Turn on thread page Beta

I'm going into my final year of uni and have been with my boyfriend since freshers. We're currently on long distance over the summer as he lives 5 hours away and we will only see each other twice this summer. I'm coping with it worse than I thought, but time has flown by pretty quickly. I have come to realise that this will be our last year together at uni and afterwards there is the possibility I might have to come home. I am going to do everything I can not to, because I want to stay in my university town after I graduate, maybe for a couple of years... will see what happens. But it is unknown what will happen. He's said he's interested in working abroad and going away for a while. We're very happy together and he says he's never loved anyone like this before but he never mentions me in his future. This makes me anxious and worried that he just sees this as temporary. Trouble is, I don't know this, because I'm too scared to ask.

Is it too early to bring the conversation up? I don't want to go another year falling even more in love with him and more attached then have to break off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going into my final year of uni and have been with my boyfriend since freshers. We're currently on long distance over the summer as he lives 5 hours away and we will only see each other twice this summer. I'm coping with it worse than I thought, but time has flown by pretty quickly. I have come to realise that this will be our last year together at uni and afterwards there is the possibility I might have to come home. I am going to do everything I can not to, because I want to stay in my university town after I graduate, maybe for a couple of years... will see what happens. But it is unknown what will happen. He's said he's interested in working abroad and going away for a while. We're very happy together and he says he's never loved anyone like this before but he never mentions me in his future. This makes me anxious and worried that he just sees this as temporary. Trouble is, I don't know this, because I'm too scared to ask.

Is it too early to bring the conversation up? I don't want to go another year falling even more in love with him and more attached then have to break off.
    Absolutely not too early too have the conversation! If you've been with him for so long then surely you can talk about how you are both feeling about the situation. Would make it a lot easier for both of you to know where you stand. If he says that he still wants to try keep you in his life after graduation, which it seems like he well, then you may just need to wait and see how it goes and how jobs work out for you 2 in the future. Could be a difficult one though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm in final year aswell, the girl I can see in my future will be moving away after graduation. I've had a lot of heartache before, but now I know I will be fine with it (she's taught me that). If I try to fall out of love for the superficial reason of time constraints or not seeing a future, am I not lying to myself?
    ENJOY the time you have with that person, be it a moment or a lifetime.
    If you are scared of protecting your heart, then you I personally don't think you trully love him back. AND don't be scared to ask.
    N.B I'm good at giving advice, but not good at following when given it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2013
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.