What sort of tech. do I need to start up my own business? Watch

atastycrumpet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey,

for a while I've been contemplating setting up a clothing line. I've shown friends and family designs and they like them so far, the name is still in progress but even if it fails I'd rather fail and try than failed to have tried.

Here's where these bits come in, I am pretty tech savvy, I could teach myself stuff if I was shown the equipment and clued up.

What sort of stuff would I need to set up a clothing line and become successful?

How would I spread out my advertisement? Social media obviously, but beyond that?

Copyright? How much would I be looking at?

Printing? Where would I get prints?

Getting the designs onto t-shirts?

Setting up a domain and website?

Thanks so much in advance you'd really be a big help
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by atastycrumpet)
Hey,

for a while I've been contemplating setting up a clothing line. I've shown friends and family designs and they like them so far, the name is still in progress but even if it fails I'd rather fail and try than failed to have tried.

Here's where these bits come in, I am pretty tech savvy, I could teach myself stuff if I was shown the equipment and clued up.

What sort of stuff would I need to set up a clothing line and become successful?

How would I spread out my advertisement? Social media obviously, but beyond that?

Copyright? How much would I be looking at?

Printing? Where would I get prints?

Getting the designs onto t-shirts?

Setting up a domain and website?

Thanks so much in advance you'd really be a big help
Domain - ~£10/year. Hosting, let's say £5/month.

Printing/prints/getting designs onto t shirts I'd start by asking printing companies in your area (quick Google/Yellow Pages exercise) to see if it's most cost-efficient to have them do it. I print/embroid loads of clothing for students' union clubs and societies, and it's normally around £5/tshirt or £8/polo shirt, even cheaper if buying larger quantities. If you sold those for £15 a tshirt, you're talking a 200% profit margin, which is pretty decent given what little work you'll need to do elsewhere.

Copyright is essentially free and automatic under the Berne Convention. So long as you can prove that it is your own original work when/if someone tries to copy it, life is good.

Advertising, it depends on your market. If you're selling say physics tshirts, I'd start by contacting physics socieities in universities, as well as high schools/colleges/professional bodies/community groups. Social media is great, but getting high up in search rankings will help when someone's looking for a funny physics tshirt for their teacher and Google is the first port of call, so getting good sites to link to yours is key. You could pay for services like AdSense but depending upon what you want determines the cost.
_amyjane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Search engine optimisation - google 'SEO'. There are companies which charge an arm and a leg for it but tbh you can learn the main tricks yourself. Very important tho if u don't wanna pay for google advertising as there is no point in being online if nobody can find you! And as you already said - social media!! Run competitions to get people to share you on Facebook and Instagram. Hosting and domain name will be needed and then if youre tech savvy it would be cheaper to build your own site. i would recommend using wordpress for that and then you can install 'plugins' which handle alot of the SEO for you. I have no idea about printing etc but if you have questions about seo or social media I'm more than happy to *try* and help. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
atastycrumpet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks so much!

One last one...

Best programme to put my designs onto a template t-shirt?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads