Turn on thread page Beta

White British guilt/pride poll watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should white Brits feel guilty/proud or not bothered by their ancestors actions?
    Guilty
    5.48%
    Proud
    41.10%
    Not bothered/irrelevant to me
    53.42%

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, should white people feel guilty for the actions of our ancestors? E.g. The bad sides of the Empire etc
    or be proud of our ancestors?
    or not give two ****s as they lived a long time ago?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do anything my ancestors achieved, so there's nothing for me to feel proud or guilty about. I can still feel proud and special knowing that the history of my country is significant but there's nothing there that makes me feel guilty - after all, why should I feel guilty for what white people have achieved?

ReputationRep:
    Proud...Just like when Bolt destroys the field at the olympics black people feel proud, if a teenage Chinese genius comes along the Chinese feel proud.

White people achieved a lot in terms of advancing humans, they dominated the globe....this makes me feel proud, it is human nature to feel that way. Logically it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. Obviously others will come on here and say when watching the Olympics they felt no emotion because it wasn't them winning, or purely because they feel guilty(yet no one has voted) and don't want to be seen as racist due to 'white pride'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I didn't do anything my ancestors achieved, so there's nothing for me to feel proud or guilty about. I can still feel proud and special knowing that the history of my country is significant but there's nothing there that makes me feel guilty - after all, why should I feel guilty for what white people have achieved?
    This, it was the like a ridiculous thread I saw a while ago which claimed the British should compensate remaining native Indians in America. I'm not going to be held responsible for anything my ancestors may or may not have done - precisely because I played no part in those actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OedipusTheKing)
    Precisely, it was the like a ridiculous thread I saw a while ago which claimed the British should compensate remaining native Indians in America. I'm not going to be held responsible for anything my ancestors may or may not have done - precisely because I played no part in those actions.
    Agreed with these two. I don't see why people jump on the bandwagon sometimes. It encourages patriotism which isn't exactly a good thing

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud of the good things and sad about the bad things.

ReputationRep:
    I feel neither proud nor guilty.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that proud is not the right word for the the feeling you get for your country's history/ancestors. I am not sure of the right word, but nonetheless I am very much against Mr_Mad6 insulting people with no understanding who they are or what they have done. No matter who you are you become history and part of that country, be it positive, negative or just existing and if you cannot be proud for existing then what can you be proud about.

I am "proud" of what Britain has accomplished over the years, they have had one of the largest Empires ever known and although at first this was done by war, they/we gave it up but still helped nations and cities that it colonised. In addition if you look at the nations/cities that were part of the British Empire they are all now a lot more better off then the other surrounding countries and have had in general a positive impact. It has also allowed Britain to be one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world, and if that is not a good thing then I do not know what is.

What I hate is when someone is blamed for their ancestors' past and then told to repay damages, something that they had no control or responsiblity over but is still blamed. Slavery is a huge example of this, generally slavery is pointed and blamed at white people, USA and UK in particular, but no one mentions that it was other tribes in Africa taking slaves and selling them to White people or to Asians who also too Black slaves.

ReputationRep:
    Mr_Mad6 is probably a labour voting black person who goes to a polytechnic. English people have a right to be proud of their scientific and cultural achievements because an ethnicity is nothing more than an extended family.

English people are more related to english people than other peoples. It's like supporting the success of your family members.

Each and every culture should be proud of what they have achieved in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    Agreed with these two. I don't see why people jump on the bandwagon sometimes. It encourages patriotism which isn't exactly a good thing

Patriotism is fine, when it leads to xenophobia and racism that's when it becomes a problem. I know a lot of patriotic people who aren't racist orhold any predjudice against anyone whos different, like me for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian C)
    I believe that proud is not the right word for the the feeling you get for your country's history/ancestors. I am not sure of the right word, but nonetheless I am very much against Mr_Mad6 insulting people with no understanding who they are or what they have done. No matter who you are you become history and part of that country, be it positive, negative or just existing and if you cannot be proud for existing then what can you be proud about.

I am "proud" of what Britain has accomplished over the years, they have had one of the largest Empires ever known and although at first this was done by war, they/we gave it up but still helped nations and cities that it colonised. In addition if you look at the nations/cities that were part of the British Empire they are all now a lot more better off then the other surrounding countries and have had in general a positive impact. It has also allowed Britain to be one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world, and if that is not a good thing then I do not know what is.

