The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
ThisIsn'tSpam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
I wonder is TSR would refuse to invite him in if he became real life Prime Minister?
Well, they did say that it was permanent.
username996695
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Btw on the main TSR House of Commons post (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1165453) the Commons Bar link takes you to the Mk7 thread, rather than this one, just saying in case you weren't aware.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
I wonder is TSR would refuse to invite him in if he became real life Prime Minister?
I think they'd probably have to if they wanted to survive his little eugenics system. I'd have to leave the Speakership and start a new life under the sea that's for sure.
ThisIsn'tSpam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
I think they'd probably have to if they wanted to survive his little eugenics system. I'd have to leave the Speakership and start a new life under the sea that's for sure.
Personally I would prefer the whole "escape to another dimension" plan, but life under sea wouldn't be too bad.

Plus he would probably just get a bill passed that would lift his ban, then hunt down those that imposed it in the first place.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello everyone. Just popped in for a cuppa.

I have had two debates over the last two days as to what the meal in the middle of the day should be called. Dinner it seems if you are from the north, lunch if you are from the south.

Does the bar menu make any distinction? Or define the middle of the day's meal?

(Those on some sort of weight loss/fitness programme for the next few months (well about a fortnight in all likelihood) may remember the concept of a meal in the middle of the day)
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Hello everyone. Just popped in for a cuppa.

I have had two debates over the last two days as to what the meal in the middle of the day should be called. Dinner it seems if you are from the north, lunch if you are from the south.

Does the bar menu make any distinction? Or define the middle of the day's meal?

(Those on some sort of weight loss/fitness programme for the next few months (well about a fortnight in all likelihood) may remember the concept of a meal in the middle of the day)
For as long as I'm Speaker, the bar menu does indeed make a distinction: the middle meal is lunch. The later meal is dinner. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Any other way is wrong and results in temporary suspension from the House. Though I must admit I usually do skip lunch, a nice slice of toast and a bowl of porridge will usually sustain me for more than long enough.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It goes Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner for most nowadays - Dinner is your main hot meal - not a specific time; the reason for the north/south divide is the way jobs were divided - in the north, you were primarily manufacturing and had a hot meal supplied at the noon break, while in the south it was primarily a cold cuts style midday meal (Lunch) and then the main hot meal in the evening.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A massive cause of disappointment is when someone says its teatime and then offers you some biscuits or a scone (scon), rather than pie (paaah).
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I quite enjoy some nice Indian tea registered in Ireland for tax purposes myself with a scone.

I'd like to say its fine English Tea but the box says its not.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have Breakfast and Dinner, that's it.

Lunch would be basic, like soup or something like that. Which we never have.

Wouldn't want to claim too much expenses now would we?
ThisIsn'tSpam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usually it's a case of:

Morning = Breakfast

Midday = Lunch

Evening = Dinner (main meal)

However, if the main meal occurs around midday and then I have something like a sandwich later on, Dinner replaces Lunch and the evening meal becomes Tea.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I eat at about 4pm I call it Tea.
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is never dinner in the middle of the day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I've never, ever heard anyone say anything different apart from online.
username996695
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely breakfast, lunch, dinner. Even if lunch is a hot meal, it's still lunch, dinner is always in the evening. And I've never personally eaten at 'teatime' anyway.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, dinner is used to refer to the main meal of the day, so if you have your main meal at lunch time then you can't call what you eat in the evening dinner. So dinner can be anytime. Depending on what you eat in the evening it is either supper of dinner. Supper for a light meal, dinner for a main meal. Tea is not what you would say in a formal context, but it can be used for any afternoon meal however large or small.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
No, dinner is used to refer to the main meal of the day, so if you have your main meal at lunch time then you can't call what you eat in the evening dinner. So dinner can be anytime. Depending on what you eat in the evening it is either supper of dinner. Supper for a light meal, dinner for a main meal. Tea is not what you would say in a formal context, but it can be used for any afternoon meal however large or small.
This is wrong. It is always lunch at, well, lunch time, and dinner in the evening. It shall always be thus!
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you all have Christmas lunch instead of Christmas dinner?
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Faland)
So you all have Christmas lunch instead of Christmas dinner?
I find I always end up eating a weird times on Christmas day. Christmas dinner usually ends up being around maybe around half 3/4pm, so technically it doesn't really fall into any of these classes. Traditionally it's called Christmas dinner anyway though, so this is what it's called.
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Breakfast
Dinner
Tea
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Breakfast
Dinner
Tea
This is totally wrong and must never be used.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise