Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am looking to find international students who have finished medical school and were entitled to receive full GMC registration straight afterwards.
    How did you start your UK Career? Have you got a position as an FY2 doctor straight away and if so, how did you get on with your responsibilities?
    And for those who went from FY1 to FY2: is it such a big difference? For example if you have done general medicine during Fy1 and then you are thrown into Psychiatry during FY2, what has been expected from you as an FY2 which has not been expected of you as an FY1 doctor?
    Last but not least, anyone here who has ever applied directly to hospitals to secure a temporary FY 1 post which has not been advertised on NHS jobs or would that be a waste of time?
    Thanks for your help!!!

ReputationRep:
    It varies from specialty to specialty and also depends on where you work. For example where I work now FY1s in psychiatry are supernumerary and only work 9-5. FY2s are on the SHO rota, which involves days and nights on call. When on call out of hours you are on your own covering inpatients in 2 different hospitals, AE and seeing all patients brought by police on 136. We do not have registrars but consultant is there for phone advice. So there is quite a bif difference between what is expected of FY1 and FY2.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess it is better to get a bit of FY 1 experience under my belt before starting FY2.
    I have got one more question about the FY2 competencies. How do I make sure I will get them signed off, if the posts I am applying for are LAT or LAS. I guess with the LAT vacancies it might be fairly easy(?) but what if I had an LAS post for 3 months, does that mean I would not be able to get signed off? If the ad on nhs jobs states that this post does not have the deans approval for training, does that automatically mean, I will not get signed off?
    Anyone who used this route to get into the UK system?

ReputationRep:
    Hi annepmai - Im in a similar position to you now. I was wondering how you got on. Did you start with an LAS FY1 post? how did it go, id really appreciate any useful info

Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm in the same situation. I'm not sure what grade I should go for or if it's better for me to get a clinical attachment or honorary contract to get into the system. Any advise?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had LAS FY1 interviews?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2015

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.