The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What A levels has she got? Also bear in mind that physiotherapy is a hugely competitive course to get onto - though admittedly if they were saying that she's unsuitable there must be something else. Has she done any work experience?
Reply 2
I got rejected from both my choices (only applied to 2 as have to live at home). I called and they were helpful saying that I had the right qualifications but I needed to show I had more knowledge of the subject and need some physio work experience. She said that if I managed to get some experience before August + wrote them a letter with details (i.e. write to the uni direct not ucas) then I may get a place through clearing. The only problem is Ive tried every hospital in Leeds and loads of private places and no-one will let me do any work experience. I'm going to have to try in a different city maybe.
The botton line is the admissions tutor are looking for people that have done a lot of research into physio + have experience to basically show they're committed to doing it. I would advise her to call all of the unis aswell to get some feedback. I hope this helps your friend.
Reply 3
one of my best mates got rejected from all 6 unis for physiotheraphy aswell! She has work experience, A*s and A's at GCSE, AAAA at AS level, predicted AAAA and is SOOOO passionate about wanting to do the course, needless to say shes DEVISTATED, so is taking a year out and reapplying, some of the unis she applied to were really low down ones aswell. i just dont get it. She rang birmingham to ask why and they had the CHEEK to tell her that she didn't really want to do physio! she chucked a MENTAL.
Reply 4
I'm not surprised - I would have aswell!!! They don't realise how difficult it is to put everything they want in such a small space in the personal statement. I mean, you only get a few 100 words to say everything. I had to cut mine down loads. I had loads of stuff in it about what Id researched about physio but ended up taking a lot of it out as I was worried that they'd wonder why I was telling them what physio is when they already know! I understand that they have to be ruthless as they get more applications per place than any other course but it's vanoying when they don't even offer you an interview so you can put your point across.
Reply 5
I also have a very good friend who applied to 6 unis for physio and was rejected from all except kings. She had 8A*s at GCSE and AAAAB at AS. The only reason anyone could think of was that she's fairly shy and probably didnt stand out at the interviews. One of the nicest people ive ever met though, so it was quite bizarre..
Reply 6
well my friend didnt even get ANY interviews!!!!
Reply 7
Chris_
I also have a very good friend who applied to 6 unis for physio and was rejected from all except kings. She had 8A*s at GCSE and AAAAB at AS. The only reason anyone could think of was that she's fairly shy and probably didnt stand out at the interviews. One of the nicest people ive ever met though, so it was quite bizarre..

Hey! I'm going to university to do physiotherapy in sept, and ive got an offer from king's college (london) too which iv just accepted as my firm choice..is your mate definately goin 2 king's? If she is, tell her 2 post a msg to me! If there's ne1 else going 2 kings 2 do physiotherapy, let me know..i'd like 2 speak 2 sum ppl who are on my course! :smile:
Reply 8
hey i applied for physio
i got 1 rejection from southampton
3 offeres from wales college of med, plymouth and brostol
2 interviews in manch and birm but i withdrew the applications as i wasnt fussed about going there and was happy wit my offers

at GSCE I got 1a*, 5a's 2b's and 2c's
at AS i got AABB
and predicted AAA

i have a very odd combimation of alevels in all diferent areas (art,it,re,biol)
i wanted to show i was an al rounder etc etc but was vvvvvvv worried this would go against me.
i did 2 weeks work exo in 2 diff hospitals and 1 week in private practise
i also attended a physio conference in nottingham uni

i wish i could answer the questions of why people have beenr ejected but the admissions procedures are all so odd, and people i no who have also been rejected, well you couldnt compare us?

