The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I may be in the minority here but I think Churchill has his achievements overplayed. He is regularly voted a great wartime Prime Minister but during his second term he didn't really do much apart from smoke and drink. Even during the war he only issued speeches to unite a nation. Most of the war planning, and organisation was all done by women, and the military. I think any Prime Minister serving during the same time as Churchill under the same conditions would be as popular. In other words, Churchill's popularity does not come from his achievements, but from the events happening at the time of his term. Anything British from WWII is seen as being popular.
PRSOM Not only are Churchill's achievements very much over-hyped, him being much more an orator than a politician, he held some extremely unpleasant and racist views that are now just thrown under the carpet.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got some snow here but the outlook looks pretty dry from here on (standard for northerly flows away from the coast). Indeed pressure looks likely to build late next week.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
PRSOM Not only are Churchill's achievements very much over-hyped, him being much more an orator than a politician, he held some extremely unpleasant and racist views that are now just thrown under the carpet.
Cultural relativism makes your last point pretty meaningless, different time.

I'd tend to agree that he's over-hyped due to the war but actually he did some really good things domestically when with the Liberal Party.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
It snowed for like 5 mins this morning...

Also since being unceremoniously fired the other day, I feel like my life has no meaning... What gives a life meaning, it's clearly not money so it has to be the way you live it, right?

Also which country should I apply for job in, US: LA and NY, FR: Paris (likely lead to a bust), UAE: Dubai... Where else has fantastic quality of life with jobs!!!!
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Also which country should I apply for job in, US: LA and NY, FR: Paris (likely lead to a bust), UAE: Dubai... Where else has fantastic quality of life with jobs!!!!
Munich?
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Munich?
I do love Munich so that's an option

You a fan of Munich?
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do love Munich so that's an option

You a fan of Munich?
I am, yeah. It seems like a lovely place to live (and incredibly rich).
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
I am, yeah. It seems like a lovely place to live (and incredibly rich).
I should hope it would be a nice place to live, if you think about everything that goes on down there, it'd be hard not to enjoy living there

Are you planning to move there?

Personally I'd prefer LA over all others, LA is my second/third home and I know it like the back of my hand Also Hollywood
TeeEff
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It snowed for like 5 mins this morning...

Also since being unceremoniously fired the other day, I feel like my life has no meaning... What gives a life meaning, it's clearly not money so it has to be the way you live it, right?

I'd go work in LA out of that list Cali's a great place to live in.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should hope it would be a nice place to live, if you think about everything that goes on down there, it'd be hard not to enjoy living there

Are you planning to move there?
Who knows, it's kind of on the bucket list though.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Regarding watches, for those who say it doesn't matter once you spend more than £250 on one, my Tag Heuer would like to disagree.
I know this is an old post, but Tag Heuer are not a good example...
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some very good news coming out of Queensland today...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Some very good news coming out of Queensland today...
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Absolute destruction for the Liberal National Party as Labor sweep back into power. This, along with the decision to give Prince Philip a knighthood, means Abbott's leadership position is looking shaky, with Labor in a massive lead in the federal polls.
TeeEff
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
I know this is an old post, but Tag Heuer are not a good example...
Eh, the post you're referring to was made in a debate over whether it's worth paying a premium for a product. I'm not going to get into an argument over different watch manufacturers here, but the looks, the feel/quality and the automatic movement of my watch makes the price I paid for it worthwhile imo. Sure, there may be better watches out there, but it still beats a cheap Casio.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Absolute destruction for the Liberal National Party as Labor sweep back into power. This, along with the decision to give Prince Philip a knighthood, means Abbott's leadership position is looking shaky, with Labor in a massive lead in the federal polls.
Fair enough. Last poll I saw suggested 39-37.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Fair enough. Last poll I saw suggested 39-37.
It's 57-43 between the two main parties. It's a Galaxy poll, if that means anything to you.

Incidentally the ABC prediction for QLD even yesterday was an LNP win.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
It's 57-43 between the two main parties. It's a Galaxy poll, if that means anything to you.

Incidentally the ABC prediction for QLD even yesterday was an LNP win.
May have been national and AV makes it wacky anyway.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Eh, the post you're referring to was made in a debate over whether it's worth paying a premium for a product. I'm not going to get into an argument over different watch manufacturers here, but the looks, the feel/quality and the automatic movement of my watch makes the price I paid for it worthwhile imo. Sure, there may be better watches out there, but it still beats a cheap Casio.
It depends on the model, to be fair. Aquaracer resale is about £250-350, which sort of undermines the point your previous post was making. The movements in those sorts of Tag lines aren't made by Tag, and they cost a small fraction of what the watch does. If you're talking about the Carrera or Monaco ranges it's a different matter perhaps.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I may be in the minority here but I think Churchill has his achievements overplayed. He is regularly voted a great wartime Prime Minister but during his second term he didn't really do much apart from smoke and drink. Even during the war he only issued speeches to unite a nation. Most of the war planning, and organisation was all done by women, and the military. I think any Prime Minister serving during the same time as Churchill under the same conditions would be as popular. In other words, Churchill's popularity does not come from his achievements, but from the events happening at the time of his term. Anything British from WWII is seen as being popular.
I can not agree with you on this – there seems to be a lot more to his brilliance than that. I'm unable to judge his political career in terms of specific acts and their influence on the nation's well-being but considering his difficult childhood, impressive military service, accurate political foresight (he was able to predict Hitler's behaviour and see through Stalin, unlike Roosevelt), excellent decisions during his tenures as First Lord of the Admiralty that greatly contributed to the British victory, or involvement in field activities (I think he visited the beaches of Normandy like six days after D-Day and he would have come sooner but the King did not let him), I think he was quite an admirable person.

His contribution to boosting the morale of the British people during WWII was very important and the amount of energy it cost him is mind-blowing. The documentary said he was so busy that he only slept around four hours a day and when he had a heart attack, he kept it secret and ignored his doctor's recommendation to rest because he did not want the people to get distracted and lose confidence in their ability to win the war. People need leaders and he was incredibly good at being one!

Why did you emphasised the role of women in war planning and organisation? Sure, Churchill was not a military strategist but as far as I know, women worked largely in factories and I don't know a single female military officer famous for some achievement. In fact I know no female military officer at all…

Anyway, he remains a very respectable and inspirational person to me and his sheer dedication and strong will to achieve his goals despite some misfortunes are enough to grant him that status.

Compared to him, modern politicians are a disgusting joke.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%