Counselling? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm going to see a school counsellor ASAP, but what I was wondering was if anyone on here has ever been to one? I never have before and I don't really know what to expect.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I'm going to see a school counsellor ASAP, but what I was wondering was if anyone on here has ever been to one? I never have before and I don't really know what to expect.
as i understand it they are annoyingly exceedingly ridiculously nice and understanding.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not a school counsellor, but a proper one. They can be good if you are prepared to put a bit into it.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
as i understand it they are annoyingly exceedingly ridiculously nice and understanding.
Don't know where you're from, in my area they're not!
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
Don't know where you're from, in my area they're not!
what, they laugh at you're problems?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the first one i saw was an absolute witch - she didnt belive a word i said...so once i was old enough not to go, i didnt ( i was under a court order to see one until i was 16 years old)

the second one i saw was lovely.

in our first session (with both) we just sat and talked about me, who i am, what im up to in life, what was the factors in deciding to come and seek councelling..basically they try and decide what type of person you are.

the second session is always much more helpful than the first and is when they usually decide how best to go about your problems.

the most important thing is to tell them what you think, dont hold things back because you feel silly saying them, they're there to help you but they cant read minds.

love Katy ***
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think i need to talk to a councellor... But I can't do it. I can't physically talk to someone face to face about my life. The words just won't come out. I admire people who go to talk to councellors. But I just couldn't do it...
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by ainat87)
I think i need to talk to a councellor... But I can't do it. I can't physically talk to someone face to face about my life. The words just won't come out. I admire people who go to talk to councellors. But I just couldn't do it...
Yeah, I know what you mean. The only time I've really talked in any depth about any of my problems was when I like broke down in front of my music teacher, and he was sweet cos he talked to me for like half the morning. I need to see a counsellor, but I don't think it's going to be easy, by any means.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Counsellors are lovely . I'm going to go and see a "CBT" person next term - crikey!
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, I know what you mean. The only time I've really talked in any depth about any of my problems was when I like broke down in front of my music teacher, and he was sweet cos he talked to me for like half the morning. I need to see a counsellor, but I don't think it's going to be easy, by any means.
I just couldn't talk to anyone. My mate tried to get me to go. She told her psychology teacher a little bit about me (i don't know her psychology teacher and she doesn't know me) which I was kinda angry about, but at the same time kinda relieved that someone had asked for help for me. Anyway, her teacher said to go to the college councellor. She tried to get me to go but I kept refusing. In the end I said I would go if we pretended we were going to ask for some information to help a friend. When we got there, much to my relief, the college councellor wasn't there. She must have been on lunch or something. And I'm considering that as a lucky escape. But I know I really should go...
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
what, they laugh at you're problems?
Well, not laugh, but more "I'm sure you're lying" or "I'm sure that isn't tru". Unhelpful and grumpy. She probably laughed/cackled behind our backs.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I can understand entirely...I have never told anyone my problems, which I guess is a bad thing because everything is locked up inside, creating immense pressure. Sometimes it can be so intense that pain would shoot up my neck and make my head hurt real bad, other times I go through periods of not eating or binging., the worst thing is probably when I resort to drink…its lovely to wake up in the morning with overwhelming pressure and having to drink half a bottle of vodka to take the pain away…but hey it works! I would like someone to talk to but, im scared...I don’t think i can trust anyone …ive been let down too many times.

I honestly wouldn’t go to a counsellor, because it gets put down on your medical record and that really isn’t good for when you apply to university and prospective employers...I posted something about it on the 'repercussions of going to the doctor thread'. It just tends to be a passing black cloud, and if things get really ****ty just take painkillers…just don’t reach out for the drink, seriously.

Dude...you have permission to add me to you signature if you ever want...
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
I honestly wouldn’t go to a counsellor, because it gets put down on your medical record and that really isn’t good for when you apply to university and prospective employers...I posted something about it on the 'repercussions of going to the doctor thread'. It just tends to be a passing black cloud, and if things get really ****ty just take painkillers…just don’t reach out for the drink, seriously.
I'm shocked... why should it go down on your uni application? That's so unfair.

Sorry to hear about your problems, that sounds awful
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

It doesn't, they ask for medical references and your school has to pass them on...
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i feel so left out

i've never cut myself

i've never had panic attacks

i've never had counselling

this forum is making me feel like a freak
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
i feel so left out

i've never cut myself

i've never had panic attacks

i've never had counselling

this forum is making me feel like a freak
We really are 2 of a kind
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
I can understand entirely...I have never told anyone my problems, which I guess is a bad thing because everything is locked up inside, creating immense pressure. Sometimes it can be so intense that pain would shoot up my neck and make my head hurt real bad, other times I go through periods of not eating or binging., the worst thing is probably when I resort to drink…its lovely to wake up in the morning with overwhelming pressure and having to drink half a bottle of vodka to take the pain away…but hey it works! I would like someone to talk to but, im scared...I don’t think i can trust anyone …ive been let down too many times.

Dude...you have permission to add me to you signature if you ever want...
I think I know how you feel.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Erm, I know you have to list any disability, but I don't remember having to note health probs or mental health ones, but I could be totally wrong unfortunately. I wasn't aware of any medical references.

I know there are future consequences of getting counselling (it's spelt with an s, most common mis-spelling I ever see on the net!) but if you want to see a counsellor, then you should. It's better to get it treated than to let it fester.

Blissy, what's CBT?
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
We really are 2 of a kind

don't knock it till ya try it team mate
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
It's better to get it treated than to let it fester.

Now without sounding like a cynic, its actually better to try and deal with problems yourself...people like me get used to it. Think about it, if you cant help yourself than no one can. Counsellors are just people like anyone else, theyre not going to be much more help than a friend. Theyre only there to listen and offer alternatives, and you have the upper hand from there; its all up to you.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed