Is there any way of getting funding for an Msc/Mres or anything else with a 2.2? Watch

mustardmonkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got a 2.2 from Warwick in Biological sciences - which is rather dissapointing.

I want to do an Msc, and there are quite a few unis and courses that accept lower seconds, but how on earth can I fund this? I'm thinking of applying to a number of places, including Tropical school of medicine, and UCL (which surprisingly, seems to tolerate 2.2s for immunology courses.

Whats my best chance of getting funding/financial support? I would have to pay approximately 9000 quid out of pocket without funding wouldn't I? Thats a nightmare. Or am I missing something?

mustardmonkey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How does anyone fund these things?

P.S. My ultimate aim is to get a PhD, and I'm willing to do alll sorts of things to get one. Even go abroad if needs be. Would foreign unis fund a PhD student with a 2.2.? Ive been told by a few academics that an Msc will mitigate the crappy 2.2, so i want to use the Msc as a stepping stone, so I can get PhD funding.....
Badges: 1
Report 5 years ago
There are only a finite number of ways to fund a Masters:

1) Get a loan. Check this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1538232

2) Apply for scholarships. Check individual universities and here: http://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/

3) Pay for it yourself. Which means either working and saving for some years or getting your family to support you.

With a 2.2 your chances of winning scholarships is lower, but you may overcome this through careful planning and good selling of your CV. You may indeed go abroad to study, but whether or not you qualify for scholarships again depends on the countries' policies and the resources of the universities you apply to. You will need to check these individually. Good luck.

EDIT: As a note, I couldn't afford a British Masters, so I went to Germany. They have a scholarship programme called the DAAD, which funded me for two years. It is highly competitive, as you can imagine, but maybe still worth checking out.
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could also look at Scandinavian unis: they don't charge fees to EU students, but you still have to find the money to live on and these countries have a high cost of living.
wellsbells
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DeMoomin)
EDIT: As a note, I couldn't afford a British Masters, so I went to Germany. They have a scholarship programme called the DAAD, which funded me for two years. It is highly competitive, as you can imagine, but maybe still worth checking out.

I'm currently getting all the paperwork together to apply for a DAAD scholarship to study a Masters in Germany next year.

Can I ask what you included in your 'study proposal'? I'm a little vague on what they want us to include, and I'm wondering whether it should be something like a 'statement of purpose'.. or more orientated to why this degree is helping us achieve our career/academic goals etc?

Also do you have any handy tips in applying for the DAAD? I am desperate to get this scholarship!!!
Badges: 1
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wellsbells)
I'm currently getting all the paperwork together to apply for a DAAD scholarship to study a Masters in Germany next year.

Can I ask what you included in your 'study proposal'? I'm a little vague on what they want us to include, and I'm wondering whether it should be something like a 'statement of purpose'.. or more orientated to why this degree is helping us achieve our career/academic goals etc?

Also do you have any handy tips in applying for the DAAD? I am desperate to get this scholarship!!!
Well, the study proposal is worded that way more for the PhD applicants. For Masters students they expect mainly a statement of purpose type of thing. You should explain your motivation for the course you've chosen and also show how it will further your career goals.

At least, that's what I did for mine. My only other handy tip is to read thoroughly the DAAD's motivation for giving out this scholarship. When I applied it seemed like they were looking for ambassadors to go back to their own countries after their time in Germany and promote the awesomeness that is Germany (and the country is bloody fantastic). So I tried to show also why I have a passion for Germany itself and am keen to discover more of it. I could also speak German, so I mentioned that. Although beware, any claims of language skills will be tested. In the interview, one of them randomly asked me a question in German. I did fine, obviously.

So yeah, read their stuff carefully and try to match yourself to their strategic aims.
chechi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dear DeMoomin,

i recently got an email from DAAD telling me that I have to attend a preselection interview. Can you give me any more information about your experience with the DAAD. I would really apreciate it
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?