Collection on eBay - Safe? Watch

Wiska
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone,

I've only ever used eBay to sell items once and it went very well. This time however I am moving house and thus want things to get sold/moved quicker so I am contemplating using the 'Collect' option on eBay when selling an item.

Is this safe? I have 3 PS3's for sale - does the customer still pay by PayPal or do they pay in cash when they arrive for the product at my house? Would you say it is safe conducting an eBay transaction at home? Do you welcome them inside or you have the products boxed, and just hand it to them upon receiving payment?

Anyone with any experience of buying/ selling using the Collection method - please post
Roubaix
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wiska)
I have 3 PS3's for sale - does the customer still pay by PayPal or do they pay in cash when they arrive for the product at my house?
If collected only accept cash. If you take PayPal then they collect they could potentially claim item never received and as you have no proof of postage... you get the idea.

Would you say it is safe conducting an eBay transaction at home?
It wouldn't be an option if it wasn't generally safe. But only you can decide if it's something you feel comfortable enough with or not.

I've sold quite a few things via collection only and also collected items from other people locally and never had a problem.

Do you welcome them inside or you have the products boxed, and just hand it to them upon receiving payment?
Depends on the item and you would normally arrange it via messages first. ie if it's something expensive/electrical they may wish to see it working, or confirm its condition.
Wiska
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roubaix)
If collected only accept cash. If you take PayPal then they collect they could potentially claim item never received and as you have no proof of postage... you get the idea.

It wouldn't be an option if it wasn't generally safe. But only you can decide if it's something you feel comfortable enough with or not.

I've sold quite a few things via collection only and also collected items from other people locally and never had a problem.

Depends on the item and you would normally arrange it via messages first. ie if it's something expensive/electrical they may wish to see it working, or confirm its condition.
Thank you very much for your reply,

In this instance then you pay nothing to Paypal, only to eBay right? I guess I could leave the PS3 connected and then have them try it and then complete the transaction.

Lastly, how much would you say these are worth? This is in order from the latest model to the oldest:

1. 12GB PS3 2 Months Old
2. 250GB PS3 (1 Year Old)
3. Original PS3 with 250GB Hard drive) (3 Years Old)
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done it recently.

Just make sure that you either get payment beforehand or they pay you cash before handing over the item.

It's probably not a great way of committing crime to be honest - the victim would see what you looked like, have an opportunity to plan ahead to have friends/family for backup, and they can be traced back through their eBay account.

I wouldn't worry, but take reasonable precautions as if you were selling something elsewhere
Wiska
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarkWhite)
I've done it recently.

Just make sure that you either get payment beforehand or they pay you cash before handing over the item.

It's probably not a great way of committing crime to be honest - the victim would see what you looked like, have an opportunity to plan ahead to have friends/family for backup, and they can be traced back through their eBay account.

I wouldn't worry, but take reasonable precautions as if you were selling something elsewhere
Thank you for your post!

How would I go about it? I feel uncomfortable asking for money, should I discuss this with the buyer through eBay before they come pick it up?

You're right I guess, I may be worrying too much. Btw, what would you say the 3 PS3's I listed above plus the latest Fifa would be worth altogether (All in great condition).
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wiska)
Thank you for your post!

How would I go about it? I feel uncomfortable asking for money, should I discuss this with the buyer through eBay before they come pick it up?

You're right I guess, I may be worrying too much. Btw, what would you say the 3 PS3's I listed above plus the latest Fifa would be worth altogether (All in great condition).
Sure, just say, "Would you like to pay online beforehand or in cash upon collection?", and then you'll know what the craic is. If you'd prefer for them not to pay in cash, then you could specify that PayPal/Credit/Debit online through eBay would be best

I literally have no idea. I don't know how much a PS3 is to buy brand new. Hardcore PC gamer unfortunately :p:
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got rid of stuff through freecycle before, and I'm yet to be murdered. Perhaps have a friend / housemate there when they come to collect it if you don't feel safe?
username980905
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Collection in person is generally fine.

I'd advise you to get the payment issues sorted before they turn up. Either pay through paypal (but as others have mentioned, it has it's downfalls) or explain you want the money up front.

If you are worried let friends/family know that you are selling something and they could keep an eye on you. If you feel really uncomfortable, keep a weapon nearby (but this is drastic and you'll likely never have to use it).
Coda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd probably do better advertising your things on Gumtree, rather than selling them on eBay and them taking a large cut.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads