable but it's not a bad thing per say. If real wages for the poor rise 5% then it does not really matter if real wages for the CEO rise 20%.

The problem today is opportunity (social mobility) which requires changes in attitude (~70% of South Koreans have private tutors) and education. The second problem is low wage growth though while i have ideas, they are not investigated enough for me to have any idea whether they are feasible.
username1096803
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://keyconceptsdiscussedinpolitic...logspot.co.uk/
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well inequality in itself may be undesirable but it's not a bad thing per say. If real wages for the poor rise 5% then it does not really matter if real wages for the CEO rise 20%.

The problem today is opportunity (social mobility) which requires changes in attitude (~70% of South Koreans have private tutors) and education. The second problem is low wage growth though while i have ideas, they are not investigated enough for me to have any idea whether they are feasible.
no but large inequality gaps are problems.
and yes social mobility is too low for a right wing contry to work. It is tempting for me to say a state wage for everyone would be best.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes but Labour and the Greens are infested with them.
There's nothing wrong with that, I personally believe that the Leader of my party should be (relatively) moderate. I've delegated out my radicalism.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
no but large inequality gaps are problems.
and yes social mobility is too low for a right wing contry to work. It is tempting for me to say a state wage for everyone would be best.
Any justification for that statement? Social mobility may be low compared to our peers but its far from zero. The UK is still a predominantly middle class country.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any justification for that statement? Social mobility may be low compared to our peers but its far from zero. The UK is still a predominantly middle class country.
Well people born to the poorest people will live 7 years less and will rarely get out of poverty even if they are smarter then their rich peers.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well people born to the poorest people will live 7 years less and will rarely get out of poverty even if they are smarter then their rich peers.
Define rare.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Latest ICM has a 1% Labour lead (Ashcroft keeps the Tories ahead).

Need i remind you all that from Q4 average to election day, the government reduced the Tory lead by 7% running upto the last election.

For this reason (as you'll see in my sig), i'm increasingly confident of a Tory minority on election day.
Where do the SNP fit in incidentally?

Do you think they have a good chance of becoming the third party? Would they work with Labour and/or the Lib Dems do you think?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Define rare.
6% chance at best which is supposedly optimistic.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Where do the SNP fit in incidentally?

Do you think they have a good chance of becoming the third party? Would they work with Labour and/or the Lib Dems do you think?
I think beating 30% and beating Labour is odds on so they should have a similar number of seats to the Libs.

Yes, they offered in 2010 and the SNP are basically nationalistic 05 Lib Dems. I'm not sure if Miliband would work with either though.

My bet would be Tory minority, Cameron and Milipede and Clegg go. Second election in the spring of 2016.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My bet would be Tory minority, Cameron and Milipede and Clegg go. Second election in the spring of 2016.
And second indy ref Autumn 2016
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just spoke with my sister, who lives in the Netherlands, and there's a storm brewing over there. Creepy stuff going on - a real rise in criminals dressing up as officials and knocking on doors, to inflict violence on unsuspecting people and even commit murder. Police warnings of not opening your door if you don't expect anyone. People dressing as clowns and attacking people on the streets (they're called "terror clowns").

On top of that, there's the whole to-do regarding the St. Nicholas celebrations, which will be starting on the 15th. Lots of racial tension, threats, the police planning on dressing up for the parades and being an armed presence...

Not really a nice place to be right now. If I compare where I live, where I can be outside even at night without any fear, to where my sister lives, I feel grateful for myself but sad and worried about my family. My sister says it's like people have completely lost the plot.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Just spoke with my sister, who lives in the Netherlands, and there's a storm brewing over there. Creepy stuff going on - a real rise in criminals dressing up as officials and knocking on doors, to inflict violence on unsuspecting people and even commit murder. Police warnings of not opening your door if you don't expect anyone. People dressing as clowns and attacking people on the streets (they're called "terror clowns").

On top of that, there's the whole to-do regarding the St. Nicholas celebrations, which will be starting on the 15th. Lots of racial tension, threats, the police planning on dressing up for the parades and being an armed presence...

Not really a nice place to be right now. If I compare where I live, where I can be outside even at night without any fear, to where my sister lives, I feel grateful for myself but sad and worried about my family. My sister says it's like people have completely lost the plot.
That's the stuff of nightmares
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
And second indy ref Autumn 2016
Can't see one in 2016 since i don't think they'll beat the 45% in 2011. It's very possible that an EU referendum could force one though if England drags Scotland out.
Ruitker
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's the stuff of nightmares
I'm not sure what is worse; your communist utopia or a clown knocking on my door with a knife ready to murder me. You can escape a murderer by running away, but it'll be more difficult to escape your UKSSR
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruitker)
I'm not sure what is worse; your communist utopia or a clown knocking on my door with a knife ready to murder me. You can escape a murderer by running away, but it'll be more difficult to escape your UKSSR
No!!! When I'm PM I'll let you move to the Netherlands if you want:yep:
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going to watch that after MIC.
MIC?

I never had you down as a MIC fan.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
MIC?

I never had you down as a MIC fan.
Watching rich people be prats, sure.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (114)
59.07%
No (79)
40.93%

Watched Threads