ive accpeted wales collge of medicnne as my first and plymouth as my insurace..
tjhose of u reapplying i really wish u luck for it!!!!!!!!cos to be honest i think thast what it is partly down to
Hey everyone, what a cool forum, a talk about physio. Well that's what I'll hopefully eventually end up becomming - however since I'm doing a separate double degree in Arts/Science - it's not very directed so I know I won't automatically become a physio as soon as I finish uni... so.... what I'm planning on doing is going about my degree as normal, but because my degree's so flexible (ie. you can choose whatever unit - or subject to you brits, I'm Aussie - you want to do, so long as it's psyc, sci or arts related, really - and I'm making sure every one I do is Phys or healthcare related) YOU CAN DO PHYSIO POST GRAD AT CERTAIN UNIS, JUST ASK AROUND, AND DEPENDING ON WHAT SUBJECTS YOU'VE ALREADY DONE FOR YOUR FIRST DEGREE, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE TO DO AN EXTRA 1/2 YEAR AT THE LEAST, OR 2 YEARS AT THE MOST, TO GET UR MASTERS OR WHATEVER IN PHYSIO.
K, I hope I've been helpful! Now I guess it's time for me to stop procrastinating and get studying for me next human phys exam, Cya xox
Reply 10
gem_haha
Hey! I'm going to university to do physiotherapy in sept, and ive got an offer from king's college (london) too which iv just accepted as my firm choice..is your mate definately goin 2 king's? If she is, tell her 2 post a msg to me! If there's ne1 else going 2 kings 2 do physiotherapy, let me know..i'd like 2 speak 2 sum ppl who are on my course! :smile:

I was speaking of last years applications, so she has already been at Kings for a year im afraid. Sorry for any confusion. :smile:
Im very good mates with some physios here at kings... if you want me to direct any questions their way?
Reply 12
dazmanultra
Im very good mates with some physios here at kings... if you want me to direct any questions their way?

Where are u living at the moment?coz im confused about which halls 2 apply to..thinking of great dover st. as 1st choice and stamford st. as 2nd..would u recommend these?I've heard social life's not as good in these 'apartments' but king's college hall (which is meant 2 be the best place 2 go in terms of social life) looks wayyy 2 far south!D'ya reckon i cud walk 2 guy's from stamford st? :confused:
Are your friends enjoying the physio course or finding it tough?! Also, if u cud ask them if they applyed 2 their local LEA for any loans/money or just applied for the NHS bursary?
sorry about all the questions, but u did offer!lol :redface:
Thank u :smile:
Well like you say KCH is much further south, however it's very easy to get to London Bridge on the train, it's two or three stops down. It's another expenditure every month though, roughly £30 IIRC for a monthly rail pass!

Stamford Street could be walking distance on a nice day, however it would be much easier to cycle. There's the RV1 bus that you can get though if the weather is bad. Dover Street is definitely the best halls if you want somewhere close to Guy's campus.

My friends seem to like the course... they do a lot more anatomy in the physio course than the medicine students do... they especially seem to like disection. :redface:

Different people apply for different things, but it's best to just apply for everything you can possibly get. :smile:
Reply 14
My best mate got 5 out of her 6 choices!!!! Only Nottingham rejected her after interview and she only decided to do physio in September when we came back to school!!!! kind of a rash decision but somehow she got 5 good offers!!! she had 6 A*s and 4 As, ABBC at AS but only accepted the A so didnt put the other grades on the UCAS form and then convinced her teachers to predict her AAB!!!!!!! she was in the process of organising work experience so said how she was going to do it but hadnt yet!! it seems a bit of an unfair admissions process if ppl better than her didnt even get any interviews but that is what its like across the borad isnt it, CORRUPT!
i plan 2 go 2 cardiff on weds they told me they would send me details in the post yet they still havent, they said it would be in the next week, 2 weeks ago. i have emailed them but have heard nothing back. are any of you planiing to go?have u heard anything?
thanks
Reply 16
Chocolate_Lover
i plan 2 go 2 cardiff on weds they told me they would send me details in the post yet they still havent, they said it would be in the next week, 2 weeks ago. i have emailed them but have heard nothing back. are any of you planiing to go?have u heard anything?
thanks

agghh i put cardiff as my firm choice..its old builidng s and everything but i love it!!!!!!!!!!!! i know 2 other ppl going there nxt yr too!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending