The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Her policy to allow people to join terrorist groups is one of the most infuriating and emotive policies I've heard in years.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Her policy to allow people to join terrorist groups is one of the most infuriating and emotive policies I've heard in years.
I agree with her though, allow them to go join and then we can legally kill the morons as they're committing a terrorist act. Simples.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Bennett's car crash interview did not do much to boost my very low opinion of the Greens. It was traumatic to watch her squirm her way through this embarrassingly, bad interview.
Did you see the Green party activist they had on? Quite liked him and his sustainable lifestyle at first...but then he went on to say that he actually set a target of never earning more than half of the national average wage, purely for the sake of being poorer than he could be. What an absolute prick.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
I agree with her though, allow them to go join and then we can legally kill the morons as they're committing a terrorist act. Simples.
Ha.. good idea.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Did you see the Green party activist they had on? Quite liked him and his sustainable lifestyle at first...but then he went on to say that he actually set a target of never earning more than half of the national average wage, purely for the sake of being poorer than he could be. What an absolute prick.
To be fair i think his point was that it's the only way he could get the time to live his lifestyle.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be fair i think his point was that it's the only way he could get the time to live his lifestyle.
He was quite specific that he wanted to earn no more than half the average wage, not simply to find work which allowed him to live his lifestyle. There's nothing inherent to living an environmentally friendly lifestyle that means you have to earn below a certain amount of money. Seems to me he actually enjoyed the idea of being poorer than was really necessary, presumably for the smugness of being on the side of the poor.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He was quite specific that he wanted to earn no more than half the average wage, not simply to find work which allowed him to live his lifestyle. There's nothing inherent to living an environmentally friendly lifestyle that means you have to earn below a certain amount of money. Seems to me he actually enjoyed the idea of being poorer than was really necessary, presumably for the smugness of being on the side of the poor.
Fair enough. Indeed, you'd have thought that a decent wage would allow him to become even more self sufficient.

Unless he's from a well to do family (he did say he owned the home).
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did not but he personifies what is wrong about Green policy. To the Green party a man like his should be applauded whereas I think he should be criticized. With their citizen's income idea he will need to work even fewer hours to maintain his lifestyle.

I am unsure of his income but if it equates to less than the living wage for the average number of work hours every year then the argument about the minimum wage not being enough falls apart. It seem the Greens are happy to use different arguments depending on the situation.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a few notes for Tory progress in recent months..

January - 6 polls with lead, 8 ties (possibly more to come)
December - 3 polls with lead, 7 ties
November - 6 polls with lead, 3 ties

That's not a majority of polls and i go by ICM which has them a little behind but it's a good indicator of the pendulum swinging when companies using different methods and samples are saying the same thing (namely that the Tories are making progress).

Also worth remembering that the Tory vote was holding near it's election result until the 2012 budget.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a few notes for Tory progress in recent months..

January - 6 polls with lead, 8 ties (possibly more to come)
December - 3 polls with lead, 7 ties
November - 6 polls with lead, 3 ties

That's not a majority of polls and i go by ICM which has them a little behind but it's a good indicator of the pendulum swinging when companies using different methods and samples are saying the same thing (namely that the Tories are making progress).

Also worth remembering that the Tory vote was holding near it's election result until the 2012 budget.
With hindsight it was rather fortunate for the Tories that that particular disaster of a budget wasn't nearer election time. Things might have looked far less rosy if that'd happened last year.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
With hindsight it was rather fortunate for the Tories that that particular disaster of a budget wasn't nearer election time. Things might have looked far less rosy if that'd happened last year.
True. But its worth looking at how Labour have weakened since then too. In 2012 ICM gave them a 39% average, in 2014 I think it was 34%.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True. But its worth looking at how Labour have weakened since then too. In 2012 ICM gave them a 39% average, in 2014 I think it was 34%.
And it may well be lower on the day, what with momentum against them and the pesky "shy Tory" factor". The Greens seem to have a lot to do with it - taking votes not just directly from Labour, but those that don't show up on the polls, the votes from 2010's non-voters, 13-17 year olds and Lib Dem supporters that looked to be heading to Labour back in the middle of this Parliament. If Green support dropped back to 2010 levels, Labour would probably still have a comfy lead.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So how's everyone enjoying the snow?
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
I like the snow . I like watching the cats play around in it, and up on the hill next to our house we have robins, blue tits, jackdaws, magpies, a recent arrival of a family of song thrushes, and a couple of quite noisy little black-and-whitish birdies that I have yet to identify. I thought that they were pied wagtails, but they look slightly different. Anyway, they're all hopping about in the snow, and come up to our attic window for food .
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What snow would that be?
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hate snow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not much here, we had some overnight but the rain has got rid of it. I don't like it much anyway.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just seen yet another documentary about Churchill and I'm once again completely amazed and impressed. I wish today's politicians were at least a bit more like him and the culture like during the war and post-war era.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Snow? What is this thing you speak of?

Yup, there isn't any here
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I've just seen yet another documentary about Churchill and I'm once again completely amazed and impressed. I wish today's politicians were at least a bit more like him and the culture like during the war and post-war era.
I may be in the minority here but I think Churchill has his achievements overplayed. He is regularly voted a great wartime Prime Minister but during his second term he didn't really do much apart from smoke and drink. Even during the war he only issued speeches to unite a nation. Most of the war planning, and organisation was all done by women, and the military. I think any Prime Minister serving during the same time as Churchill under the same conditions would be as popular. In other words, Churchill's popularity does not come from his achievements, but from the events happening at the time of his term. Anything British from WWII is seen as being popular.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (169)
35.5%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.53%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.99%