Counselling? Watch

This discussion is closed.
FlutterByKisses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Now without sounding like a cynic, its actually better to try and deal with problems yourself...people like me get used to it. Think about it, if you cant help yourself than no one can. Counsellors are just people like anyone else, theyre not going to be much more help than a friend. Theyre only there to listen and offer alternatives, and you have the upper hand from there; its all up to you.
I think I agree with you. I keep thinking I need to see a counsellor, then I start thinking like that... and well, I just get myself totally confused.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Erm, I know you have to list any disability, but I don't remember having to note health probs or mental health ones, but I could be totally wrong unfortunately. I wasn't aware of any medical references.
Maybe because you dont have any health or 'mental problems'. Its not really something theyre going to ask on an application, but they do ask for medical references from the school. I'm applying to some sixth forms, and they have asked for medical information, mock results etc from school.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Now without sounding like a cynic, its actually better to try and deal with problems yourself...people like me get used to it. Think about it, if you cant help yourself than no one can. Counsellors are just people like anyone else, theyre not going to be much more help than a friend. Theyre only there to listen and offer alternatives, and you have the upper hand from there; its all up to you.
I know that dealing with mental illness is, eventually, down to the patient, and what you're saying is probably right - you have more experience of it than I do. I don't understand this at all yet, and it perplexes me (and to an extent upsets me) a lot, but one day I'm gonna have to learn it.

I know that you have to make yourself better, but surely, if someone is going to get worse on their own, it's worth trying treatment that might make them better before things get even worse?
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe because you dont have any health or 'mental problems'. Its not really something theyre going to ask on an application, but they do ask for medical references from the school. I'm applying to some sixth forms, and they have asked for medical information, mock results etc from school.
This is one of the main reasons why i wont go to a counsellor. I don't want it on my records. That, and I wouldn't be able to talk anyway....
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ainat87)
This is one of the main reasons why i wont go to a counsellor. I don't want it on my records. That, and I wouldn't be able to talk anyway....
I think we belong in the same boat...hopp on board!
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know that dealing with mental illness is, eventually, down to the patient, and what you're saying is probably right - you have more experience of it than I do. I don't understand this at all yet, and it perplexes me (and to an extent upsets me) a lot, but one day I'm gonna have to learn it.

I know that you have to make yourself better, but surely, if someone is going to get worse on their own, it's worth trying treatment that might make them better before things get even worse?

I guess so. But I don't know. I'm really not sure what I feel about seeking help. I think if I went to a counsellor I would be a nervous wreck. I don't think it would help. I know I have to help myself, but I have no idea where to start....
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think we belong in the same boat...hope on board!
Yay! Someone feels like I do. That makes me feel slightly better!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I guess so. But I don't know. I'm really not sure what I feel about seeking help. I think if I went to a counsellor I would be a nervous wreck. I don't think it would help. I know I have to help myself, but I have no idea where to start....
Yeah, I have friends on MSN who don't want to see counsellors either, so I know it's not unusual. I think that realising you need to help yourself is a good first step, and the way forward will hopefully appear some day
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, I have friends on MSN who don't want to see counsellors either, so I know it's not unusual. I think that realising you need to help yourself is a good first step, and the way forward will hopefully appear some day
I have a friend who I talk to about this stuff. We know eachother, but we mainly talk on msn. Don't actually get to see her that often.
Anyway, I know I need to help myself. Maybe the way forward will appear one day.... but I'm not so sure.

The smallest things make me cry. I'm almost in tears at the moment... because Everybody Hurts by REM is playing. I love that song... but it always makes me cry...
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have a friend who I talk to about this stuff. We know eachother, but we mainly talk on msn. Don't actually get to see her that often.
Anyway, I know I need to help myself. Maybe the way forward will appear one day.... but I'm not so sure.

The smallest things make me cry. I'm almost in tears at the moment... because Everybody Hurts by REM is playing. I love that song... but it always makes me cry...
oh my god...i love that song! you know what song makes me cry too...Pearl Jams Black...especially the guitar rifts in the middle for a strange reason..
Sam-Jade
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I would disagree! I am going counselling for the second time in my life at the mo and find it so helpful. The first time I had gone completely off the rails and this time is more about my brother but still it helps to put your life into perspective. since my first lot os sessions (aged 14) I have come so far and am now doing well at school and have a great life! all i would say is don't knock it till you try it and there are some nice ones out there. also i have been accepted to all of my Universities (even Reading) regardless about my past.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you think that talking to someone who is outside of the situation etc will help you, then you should do it- but don't do it just because someone else thinks you should
cushty
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
wot eve u do don drink the milk.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%