What I hate is when someone is blamed for their ancestors' past and then told to repay damages, something that they had no control or responsiblity over but is still blamed. Slavery is a huge example of this, generally slavery is pointed and blamed at white people, USA and UK in particular, but no one mentions that it was other tribes in Africa taking slaves and selling them to White people or to Asians who also too Black slaves.

Arabs were the biggest slavers of african people all the way back to medieval times. Even in the ancient egyptians had black slaves.
    Guilt about slavery is a left wing ploy to rob hard working whites of their wealth through taxes or 'reparations'.

ReputationRep:
    On the flip-side ...whilst I feel pride about what white Brits achieved. I also feel guilt if watching TV and something about slavery comes on or say concentration camps with the Nazi's....once again logically it doesn't make sense, it is just part of human nature. Maybe some people can totally disassociate themselves from all of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andyrobbo1994)
    Patriotism is fine, when it leads to xenophobia and racism that's when it becomes a problem. I know a lot of patriotic people who aren't racist orhold any predjudice against anyone whos different, like me for example
    I must have meant Nationalism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    On the flip-side ...whilst I feel pride about what white Brits achieved. I also feel guilt if watching TV and something about slavery comes on or say concentration camps with the Nazi's....once again logically it doesn't make sense, it is just part of human nature. Maybe some people can totally disassociate themselves from all of that.
    Yeah concentration camps were disgusting but feeling guilt for them isn't something you should do, it will over time effect your personal self esteem.

I want everyone to read this next bit carefully, otherwise I am sure someone will call me racist.

Their sacrifices were not in vain, some of the experiments carried out by "scientists" have provided actual data and information that would be almost impossible to get without these horrendous conditions and ethics. Such as the effect of starvation on the human body, trying to change eye colour, to an extent radiation, but the most famous would be that of the true effect of cold on the body. These are basically impossible to do in our ethics driven society and should be, but the Nazi Scientists that did these have given us the data so we don't need to. Its horrific that it happened but even in bad scenarios we can find some good to benefit someone. Many people have actually been saved by this data. It is not worth 6 million people I don't think, but it goes a bit of the way to help it heal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm black or "black British" (but even that is debatable). I don't really understand this whole phenomenon of white guilt. Yes, being white 100 years ago would be associated with with both positive and negative connotations. "Black slavery", "colonialism", "African exploitation" "racism" etc. However, we are not in the same era of profiling individuals on the basis of their skin colour. Thus, there is nothing to be guilty about. I don't feel guilty of the recent terror attack in Woolwich as it has nothing to do with me. Associating yourself with other perpetrators who are of a similar skin complexion is silly.

Regarding British" pride, there is nothing wrong with being "proud" with what Britain has achieved. I am glad of what Britain has achieved,and feel proud to be part of it, and I am not white.

(Original post by DarthVador)
    Mr_Mad6 is probably a labour voting black person who goes to a polytechnic. .
    You shouldn't stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OedipusTheKing)
    This, it was the like a ridiculous thread I saw a while ago which claimed the British should compensate remaining native Indians in America. I'm not going to be held responsible for anything my ancestors may or may not have done - precisely because I played no part in those actions.
    I can't believe people even bothered to suggest that, how ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    The only reason white pride is frowned upon I because we live in a white majority nation

I mean have you ever seen a Black pride association in a place like Nigeria

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, should white people feel guilty for the actions of our ancestors? E.g. The bad sides of the Empire etc
    On one hand, certainly not. It was a long time ago, and not the actions of the people today. It is good to reflect on what happened in the past, but I don't think it should take the form of pride or shame.

More importantly, many of us are likely to not even have ancestors who were involved. As a European, and white, I am sick to death of "Europeans did this" and "White people did this". The imperialism people so often complain about was undertaken by a minority of European and white countries, let alone people within those countries.

Should Poles feel guilty for what the Spanish did because they share skin colour? Should the Irish feel guilty for what the Nazis did because they too share a skin colour? Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Why just white people? Why not blacks and Asians too?

ReputationRep:
    Proud, and proud of it. Pride is defined as "a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired."We live in a great country with a great history. I feel privileged to be where I am today, and the reason it's so good is because of all the amazing work the millons of Brits before me have put in to make it so. I'm proud of being a part of that group and a product of their labours.

Not sure why you included the thing about white people. Don't feel the same about that I guess; not shameful, I just don't care as much.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.