The Student Room Group

How much money can you live on at University?

I'm trying to decide which accommodation I should use for my first year at Abertay (Dundee). They have two undergrad accommodations (one of which is private owned) and several for returning students. The problem is, the cheapest accommodation for undergrad students is Alloway halls, which is three miles from the main campus. I'd rather not have to walk three miles every time I want to do some studying. The closer, private accommodation, Opal 1, is fine for location and looks quite appealing, but it's pretty expensive. Whilst Alloway would leave me with about £100 a week to live on, Opal 1 would give me at best £70 a week (possibly 60). I've been trying to guess how much groceries, transport, and supplies would come to, but honestly I don't have much faith in my verdict.

Of course there's always the option of picking one of the overgrad accommodations which, on account of sod's law, are all in a good location and have a low-ish rent.
I had to check the conversion, but to me, that sounds like a good amount to live on each week. I saw another thread where students were spending less than half of that on food, and doing fine. If you live close to the campus, you wouldn't be spending too much on transport.
Reply 2
£70 a week would be plenty to live on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending